ModusOperadus

Mar 13, 2021
Canada
Parrots
9 month old - yellow sided green cheek conure - Chikoo
Hello! I recently noticed this really weird growth in my conure's tail. I've never seen something like this before so I was concerned if I should visit a vet right away. Not sure if anyone else has seen something like this and offer any advice, but he doesn't let me touch it and bites me very angrily when I do. I don't know what that black stem is, but it's growing featherless. He's eating and behaving fine other than when I try to touch his tail, so i'm not sure if it's something serious, or if it will pass if I give it some time to grow out. :confused: Thanks in advance!

25969d1615666193-weird-tail-growth-tail-growth-2.jpg

Attachments

• Tail Growth 2.jpg
    Tail Growth 2.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited by a moderator:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Never seen anything like it. Best is to get a real certified AVAIN vet to check it out.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There appears to be a broken feather above and a bit to the right of the odd feather growth. The appearance is more like a feather that had been damaged as part of its growth and is now pushing a partial structure.

Likely painful, likely prone too breaking and as a result, likely to bleed. Fully agree with above. Time to visit an Avian Medical Professional.

Have not seen anything like that before.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
Quite irregular. I would remove it.

Both of us know how and are fully ready to deal with a blood feather or like emergency. Not everyone is so prepared. Hence, I lean toward having an Avian Professional involved.

I can appreciate and have respect for the view. It is important to know your limits.

I recommend those that are capable and have the desire to acquire the ability, to do so. The knowledge and experienced gained can defuse a serious threatening situation, should it arise. The situation did arise with Meisha. Monkeying around, she fell to the bottom of her cage, rupturing a blood feather in the tail. Aware she needed help, she screamed in desperation. It was different. We were all in other rooms at my office. I responded. The blood loss to the bottom of the cage was excessive. The removal was messy and quick. The bleeding stopped abruptly.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi Modus

Before you contemplate removing the feather, please make sure you read/watch plenty of info on the procedure, and have all the needed or possibly needed tools, etc right at hand when you do so, if you decide to do so. Stellar idea to have these all together already, as a kind of emergency kit, because you never know when a feather must be removed immediately. Like if he falls and breaks a blood feather. In those cases you can't wait for a vet visit. Broken blood feathers can act as a faucet for blood and birds can quickly bleed out if the flow can't be stopped almost immediately.

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
Hi Modus
Before you contemplate removing the feather, please make sure you read/watch plenty of info on the procedure, and have all the needed or possibly needed tools, etc right at hand when you do so, if you decide to do so. Stellar idea to have these all together already, as a kind of emergency kit, because you never know when a feather must be removed immediately. Like if he falls and breaks a blood feather. In those cases you can't wait for a vet visit. Broken blood feathers can act as a faucet for blood and birds can quickly bleed out if the flow can't be stopped almost immediately.

Indeed good advice. Here are some search results with more resources available on line:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK3fsHUDgtU"]How to Remove a Blood Feather / Video[/ame]

Most Reactions

Latest posts