What absolutely freaks YOU out?!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

Another major freaky, make your skin crawl "bug" problem was this article. Still not sure if it's an urban legend or not, but I know it certainly freaked me the hell out when my MIL first showed me it. I'll post a link and not the pic because it is really disturbing and graphic, especially to us girls-
Breast Infestation - Urban Legends

:eek: :eek: Please add the above to THE most freakish things I have EVER seen. <tightly clutching my girl bits right this moment>

Let me emphasize that the link is in fact VERY disturbing and VERY graphic.....

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
It is horrible isn't it Wendy! Again, I don't know if that is real or photoshopped, but that image has been around for a long time and with some of the parasites and worms out there, it may be true (ever seen that show "Monsters inside me"?). What I DO know is if that happened to me, they might as well lock me away in the asylum because even if they cured the infestation, mentally, I would never ever ever recover
cjjjE.gif

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
It is horrible isn't it Wendy! Again, I don't know if that is real or photoshopped, but that image has been around for a long time and with some of the parasites and worms out there, it may be true (ever seen that show "Monsters inside me"?). What I DO know is if that happened to me, they might as well lock me away in the asylum because even if they cured the infestation, mentally, I would never ever ever recover
cjjjE.gif

YES, I actually like the show "Monsters inside Me", but NOTHING could have prepared me for what stared back at me when opening that link.

And I'm with you, April, if THAT ever happened to me, might as well lock me up and throw away the key. There would be no coming back, for sure.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
For many years, it was Scorpions. We had an incident when we lived in Venezuela where I happened to run across a nest of them, and was covered in the things...

Not so much anymore, though we do have them here in Texas. I am LESS freaked out than I used to be.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
As many of you know i have a collection of different animals/ reptiles. So not much in the animal world freaks me out. Though I must say that I am petrified of spiders. My boyfrien d who has a tarantula constantly makes fun of me when I shudder when his moves about its terrarium.

Where I lived in NorCal, we had the spider migration. The Tarantula's go from one side of the hill to the other side of the hill at a certain time of year, which has something to do with the warmth of the sun in certain spots. I never really understood it.

I was actually moving in, and I heard the pitter patter of little feet. I was thinking we had mice. I turned around, and lo and behold there was a single file line of spiders...

Ended up scooping them up in a coffee can, and releasing them where they were supposed to go. Easiest migration those guys ever had!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
If I saw something like that centipede, I'd pull out my trusty shop vac, and get him that way... Bye, bye bug!

There aren't that many things that freak me out.

All those years of skydiving and surfing taught me not to give into fear... and if you panic you are dead. Period! Fear is just something you learn to deal with. The more you give into fear, the more that fear grows. The only way to overcome a fear is to face it. Usually the fear itself is worse than the thing you are afraid of - USUALLY -

I have a healthy respect for poisonous things that bite or sting. I prefer to avoid them.

Oddly enough, I was afraid of heights when I went rock climbing, BUT not while climbing up or repelling down. As long as I had the rope on I was fine. When I got to the top? Not so much... GET ME DOWN NOW!

BUT WING WALKING OR STUPID AIRCRAFT TRICKS IS PERFECTLY FINE... not even nervous. In fact, it's the most fun I've had (with my pants on.) So, go figure!

lucy1

Nov 6, 2012
UK
Parrots
Milo - my new baby B&G macaw! Rosie - Orange Wing Amazon & Rupert - Red Lored Amazon
Err..., Birdman666, thanks for the tip- I'm never going to NorCal. Ever. Mice, fine, a whole LINE of spiders?! Nope nope nope nope nope!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397078114.568179.jpg

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
The Tarantula's go from one side of the hill to the other side of the hill at a certain time of year, which has something to do with the warmth of the sun in certain spots. I never really understood it.

I was actually moving in, and I heard the pitter patter of little feet. I was thinking we had mice. I turned around, and lo and behold there was a single file line of spiders...

