What is a Friend Request?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
OK, call me uninformed, but I've never used and/or initiated a friend request, but then I also don't apologize when people complain that they called me, but weren't able to leave a message.....I normally reply that my cell phone is for my convenience...if they need to talk to me, call back...if I'm not busy, I usually answer it, but don't have time calling back someone I don't know.....

Anyhow, does a friend request get us faster responses to our questions or better service from our moderators?

Last edited:
Awwwwww members just want to be your friend
I noticed that you do not have a friend on the forum (sigh)

I actually just befriended you (I want to be your first friend on the forum) LoL

Hello New Friend !!!!

The benefit of "Friends" when coming on-line you are able to see which of your friends are on-line
Show All Friends therefore clicking into their names gaining quicker access to them, pm or e-mailing them. As well as Edit Your Friends List.

OK, call me uninformed, but I've never used and/or initiated a friend request, but then I also don't apologize when people complain that they called me, but weren't able to leave a message.....I normally reply that my cell phone is for my convenience...if they need to talk to me, call back...if I'm not busy, I usually answer it, but don't have time calling back someone I don't know.....

Anyhow, does a friend request get us faster responses to our questions or better service from our moderators?

You weren't going to shoot me down, were you? :eek:

I actually just befriended you (I want to be your first friend on the forum) LoL

Hello New Friend !!!!

The benefit of "Friends" when coming on-line you are able to see which of your friends are on-line
Show All Friends therefore clicking into their names gaining quicker access to them, pm or e-mailing them. As well as Edit Your Friends List.

So, while there is no tangible benefit, though there is the assumed or hypothetical benefit of seeing and being seen...yet you have to click on a Show All Friends button, then read through that listing in order to instigate a private or public conversation.....interesting.....

Would it not be easier and faster to simply call or text message a particular individual.....seems a bit superfluous & convoluted to me, sort of like all these phone manufacturers designing in all these options 'to make life easier or make you more in-touch with your world'...I'm just as in-touch as I ever wanted to be.....but that's another story.....ah, well, thank you for the venue to ask the question.....

Oh, before I forget, why is there no option to to turn off friend requests period...wouldn't it save system resources, rather than force acceptance of something that would probably never be used by some or force self-castigation and possible hurt feelings by choosing 'Reject selected friend requests'.....

Hello New Friend !!!!

So, while there is no tangible benefit, though there is the assumed or hypothetical benefit of seeing and being seen...yet you have to click on a Show All Friends button, then read through that listing in order to instigate a private or public conversation.....interesting.....

Would it not be easier and faster to simply call or text message a particular individual.....seems a bit superfluous & convoluted to me, sort of like all these phone manufacturers designing in all these options 'to make life easier or make you more in-touch with your world'...I'm just as in-touch as I ever wanted to be.....but that's another story.....ah, well, thank you for the venue to ask the question.....

Oh, before I forget, why is there no option to to turn off friend requests period...wouldn't it save system resources, rather than force acceptance of something that would probably never be used by some or force self-castigation and possible hurt feelings by choosing 'Reject selected friend requests'.....

Each one for themselves, some will and some won't

I do find it speeds up things on my side, just my personal observation.

Great day

:grey:

Thank you ladies, after I became active on the forum, I've received friend requests, but never knew what to do with them or of what use they were, so thought I'd ask.....

Wendy, I hope you didn't have any food or drink in your mouth when you had that particular fit, given the apparent severity of it.....

Last edited:
For me, my friends list is for people who I enjoy reading their post, or people who I have helped or who have helped me. I don't accept friend request from new members until they have been active on the forum and I know they aren't suddenly going to go innactive or turn out to be uncaring.

The friends list doesn't benifit me and I look at it rarely, it is simply a way to create a sort of kinship through the Internet. The Internet is strange and and unsocial, yet here we are all talking. Having "friends" is a way to make these sites more social and less alienated from realty.

Last edited:
I understand Copper, but cannot the same affinity be developed by addressing a response/reply to someone directly rather than by simply posting a non-directed reply ? ? ?

Thank you ladies, after I became active on the forum, I've received friend requests, but never knew what to do with them or of what use they were, so thought I'd ask.....

Wendy, I hope you didn't have any food or drink in your mouth when you had that particular fit, given the apparent severity of it.....

Nah...I was all empty. I make sure there's nothing that can exit anywhere before reading your posts. I learned the hard way. :D

Nah...I was all empty. I make sure there's nothing that can exit anywhere before reading your posts. I learned the hard way. :D

Hmmm, I guess I failed to fully understand other connotations to your original statement on the abrupt ejection problems, however this post fully clarified the perspective previously missed.....there was a small liquid ejection towards the carpet when I realized the error of my interpretation.....

I just have people on my friends with who I have connections with. Sometimes humor, or that we have the same parrot, or it's just that we find eachoverrs company comforting .

hey weco, i don't use the "friends" options either, not sure what to do with it. I did suspect you of being an engineer , i work closely with several engineers doing steam turbine/ generator overhauls at power plants. Engineers look at the world a little different than other folks, more practical i guess. Your Ok in my book and i enjoy your humor but i'm not going to send you a "friendship request", LOL.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back