Why scam people with macaws?

SparkkiSparkS

Nov 14, 2011
SC
Parrots
2 Plum Heads. Indian Ringneck. Hahns Macaw <3
I've always checked out adds for macaws when I see them because deep in my heart I want another one, and would probably get one. It seems every add I come across that seems like a good deal at first (mostly on craigslist) is some kind of scam. Every time I ask I get some kind of long, pre-written and pasted reply that ends with asking for all my information and a "shipping cost" because they (for whatever reason) are in some far away place, that is not the local area they posted in.
Why do people use macaws as a way to scam others? I've gotten my hopes up so many times because of this I almost want to give up. Has anyone else ever came across something like this?
:blue1::red1::blue:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It's not just macaws. It's parrots in general. And dogs. And cats. And any other potentially expensive animal. And even products.

My company was scammed by people in Africa. They set up an e-mail account and a fake business to look like a local business. They bought a *huge* amount of products and had it shipped to a local address, which turned out to be a Mailbox Etc place. They, in turn, had all the items shipped to Africa. We didn't find out about it until it was too late.

They scam for money. Africa is a poor country, so any way they can make money, they just might do it.

China has been known to set up gold farmers in games, and trade items/cash for real life money. Some parts of China are poor, and I've heard that produce can be expensive there.

Why? Don't know... but money is money.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
LOL It ain't just birds on CL, its all kinds of pets, cars, boats, etc.....I use CL quite a bit and can usually tell on the first response if its legit or not.

wwendy104

Dec 30, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
African Grey
Conure
They are everywhere and there are also allot of them for Cockatoo's also. It is crazy how people will do anything to scam anything out of people. You just really have to watch and never give out info at all! There are posting on CL that are valid just keep looking.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Welcome to the world of internet commerce Sparkki.....I know it is frustrating, but it's probably only going to get worse.....

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I have bought 2 parrots from CL. both my gcc and my red bellied. I have seen multiple posts on here of Hyacynth macaws for sale at cheaper prices that were scams. What kind of macaws are you looking for.:)

CoCo1

Jan 15, 2013
Omaha, Ne
Parrots
1 African Grey "JJ" and 1 M2 "Lola" and my 2 yorkies...while not feathered they are still part of my flock!
I have found the same kind of thing with the african greys.

OP
SparkkiSparkS

SparkkiSparkS

Nov 14, 2011
SC
Parrots
The two birds I have now I found on CL, and yes I use it often for several things. But EVERY macaw I've emaild about on CL came back as an obvious scam! I would not say im searching for a macaw but I always keep an eye out for one.. I would love to have another scarlet like the ones I grew up with.

OP
SparkkiSparkS

SparkkiSparkS

Nov 14, 2011
SC
Parrots
I have not looked on bird breeders in a while, but like I said im not really searching. They cost so much now a days I would rather adopt one. Im sure theres a few that need good homes. It would not be that bad if it was as easy as just buying the bird and be done with it, but first time vet visit is going to be about 500 already and not to mention the amount of toys macaws go through will cost a good bit lol

Doves1

Banned
Banned
Aug 17, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Phoenix the Scarlet Macaw
It's not only on craiglist either, it's Kijiji and any classified ad site. When I was looking for a Macaw every ad I came across was some sort of scam. I bet I went through contacting 20 people before the SPCA got a hold of me with my rescue. I was getting so discouraged and angry! One person even used cancer as part of their scam.

wwendy104

Dec 30, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
African Grey
Conure
When I was looking I got that same thing most of them were scams and I was looking for a smaller parrot species. Then I came accross one for a Macaw in the surrounding area and it was a real add so we jumped on it even though a macaw was the last species I was looking for. She needed a home asap so it worked out for all of us but man she is big and makes my grey look like a parakeet now :) I always tell people you can find some great stuff on CL or other sites but you must be careful and never give out personal info!

Most Reactions