Ended up scooping them up in a coffee can, and releasing them where they were supposed to go. Easiest migration those guys ever had!

That happened when we lived in Oklahoma as well. After the male tarantulas shed their skin into their final stage (they "hook" out), the males all wonder off into the same direction, looking to "procreate". :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Is that what it was?

I just called my friends at the Lindsay, and they laughed at me and said, spider migration... All I know is the line wanted to go from point A to point B, but my garage was in the way.

Glad they weren't like say a horny Doxhound... can you imagine that one? Hello, yes, there are these giant spiders and they are trying to hump my leg...

Now that probably WOULD freak me out... :22:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Err..., Birdman666, thanks for the tip- I'm never going to NorCal. Ever. Mice, fine, a whole LINE of spiders?! Nope nope nope nope nope!!

View attachment 10904

It was actually pretty interesting to see... I was more curious than anything.

BUT when I was in Venezuela, I once accidentally disturbed an entire nest of scorpions... had them coming out from every nook and cranny in the rocks, and they were NOT Happy. THAT ONE TOOK ME YEARS TO GET OVER!

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
My dog eating her dog do do makes the top of my list...but so does half of what I read on this post too!!! I must say I got a few good laughs along the way reading what absolutely freaks YOU out...

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I think MANY TIMES our irrational fears come from experiences in childhood and are subconscious, but of course there are residual fears from conscious bad experiences.
Yes, a friend of mine said she remembered an incident from when she was really little, being dressed in a woolly jumper (sweater for the americans) and being really hot and uncomfortable but she couldn't say anything. She can't bear wearing jumpers or being confined.

I am also not keen on frogs. One jumped on my head once. I manage to overcome that, but there's still the "is it going to jump on my head?" thing there in the background.

Even worse than dogs eating their own poo is them eating out of the cat litter. Yuck, yuck and double-yuck.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
It's funny none of the "other" bugs bother me- spiders, roaches, ants.... In fact, most bugs (if they venture inside) I will scoop in a cup and release outside. I will smoosh poisonous ones like scorpions and some spiders (black widows).Even tarantulas don't bother me, I've actually "helped" a few off the road and into the brush before (on a chunk of bark or paper, I think their poisonous to touch). I'm really *hoping* Oregon doesn't have the same kind of horrible things living here that Arizona did. Everything there was prickly, predatory, carried disease or was outright poisonous!

While it left no lasting fears, there was one night when Joe was at work I decided to turn the heater on for the first time that season. All of a sudden, I look over and there are literally thousands upon thousands of red fire ants pouring out of the heater vent and coating the walls, floor and ceiling:52:. I guess the heater warming up knocked their nest loose or something. Fearing the swarming/stinging ants could kill or eat them, I grabbed Tiffany and Leo (we didn't have Kiwi back then), and hightailed it out of there. The landlord lived on premise, but after nearly pounding the door in, I couldn't get him to answer so I put the lizards on the dash of my car and drove like 80mph to walmart to buy out all their raid. What a crackhead I must've looked like running into walmart in a panic at like 11:30pm, in my pjs with 2 lizards and buying up a bunch of bug spray:11: Thankfully, a neighbor was still up and watch Tiff and Leo while I "fumigated" the ever living you know what out of that apartment. By the time Joe got home, everything was dripping with dead ants and coated in bug spray, so we had to spend the night at his moms. The landlord felt I "overreacted" when Joe went to his door the next morning and demanded he address the situation of why a bajillion ants came pouring into our apartment:20:

Another major freaky, make your skin crawl "bug" problem was this article. Still not sure if it's an urban legend or not, but I know it certainly freaked me the hell out when my MIL first showed me it. I'll post a link and not the pic because it is really disturbing and graphic, especially to us girls-

Holy Moly!!! I had to pull out the girls and look them over! That was really disturbing. The doc saying "put them on her skin, let them wiggle" would have got him slapped! Get them out NOW and fast...frankly I would consider a mastectomy before living with the idea that they forgot one!

