What is this tree...?

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
So we had a mondo storm last night and it broke the one tree in my yard :( I figure I may as well get something out of losing my only bit of shade in the desert.. but I have no idea what kind of tree it is, so I don't know if it is safe for the birds. Does anyone recognize it?

This is what the trunk of the tree looks like. It actually has four "trunks" split out from the ground, but it's all the same tree.
20140928_140257_zps08ff2f1d.jpg

The thinner branches are a completely different color / texture. They look like this. You can also see the leaves.
20140928_140317_zps46f09604.jpg

And this picture has some... berryish kind of things?
20140928_140321_zpsf8a0f94f.jpg

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Perhaps a Ficus Alii or a Weeping Willow? I'm not 100% sure, perhaps someone more tree-savvy will know. But those are my guesses based off the leaf structure!

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
It's hard to tell from here. If you don't find out, there is a free tree-finding app, where you can photograph a leaf and the app will tell you what type of tree. Good luck! :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianÒ€ℒs Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
It is not a ficus or wheeling willow. It looks like a Russian olive tree to me, which can grow in dry climates. I suggest googling Russian olive tree and taking a good look at those pics and seeing if it really matches up, since you are used to looking at the tree. I have no idea if it would be bird safe or not.

OP
Selestine

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
Thank you all very much. SilverSage -- I also had a friend suggest to me that it looked like an olive tree. After looking at pictures, it does look very much like one. I don't know if I've ever noticed any olives on it, though I honestly never really go into the backyard (it isn't landscaped), so I'm not sure if I would have noticed. I'm going to have to go inspect the berryish things I noticed and see if they could be immature olives!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianÒ€ℒs Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I think Russian olives are actually white, but I don't think they are edible.

OP
Selestine

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
Well, the poor tree is dead now anyway, so no olives for me either way.. took my fence down with it, too! :eek:

OP
Selestine

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
The individual parts looks similar, but not the whole tree when I look at a picture of it standing. I wish I had a picture of mine from before it went kersplat :(

Tosca

Banned
Banned
Jan 26, 2013
Take a small branch with leaves to a plant nursery and see if the staff can ID it for you.

OP
Selestine

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
That's a great idea!

Most Reactions