We've Had a Setback

alcmene

Jan 16, 2014
Alabama
Parrots
sun conure- Lucy
cockatiel- Mr Peabody
Hi guys!

I've gotten a bunch of PM's and requests in the original thread for updates about our cockatiel and Sun Conure. Sorry about my extended absence. After our storied beginning, we've had a setback.

I got pneumonia and spent a week in bed so sick I could barely drag myself to the bathroom. Then my 2 year old caught it and spent 2 weeks in the hospital in intensive care. She is home and much better now, but worrying every second that we could lose her was the scariest time of my entire life.

Anywho, during the week that I was sick, the birds received basic care- food, water, clean cages- but not much in the way of attention. When the baby got sick my mother came to stay with us to watch the other kids and care for the house/pets so my husband could go to work and I could stay with the baby at the hospital.

Unfortunately, my mother never goes anywhere without the most horrible, ill behaved yap yap dog on the earth. She is also one of those people who thinks she's an expert at everything (even things she doesn't actually know anything about).

My mother had strict instructions to leave the birds alone, but since she always knows best about everything, she decided to get Lucy (our Sun) out. Lucy climbed up on to the top of her cage and then, predictably, refused to either return to the cage or step up on to my mother's (a complete stranger) hand. When attempting to coax Lucy with sweet talk and treats didn't work, my mother tried to just grab her, and received a (completely deserved) bite. After that, she threw a towel over Lucy and smooshed her back in to the cage that way.

When I heard, I was FURIOUS. There are not words to describe how angry I was. She had turned my perfect bird in to a biter by not following simple instructions to just leave the birds alone!!! It gets worse.

Over the course of her visit, my mother's horrible yap-yap dog yapped. And yapped. And yapped. 24/7. Never. Shuts. Up.

Between the stress of no attention from her family, being manhandled by my mother, and listening to that damn dog, Lucy started tearing out the feathers on her chest! :(

I know we didn't have another choice, it's not like you can choose spending time with your parrot over spending time with your hospitalized baby. But I am just heart broken. Since my mother left, Lucy has continued to pick at her chest- but much less. She's pulling out a few feathers a day vs bucketloads when I was gone. Her chest isn't totally bald, she's still covered in white fluffy down, but all of her orange feathers are gone.

I want to treat this aggressively, since I know that feather picking can become a lifelong habit if not gotten in check immediately. I know that usually, the first stop is to the vet. But she just had a complete vet work up a month ago and I think it's pretty obvious that this is stress related not a sickness problem.

Here's what I've done so far:
-Have been spending TONS of time with her.
-Got her one of those sweaters for feather pickers. I'm still getting her used to being around it, so she hasn't actually worn it yet.
-Got her a fleece sleep tent to snuggle in. I didn't have one in there before because I've read that they can stimulate mating type behaviors, but she was just so shivery and cold, I thought it might make her happy to have something to cuddle in. She LOVES it. I've been putting it in her cage at night for her to sleep in and taking it out during the day.
-Bought a gazillion new toys that are marketed specifically towards feather pickers. She has spent a lot of time plucking those, which is hopefully cutting down on her plucking herself.
-Have been bathing her every day with "avian solution bath spray"
-Bought some Harrison's bird bread and made the mix with Sunshine Factor. Have been feeding her that daily (in addition to the Harrison's pellets and fresh foods she already gets).

Any other ideas about things I should be doing (or not doing) to get her to stop feather picking before it turns in to a habit?

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
First I'm glad everyone is okay!

My plucker loves fleece snuggies. So instead of a tent you could use one of those if she starts believing the tent is a good nest area.You can also try aloe spray either one made for birds or make your own. You can also try a foot toy basket (put toys and food in there) and just move it around or take it out randomly to keep her from thinking its a good nesting spot. If she has a favorite food make foraging toys that have that food in it to keep her busy. Let her see you putting them in there and if she's not good at foraging make it easy at first.

I give baths and use aloe spray after the bath. He is a mutilator so I do this when I see him getting a little too focused on his shoulder or his upper chest. It keeps him distracted with getting his feathers in order and he forgets about the scabbed areas for a bit. Don't know if this works for plucking.

Also, redirection. Every time you see her starting in on her chest give her a toy to distract her. You can cover her with a napkin and roll her around in it. My sun thinks this is a great game. You could also do some training with her to get her to bond and focus on something else. Clicker training, trick training, target training.

