Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Strudel - that's so AWFUL! So he got a little extra protein in the cereal right?! They must not have had a flavor :eek:

I have a similar but not 'quite as' gross story. I was once eating the most truly DELICIOUS steamed broccoli... I even said "mm, this has a nice sweet flavor to it. Then a steamed Aphid dropped off into my dollop of mayonnaise... I looked at the broccoli and to my horror, there were a bunch of them!!! ...and NO I didn't keep eating. I no longer thought it was delicious :(

While I find some things gross, unpleasant, etc., the only 2 things I TRULY "freak out" about are maggots and people doing :vomit-smi in public.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I think the people being sick thing is a biological response, like yawning.

It WAS awful, after he'd scoffed the bowl and saw the crawling mess, we asked him about the taste of it and how he hadn't noticed. He said it tasted a bit strange, but not so as to notice.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
ROACHES!!! OMG, I am beyond terrified of a roach - any roach, even tiny ones. I will literally run away, jump on my bed and not come out until my son murders the beast and comes to show me the corpse! :eek:

Other things that freak me out are maggots (I suggested, from my perch atop the stove! we burn the house down when we found some in our garbage bin LOL!) and clowns (another IT victim here!). And vomit! I once had my father cut my nighty off my body because my then 6 month old son had vomitted all over me and I refused to pull thatt disgusting mess over my head! It was so funny - it was late at night and we were the only ones awake so the task fell to my poor dad who did it with his eyes mostly closed ("but my girl, your modesty!"). I was 26 at the time so you can imagine how scandalised Dad was having to cut clothing from the body of his adult daughter! LOL!!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Working in hospitals for years. I'm not a nurse, I'm I.T. I thought snakes were mine until I was in the ER working on a PC in a trauma room. A teenage boy had been brought in and he was waiting in the room, nothing critical, just using the room. The doctor told me what the problem was so I'm working on the PC, and the doctor starts working on the kid. He looks fine! He had a cockroach lodged in his ear. It had crawled in his ear and was stuck. The kids mother would squeal each time the doctor tried to remove it. I excused myself, said I had to check on something, left the room and did the eeby jeeby dance in the restroom next door.

I told the unit nurse to page me when the room was empty and I'd be back. To this day, bugs and the human body, OMG, it makes my skin crawl!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
My auntie used to live way up north. She told us of a woman up there who had a problem with her leg and it turned out that it had been flyblown, and then healed over the top. Inside her leg was full of maggots. Yuck.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
ROACHES!!! OMG, I am beyond terrified of a roach - any roach, even tiny ones. I will literally run away, jump on my bed and not come out until my son murders the beast and comes to show me the corpse! :eek:

Other things that freak me out are maggots (I suggested, from my perch atop the stove! we burn the house down when we found some in our garbage bin LOL!) and clowns (another IT victim here!). And vomit! I once had my father cut my nighty off my body because my then 6 month old son had vomitted all over me and I refused to pull thatt disgusting mess over my head! It was so funny - it was late at night and we were the only ones awake so the task fell to my poor dad who did it with his eyes mostly closed ("but my girl, your modesty!"). I was 26 at the time so you can imagine how scandalised Dad was having to cut clothing from the body of his adult daughter! LOL!!

OMG!! LMAO The stories keep getting worse! :eek:

Working in hospitals for years. I'm not a nurse, I'm I.T. I thought snakes were mine until I was in the ER working on a PC in a trauma room. A teenage boy had been brought in and he was waiting in the room, nothing critical, just using the room. The doctor told me what the problem was so I'm working on the PC, and the doctor starts working on the kid. He looks fine! He had a cockroach lodged in his ear. It had crawled in his ear and was stuck. The kids mother would squeal each time the doctor tried to remove it. I excused myself, said I had to check on something, left the room and did the eeby jeeby dance in the restroom next door.

I told the unit nurse to page me when the room was empty and I'd be back. To this day, bugs and the human body, OMG, it makes my skin crawl!

Wow, I'm surprised they let you stay in the exam room :11: haha isn't a doctor visit supposed to be confidential?! (At least it was only an ear :52:) I don't blame you for leaving the room!

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Healthcare has so many electronic devices used to treat patients that we do get called in during treatment and that is to fix something. Confidentiality is a must. :)

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
OMG, this is an awful thread! :eek: Great awful though! ;)

Glad to see I'm not the only sissy here! LOL!

