I dont know what to do anymore, my parrot has random moments when he is aggressive.

SalSaVerde

Aug 23, 2023
Parrots
Senegal
Hello,
Let me start by saying this, I wanted a pet, needed something to give me a bit of purpose and take care of. A few years ago I developed allergies to cats and dogs and this has really brought me down. So I decided to get a parrot, did some research, looked for what would be suitable for me. I work from home so they wont be staying inside all day by themselves, and I ended up getting a Senegal parrot.

When I got him he was already 3 years old (at least the person from where I got him from said so) and we have had a year already together.

I really don't understand what I am doing wrong. I would say that we have bonded quite well, he stays the whole day out of the cage (he is not clipped, this far he hasn't been tempted to go out far as I know, also have mosquito nets on most of my windows)he has people around him most of the time, if not me my family, I can get him to climb on my shoulder, likes when I pet him on the head/beak(though I am still paying full attention to the beak not to get bit) and his diet is good(in the morning I encourage him to eat pellets, and after the meals consists of a few nuts treats and vegetables and MEAT).
I am quite upset cause my family thinks that I underfeed him and they give him meat so often that it has become quite a daily thing, so much that he is completely ignoring my fresh vegetable/fruit bowl and eats only the meat most of the time. Like he goes completely crazy if he sees that I am eating chicken and he isn't getting any to the point that he lunges at me flying.

I don't know what to do. He has bitten me to the point of blood before, fingers, ear even neck, my pajama shirts have holes all around the shoulders. But recently he has been an awful brat and even if I am making my way to bring him some food he would run/fly full speed to lunge at me, which I would see and dodge him, or fly on top of my head and start biting my hair very angry. and I am feeling really discouraged, like not even my parrot can be nice and show affection.

He has also started chewing things he isn't supposed to like wires, plastic pen caps etc. and honestly am starting to regret getting him. He can be such a cosy sweetheart but I really cant do what some forums mentioned like if he bites don't react, don't speak harsh ,don't punish but I am at the point that I'm ready to leave the window wide open for him to leave. And when I said punish I mean lock him in his cage for 10 min and then let him out again.

I don't think mentally Im able to be this careful in my day to day basis, like I wake up early in the morning with him making noises, screaming most of the day away even if he has everything at his disposal , take care to not overstep my boundaries, but pay enough attention to him and get attacked at random moments. Im just thinking that when I will have my baby, I dont want him being a bully, biting and lunging at my child.

I DO NOT want to give up on my parrot Salsa, but I also need to set up my own boundaries and I need him to respect me enough not to lunge at me because he is bored and I have work to do at that moment. I read some answers on forums that wing clipping though quite cruel could solve the issue and set some boundaries.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Hello,
Let me start by saying this, I wanted a pet, needed something to give me a bit of purpose and take care of. A few years ago I developed allergies to cats and dogs and this has really brought me down. So I decided to get a parrot, did some research, looked for what would be suitable for me. I work from home so they wont be staying inside all day by themselves, and I ended up getting a Senegal parrot.

When I got him he was already 3 years old (at least the person from where I got him from said so) and we have had a year already together.

I really don't understand what I am doing wrong. I would say that we have bonded quite well, he stays the whole day out of the cage (he is not clipped, this far he hasn't been tempted to go out far as I know, also have mosquito nets on most of my windows)he has people around him most of the time, if not me my family, I can get him to climb on my shoulder, likes when I pet him on the head/beak(though I am still paying full attention to the beak not to get bit) and his diet is good(in the morning I encourage him to eat pellets, and after the meals consists of a few nuts treats and vegetables and MEAT).
I am quite upset cause my family thinks that I underfeed him and they give him meat so often that it has become quite a daily thing, so much that he is completely ignoring my fresh vegetable/fruit bowl and eats only the meat most of the time. Like he goes completely crazy if he sees that I am eating chicken and he isn't getting any to the point that he lunges at me flying.

I don't know what to do. He has bitten me to the point of blood before, fingers, ear even neck, my pajama shirts have holes all around the shoulders. But recently he has been an awful brat and even if I am making my way to bring him some food he would run/fly full speed to lunge at me, which I would see and dodge him, or fly on top of my head and start biting my hair very angry. and I am feeling really discouraged, like not even my parrot can be nice and show affection.

He has also started chewing things he isn't supposed to like wires, plastic pen caps etc. and honestly am starting to regret getting him. He can be such a cosy sweetheart but I really cant do what some forums mentioned like if he bites don't react, don't speak harsh ,don't punish but I am at the point that I'm ready to leave the window wide open for him to leave. And when I said punish I mean lock him in his cage for 10 min and then let him out again.

I don't think mentally Im able to be this careful in my day to day basis, like I wake up early in the morning with him making noises, screaming most of the day away even if he has everything at his disposal , take care to not overstep my boundaries, but pay enough attention to him and get attacked at random moments. Im just thinking that when I will have my baby, I dont want him being a bully, biting and lunging at my child.

I DO NOT want to give up on my parrot Salsa, but I also need to set up my own boundaries and I need him to respect me enough not to lunge at me because he is bored and I have work to do at that moment. I read some answers on forums that wing clipping though quite cruel could solve the issue and set some boundaries.
In my opinion it's probably the meat causing the problems. That much fat and protein will be causing him to become hormonal and that causes aggressive behaviour as well as behaviour such as chewing on things. You talk about setting boundaries with him but I think you should set boundaries with your family. I know it's a lot harder to do but parrots really shouldn't be having meat everyday and I do think this is causing the issues. It would be a shame if you clipped his wings because of it as he will likely become more aggressive as he's then lost the ability to move around freely, and also an outlet for his aggression. Flying takes a lot of energy and if he can no longer fly then he'll have more energy to be aggressive with.

Most Reactions

Latest posts