I would find a bird person around that could take your birds incase of another emergency. Or a bird sitter and lock that cage up so only you and the sitter have the keys.

Edit: A humidifier will also help with any itching caused by dry air or just plain irritation from yanking out her feathers.

Last edited:
OP
A

alcmene

Jan 16, 2014
Alabama
Parrots
sun conure- Lucy
cockatiel- Mr Peabody
I am so upset about all of this. Every time I look at her plucked chest I want to cry. My poor sweet baby.

Whoa- I just saw in your signature- did you get another bare eyed cockatoo?!

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Haha yeah I got my own bare eyed boy, Folger, from a rescue two weeks ago:D He is my plucker/mutilator. If you look in the cockatoo section or under my started threads you can see many many videos:54: He seems to have formed his own fan club on here!

My one gcc plucked two years in row in the beginning of January. It was from the dry air and I was upset I didn't figure it out the first time. He had finally gotten all his feathers back and then they were gone again over night. He is just starting to get his feathers back again. Its upsetting because you think its your fault but sometimes it just happens. Your girl should have them all back within the year:D

OP
A

alcmene

Jan 16, 2014
Alabama
Parrots
sun conure- Lucy
cockatiel- Mr Peabody
OMG FOLGER!

I've spent the last hr obsessively reading all your posts about him. I love him. I love you for loving him. Everyone deserves to have someone care about them. Even a bald biting cockatoo. Thanks Riddick- now I am just a bawling mess. :p

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
Make sure you're not rushing to give her attention when you catch her in the act. You don't want her to think plucking = more attention. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but thankfully it sounds like things are improving already. Hopefully the feather plucking is only temporary. Good luck & keep us updated.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
:D Seems Folger has another fan:cool: *Hands tissue* He really is a good boy so far even if he does like to pick on the parents. Not that I don't find that part hilarious:54: He hasn't bitten me since he came home so we shall see how long that streak lasts...

How is Mr. Peabody? Did he handle the stress better then Lucy?

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
A fleece snugglie / preener might be a great add for her cage. I make them for Victoria's (Riddick07) Folger and for the shelter babies at A Helping Wing. Super easy to make. Here are some pics and if you want to try one I can walk you through the how tos....

And don't blame yourself, you took the steps and provided clear directions.... and even with how much we love our birds, I would have been at the hospital just like you.

With life back to normal, I am sure the plucking will resolve with all the steps you are taking. A longtime plucker would be more challenge, your baby just had a ton of stress... Much like when we reach the end of our rope and want to pull our hair out, well she did!!

I am happy to hear your human baby girl is okay!! I hope you are taking care of yourself too!!

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Yeah the pictures mother...not there...are they invisible???:p:54:

OP
A

alcmene

Jan 16, 2014
Alabama
Parrots
sun conure- Lucy
cockatiel- Mr Peabody
I would definitely like instructions on how to make a fleece snugglie/preener, as soon as I figure out what that is lol

OP
A

alcmene

Jan 16, 2014
Alabama
Parrots
sun conure- Lucy
cockatiel- Mr Peabody
How is Mr. Peabody? Did he handle the stress better then Lucy?

Mr Peabody is exactly the same as always. My 5yo was still home and sticking to her standard daily routine. So nothing was different for Mr Peabody- he got all the usual love from his girl. Poor Lucy was just missing her mama! (4 months ago I thought bird people were a tad nutty. Now I'm not even a bit ashamed to say how much I love that silly little bird!)

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
[URL=http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/jenphilly2/media/AHW/IMG_32415571745316_zeah

I noticed then it made me wait to post again..... just adding one its a major pain on the tablet...

Alc - enjoy while your girls are still young, they can become such pains... and never leave home, knew I should have beaten her.... :)

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
IMG_32388774595658.jpeg

IMG_32399940611284.jpeg

IMG_32415571745316.jpeg

ha, I win.... finally :)

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Poor Lucy! At least she has her mama back now. Suns are such endearing little creatures.

Glad to hear that your baby and you are better. Hang in there. :64:

JasmineGCC

Oct 4, 2012
England
Parrots
Jasmine my pineapple green cheeked conure, hatched 17 April 2012
My GCC loves preening tassel toys and plastic chains. Each evening she preens them for hours but better that than her own feathers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 161
OP
A

alcmene

Jan 16, 2014
Alabama
Parrots
sun conure- Lucy
cockatiel- Mr Peabody
Jenphilly those are awesome! Lucy would love one. How do i make them?

Most Reactions

Latest posts