Funny how so many of us are afraid of small things that can't hurt us, eh? I'm fine with snakes, crocodiles, robbers even (once confronted a robber with a chefs knife in hand, yes really!) But something as insignificant as a roach sends me screaming like a girly from the room :D

lucy1

Nov 6, 2012
UK
Parrots
Milo - my new baby B&G macaw! Rosie - Orange Wing Amazon & Rupert - Red Lored Amazon
TessieB, presumably that's BEFORE you eat it, right? Horrible image of finishing the bowl off and finding them in the leftover milk in the bottom of the bowl. Bleugh!!

DustytheDusky

Mar 9, 2014
Upstate New York
Parrots
Dusty the Dusky Conure
As many of you know i have a collection of different animals/ reptiles. So not much in the animal world freaks me out. Though I must say that I am petrified of spiders. My boyfrien d who has a tarantula constantly makes fun of me when I shudder when his moves about its terrarium.
My co-workers find it funny that I have a tarantula living in my apartment and yet I run for the nearest hill the second I see even the smallest spider.

When I was younger, around the age of ten I believe, I was bitten by a small spider in the basement of my parents house. My face swelled up like a balloon... My mom took me the the hospital. they gave me meds to stop the allergic reaction, however...the swelling in my face didnt go down for another two days!

LauraBear

Mar 22, 2014
Mississippi
Parrots
Seamus -GCC
Being covered up... or tight fitting shirt collars... or anything on top of me. Let's just say I have a not so healthy dose of claustrophobia. I start flipping out and having a panic attack if anything prevents me from breathing the slightest.

Flying cockroaches definitely kills me inside a little. I run around screaming bloody murder when I see one (now granted I can handle hissing cockroaches, but that's different).

And finally, depending on my emotional level for the day, I have severe anxiety/panic attacks when its raining and I happen to be driving. I was in a really bad car accident a few years ago involving of course rain and driving and ever since then, if I'm at an emotionally low or weak level and it just so happens to be raining and I'm driving... lets just say I have to pull over or drive like a super granny to get where I'm going.

And those are my fears. Go me!

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Mine is hard to explain (maybe if i made more sense of it, i would 'overcome' it so to speak). It's a nuance of being invaded/controlled. And i say nuance because it can be totally, far out irrational and i know it, but i can't control my response.

I get extreme anxiety during an eye exam, dental exam, blood draw.....i think i perceive it as an 'assault' on some level, invading me, too close for comfort (eye exam....all up in my face....i get all sweaty and dizzy and ask them to get away from me and let me breathe). I even have nightmares about being abducted for medical research (like those horrible undercover PETA photos) with horrible things inserted in me everywhere against my will.

Hey i am a recovered anorexic, i totally can't help myself, LOL!!! I have issues with being in total control of my body and i think these are spinoff fears.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Centipedes, as I was explaining on a different thread, freak me out to the point of tears. I was attacked in my sleep when I was like 14/15 years old by a "GIANT desert centipede" (and they aren't lying when they use the word giant:eek:) that managed to crawl IN my bed. The one that attacked me was about 6" long and probably one of the most traumatizing event in my entire life. Heres a pic of one I found online, just to emphasize how truly awful these things are:
CENTIPEDE.jpg

Even my dad was terrified of it, but he was the one who got to kill it since me and my mom were just incapacitated with fear. To this day, even things with a "segmented" appearance, like the vacuum hose and stuff, give me twinges of anxiety and fear:(

No idea why as I've never even owned a dog, and never had a "bad" experience with one, but I've always been petrified of dog poop. I can't even walk across the grass in public places (like a park) because I so freaked about the fact dogs have pooped in it. It drives my husband nuts, but I will walk the long way around grassy areas because merely stepping in grass that may have had dogs on it makes my chest tightens, I feel a knot in my stomach and my heart start pounding. I feel like crying and vomiting when I see where people have not cleaned up after their animal. As I've gotten older, it's gotten worse and I'm starting to have weird reactions when I just see a dog. It's actually a really bad phobia to have, because people have dogs AND grass EVERYWHERE these days.

Other things that bring on major anxiety- the thought of touching meat of any kind, any speck of food residue left on a dish after washing, food residue building up on the stovetop burners, touching coins (the smell!), and grocery shopping, which I HAVE to do very late at night. I have an absolutely irrational fear of people talking to me at a grocery store (like running into someone I know). Anywhere else, I can slap on a smile and play nice, but while grocery shopping, it's like my brain shuts down when someone say "hi" to me (even the cashier I'm not fond of saying much to).

