What is the strangest or most memorable thing someone has asked/said about your bird?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I've gotten the 'how do you sleep?" too! More than once! It's so weird, like, birds have to sleep too!
same! like, i can sleep through anything thanks to my bird lmao
he could be screaming and throwing things around and i would sleep like a baby. but also, i cannot sleep w/out my tv on because i need noise to sleep.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I just tell people when they ask that ? That the birds have to sleep, too, and if itā€™s dark theyā€™re sleeping and quiet.

Does anyone remember the Birdman cartoon? He was a bird type superhero that would lose his ā€œpowersā€ whenever the sun went down. Pet birds are kind of like that. You can magically turn them off by making the room dark.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Someone (on the internet) called my amazon a "cockatoo parrot"

I give up.
Hahahaha! I get asked about my ā€œconuresā€ a lot when I take online classes, as they like to chat on camera with everyone.

I have an orange wing Amazon and a yellow nape Amazonā€¦

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
omg- this is hilarious

also, yikes! if someone doesnt know much about birds (especially not even knowing the species name) they probs shouldn't get one. show him a pic of a green macaw like a Red Fronted Macaw, Hahn's Macaw, Military Macaw, Severe Macaw, Buffon's Macaw, Blue Headed Macaw, Red Bellied Macaw, Blue Winged Macaw, or Golden Collared Macaw.
I remember I said about other macaws species but honestly I don't remember his reaction

I typically explain different genera, different physical aspects, climates, and care requirements.
I was a child then (10-13 y/o), so such answer would be too complicated for me šŸ˜ Normally I would explain only physical differences because that's what I was asked. But as a child I was just too shocked how somebody doesn't see any differences and the next question was "do budgies have waves and macaws not?" I answered "Yes but budgies not always have waves" (that's how we call their wings pattern) and it was enoughšŸ˜ I had no energy to mention ino mutation
yeah, seems everyone w/ a bird gets these questions.
wait, people confuse lovies and budgies?! they look so different!
yeah, whenever i tell any non-bird person that i have a bird, i typically get that response haha its typically 6-12 year olds who say it tbh
I met somebody who confused lovies and budgies too
Once time children called my budgie "canary"

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Since I often visit a place to have an adult beverage when I take Salty for toy shopping, I get asked a lot of questions about him. All the usual ones. Once someone asked if he knew any tricks. I had him shake hands, and then I said he also picks the Kings out of a deck of cards. The person did not believe me, so I showed him Saltys video doing just that. I shoulda bet the guy some money on it.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I remember I said about other macaws species but honestly I don't remember his reaction

I was a child then (10-13 y/o), so such answer would be too complicated for me šŸ˜ Normally I would explain only physical differences because that's what I was asked. But as a child I was just too shocked how somebody doesn't see any differences and the next question was "do budgies have waves and macaws not?" I answered "Yes but budgies not always have waves" (that's how we call their wings pattern) and it was enoughšŸ˜ I had no energy to mention ino mutation

I met somebody who confused lovies and budgies too
Once time children called my budgie "canary"
fair point, genera may be a bit complex for kids. though breaking down words could help!

what? budgies look nothing like canaries- šŸ˜­šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Since I often visit a place to have an adult beverage when I take Salty for toy shopping, I get asked a lot of questions about him. All the usual ones. Once someone asked if he knew any tricks. I had him shake hands, and then I said he also picks the Kings out of a deck of cards. The person did not believe me, so I showed him Saltys video doing just that. I shoulda bet the guy some money on it.
wait, salty can pick out kings?

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
I don't remember what my friends said I only remember what my sister and my mom said....... well here is what they said.
Should we eat them fried, cooked or baked?-My sister
You eat tofu while I cook sky-My sister
When will they die? how much do they live? - My mom( because my mom wants to get rid of them even though she secretly baby talks them ahh we see mom that you really wanna get rid of them)
Eww, she looks ugly I hope she dies( one of my friends well ex-friends now said this to hope I was so mad when they said that I immediately went inside my room and slammed the door as hard as I could and wouldn't leave the room( i kept the door locked) only when they left)

