Which fruits besides oranges do not attract ants?

Superbird

Jun 22, 2013
Parrots
Kiku my Black Cap Conure
I had a bad case of ant infestation this past summer even though I always cleaned the cage, vacuumed daily, threw out the trash everyday before I leave for work. Problem is I was in the habit of leaving a little fruit for my bird to munch on while I'm away at work. Ants congregate around the cage.

Now I just leave veggie and pepper which solved the issue. Thing is, I'd like to leave him fruit once in a while too. Besides oranges, what other fruits do not attract ants?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
HA, you're lucky that 'your' ants stopped coming after you withheld the fruit. We get some ants every once in a while (especially right now with the weather changing so much), and they don't care WHAT they're eating. If my birds drop food outside their cage, and I don't get it immediately, there WILL be ants all over it, even on nuts! :eek:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
This house hadn't had an ant problem for years, then last year it started up again. We used to have it so bad that they were literally everywhere, not because of birds. It was awful. We did the outside perimeter of the house in pesticide, and did it once a month for a few months, and to my pleasant surprise, no more ants to this day. I've literally only seen a random one every few months. I smash it and don't get any more. I'm not sure if you're in a house or apartment, but if you're in a single house, that is what eradicated the colony for us anyway.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I'd recommend possibly having someone come look at the property for an ant colony. My grandfather always used to take a tea kettle and pour boiling water down any anthills and that helped a lot. I'd recommend doing that before sacrificing your bird's diet!

OP
Superbird

Superbird

Jun 22, 2013
Parrots
Kiku my Black Cap Conure
Thanks for the responses! I see that I am not alone :)

My bird still gets fruit in the evenings when I'm home so I can clean it up right away before the ants get a chance. Sorry I didn't clarify too well. He gets jalapenos, bell pepper, carrots and orange during the day when I'm at work. In the evenings, it's all the good, sweet fruits he loves so much.

I guess I'm lucky they never came back! They don't touch nuts or pellets - yet. I also leave ant baits that the bird can't reach. I put it outside the door and in corners. Unfortunately I live in an apartment complex so the ants could be coming from anywhere.

If anyone knows other fruits besides oranges that ants won't eat, please let me know :D

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Where I live, ants can kill(fire ants, stingers). Rule is always use baits, never a direct poison! A colony can produce queens, and will, the moment it feels threatened!

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I've got ants in my bedroom thanks to my cats knocking over a fast food sprite that I guess I didn't clean up well enough under my bed side stand.
Ugh.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I've got ants in my bedroom thanks to my cats knocking over a fast food sprite that I guess I didn't clean up well enough under my bed side stand.
Ugh.
Vinegar! Fixer of all things sticky.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Ugh.
Vinegar! Fixer of all things sticky.

I think I did that but the ants were already here...

Most Reactions

Latest posts