Ok, I re-read that before I posted, and I promise I am not *completely* insane, just have some really severe anxiety issues and 'sensitivities' to unusual things.

Last edited:

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
EEEEEE!!!! Kiwi bird I can't even look at that picture- scrolling on my phone is giving me the heeby jeebies!!! :eek:

I'm outta here!LOL

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Kiwi--that centipede story is nuts. I have them in my basement in the summer sometimes, but not the giant ones. My friend is terrified of even the smaller ones like i have. They can be aggressive, i have always heard, but never was personally bitten (thank god)

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I hate finding rat turds in my cereal.

:eek: !!!

ignorance and selfish people.

Now there's something to be afraid of.... REALLY.

To this day, even things with a "segmented" appearance, like the vacuum hose and stuff, give me twinges of anxiety and fear:(
I have an absolutely irrational fear of people talking to me at a grocery store (like running into someone I know).

That THING looks rubber.. LOL "segmented" like the vacuum hose :D luckily there are so many different styles on the market today!

Oooh I know!! I do hate running into people "I know" in public at a store! I can't even give you a reason why. I suppose although I'm a generally friendly person, I don't always like to be bothered, I'd rather go on with my own business and not be seen... I hide and run away hoping they don't see me LOL. I admit it's strange. I do vacillate between extremes being an introvert and an extrovert at different times.

I think MANY TIMES our irrational fears come from experiences in childhood and are subconscious, but of course there are residual fears from conscious bad experiences.

I say we all need lessons from Emily (frumpydumple) who maintains she is afraid of NOTHING! :11:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
It's funny none of the "other" bugs bother me- spiders, roaches, ants.... In fact, most bugs (if they venture inside) I will scoop in a cup and release outside. I will smoosh poisonous ones like scorpions and some spiders (black widows).Even tarantulas don't bother me, I've actually "helped" a few off the road and into the brush before (on a chunk of bark or paper, I think their poisonous to touch). I'm really *hoping* Oregon doesn't have the same kind of horrible things living here that Arizona did. Everything there was prickly, predatory, carried disease or was outright poisonous!

While it left no lasting fears, there was one night when Joe was at work I decided to turn the heater on for the first time that season. All of a sudden, I look over and there are literally thousands upon thousands of red fire ants pouring out of the heater vent and coating the walls, floor and ceiling:52:. I guess the heater warming up knocked their nest loose or something. Fearing the swarming/stinging ants could kill or eat them, I grabbed Tiffany and Leo (we didn't have Kiwi back then), and hightailed it out of there. The landlord lived on premise, but after nearly pounding the door in, I couldn't get him to answer so I put the lizards on the dash of my car and drove like 80mph to walmart to buy out all their raid. What a crackhead I must've looked like running into walmart in a panic at like 11:30pm, in my pjs with 2 lizards and buying up a bunch of bug spray:11: Thankfully, a neighbor was still up and watch Tiff and Leo while I "fumigated" the ever living you know what out of that apartment. By the time Joe got home, everything was dripping with dead ants and coated in bug spray, so we had to spend the night at his moms. The landlord felt I "overreacted" when Joe went to his door the next morning and demanded he address the situation of why a bajillion ants came pouring into our apartment:20:

Another major freaky, make your skin crawl "bug" problem was this article. Still not sure if it's an urban legend or not, but I know it certainly freaked me the hell out when my MIL first showed me it. I'll post a link and not the pic because it is really disturbing and graphic, especially to us girls-
Breast Infestation - Urban Legends

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
COCKROACHES!!!! We had some squatters who lived next door for over a year that I swear bred the things. When they left that's when we started to see them in our trailer. The German kind. First it was just one or two, then three - five at a time but only in my kitchen. I am a clean person. I even took apart my stove to make sure there was no food in e crevices. Then one day, I saw one in my bathroom and that was it for me. Either they go or I go. I will not cohabitant with cockroaches. Just so happens we know someone who was an exterminator. At first he wanted to bomb the place but I said no way because of my birds so instead he laid down a gel that would actually attract them eat the food and take it back to the nest and kill them. I haven't seen one roach since.

Most Reactions

Latest posts