And yeah.... that's all i can remember..... ok..... maybe i overreacted when my ex friend said that to hope maybe........... but no i didn't.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I don't remember what my friends said I only remember what my sister and my mom said....... well here is what they said.
My family members sometimes makes jokes like these. I don't mind, as long as they aren't serious.
Eww, she looks ugly I hope she dies( one of my friends well ex-friends now said this to hope I was so mad when they said that I immediately went inside my room and slammed the door as hard as I could and wouldn't leave the room( i kept the door locked) only when they left)

And yeah.... that's all i can remember..... ok..... maybe i overreacted when my ex friend said that to hope maybe........... but no i didn't.
I don't think you overreacted, your friend was horrible to say that and I'm glad you're not friends anymore.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
My family members sometimes makes jokes like these. I don't mind, as long as they aren't serious.
I know, I joke along, cause they're never serious.
I don't think you overreacted, your friend was horrible to say that and I'm glad you're not friends anymore.
Yeah, they apologized for a few ( days or weeks I don't remember) later but I said I forgive them but inside my heart I didn't, there were actually a few people,and they said (Eww, she looks ugly I hope she dies) and then their cage (hope and kiwi were in it) on the table and they just sat on the chair looked at hope and said that and they would laugh and laugh and I said stop it! but they didn't listen I told my mom about what they said and oh she didn't care and she said I was overreacting like seriously!!! that was when i went to my room and slammed the door, so this is the complete story and I cried like I really cried more of that my mom didn't even care that was what broke my heart even more.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
When will they die? how much do they live? - My mom( because my mom wants to get rid of them even though she secretly baby talks them ahh we see mom that you really wanna get rid of them)

My family has made jokes about either eating/killing my birds, my sister once said if I didn't come over there (where ever their was) she was going to break my cockatiels necks!
But boy would hell rain down if I made a joke like that about one of her dogs! I would never though because I know she loves them!
Also sorry to hear about this, sometimes people just don't realize what can hurt your feelings though I think people, especially family should be a little more sensitive than this.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
talking of people who don't recognize budgies from lovebirds...
1669301119233.png

It just popped out while watching yt

Ronnie27

Oct 13, 2022
MĆ©xico
Parrots
Esmeralda, Perla, Arcoiris, Kiwi
Well, I have few experiences :

My grandma always asks me why my budgies have a cage or tells me if she were a bird she would die of sadness living in a cage. Sometimes she watches my youngest parrot (Perlita) and tells me to give her guavas, like a wild parrot would eat. In Mexico, Amazona albifrons parrots like Perlita are known as "guava-eaters" (cotorros guayaberos). But Perlita dislikes guavas! As a joke I tell my grandma "well... you've just known a guava-eater-parrot which hates eating guavas".

During a night watch, one of my colleagues was talking about her dog; after some time she asked if I had any pets, so I told her I have 2 parrots and 2 budgies. She seemed genuinely surprised and told me parrots were very smart and she would love to have a conversation with a talking-bird.

On the other hand, I heard my sister's fiancƩ asked my sister, while visiting my husband and I's home, why would someone would like birds as pets because "birds are dumb and boring like chickens".

When I was a child, my first parrot died. My dad helped me to bury him in the backyard. Some days later, a boy who used to ask for work (paint, sweep the street, take out garbage, buy groceries, etc.) to earn some money noticed the empty cage. He asked what had happened to the parrot and my mom said the parrot died. The boy asked where the parrot was and my mom answered it was buried. The boy said "oh, too bad... if I had come earlier my mom could have cooked it".

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I took Bumble (in a harness) on a walk to Starbucks once. When we got there, I was talking to her and the barista asked me, "is it real?" No, lady, I'm a 50 year old woman talking to a stuffed bird perched on my arm.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I took Bumble (in a harness) on a walk to Starbucks once. When we got there, I was talking to her and the barista asked me, "is it real?" No, lady, I'm a 50 year old woman talking to a stuffed bird perched on my arm.
Well, you could be talking to a stuffed bird...

I used to carry my Quaker in a color-matching lime-green scarf, and people would ask me, ā€œis that a real bird?ā€ No, itā€™s a friggin hedgehog. Good grief.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
On Halloween this random kid ran up to me and yelled, "Oh my god!! Is that a real bird?"

Of course not, child. I'm wearing a pirate outfit and my stuffed bird is climbing around on me as stuffed burds often do.

Most Reactions

Latest posts