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Is that what it was?

I just called my friends at the Lindsay, and they laughed at me and said, spider migration... All I know is the line wanted to go from point A to point B, but my garage was in the way.

Glad they weren't like say a horny Doxhound... can you imagine that one? Hello, yes, there are these giant spiders and they are trying to hump my leg...

Actually, when I spent some time hitch hiking and traveling through Oregon, I had an, err, "hallucination"?(Not sure if that's the right word, but my mind was definitely affected by some substance. Just not a psychedelic.) while my friend was rubbing his food on mine while we were camped out, and in my mind I was 100% convinced it was a huge spider, and ended up trying to convince my friend there is a natural time in a woman's life during which she lays spider eggs.. and it only happens once..

Yea... he didn't believe me, but it sure was hilarious, probably one of my favorite "traveling" stories.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Is that what it was?

Actually, when I spent some time hitch hiking and traveling through Oregon, I had an, err, "hallucination"?(Not sure if that's the right word, but my mind was definitely affected by some substance. Just not a psychedelic.) while my friend was rubbing his food on mine while we were camped out, and in my mind I was 100% convinced it was a huge spider, and ended up trying to convince my friend there is a natural time in a woman's life during which she lays spider eggs.. and it only happens once..

Yea... he didn't believe me, but it sure was hilarious, probably one of my favorite "traveling" stories.

Were you eating the local mushrooms by chance? :eek:

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
The only way to overcome a fear is to face it. Usually the fear itself is worse than the thing you are afraid of - USUALLY -

Great. So in order to get over my BIGGEST phobia, you're saying I'd have to desensitize myself by purposely watching strangers puke in public :eek: I honestly think that would leave me institutionalized. I'd rather gouge at my eyes with a sharp stick :11:

All I can say is :22_yikes:!! I'm speechless and mortified.

I must say I got a few good laughs along the way reading what absolutely freaks YOU out...

This has gotten SO funny I agree. :D

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
to desensitize myself by purposely watching strangers puke in public
I used to be very squeamish when I was young. The answer for me was hanging out with children/babies. It desensitizes you to worrying about poo and vomit. Add on pets, and I'm now so "accepting" of poo it's not funny.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I used to be very squeamish when I was young. The answer for me was hanging out with children/babies. It desensitizes you to worrying about poo and vomit. Add on pets, and I'm now so "accepting" of poo it's not funny.

I have never at any point in my life had the desire for human children, but if it's loved ones I suppose it's not QUITE as disgusting.
There's just "something" about when it's strangers and in public (where you wouldn't NORMALLY throw up) that really upsets me to no end if I accidentally witness it. Maybe I should have hypnotherapy.

Pet poop I can deal with, though cat litter boxes turn my stomach.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'

I have never at any point in my life had the desire for human children, but if it's loved ones I suppose it's not QUITE as disgusting.
There's just "something" about when it's strangers and in public (where you wouldn't NORMALLY throw up) that really upsets me to no end if I accidentally witness it. Maybe I should have hypnotherapy.

Pet poop I can deal with, though cat litter boxes turn my stomach.

Ugh. I don't have children (unless you count Kiwi, and he is potty trained;)), but I have babysat and stuff. The first time I had to change a poopy diaper, I almost died. Of course, it was not a choice, the child HAD to be changed, but I definitely wasn't so eager to have my own children after I babysat infants a few times:52: Maybe it will be different if I ever have my own baby, but I surely like them *much* better when I can hand them back to mommy when they have a dirty diaper. Dogs and cats....just no, would not happen. Reptiles- I am not fond of cleaning up after even though it doesn't smell particularly strong and is small. I'll take Kiwi's comparatively small, odorless droppings over any other creatures "leavings" any day (he can keep his regurgitation to himself though);)

Most Reactions

Latest posts