Wierd behaviour

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Of all the strange things that cockatiels naturally do, and even the things that they pick up on their own...this is one of the wierdest.

This puzzles me, as I have read nothing on this before. They will be sitting on my shoulder, singing and using me as a jungle gym, as usual. All of the sudden, they will watch the pigeon flocks outside, and they start flapping their wings like crazy. They dont go anywhere, and they don't seem to be experiencing any fear or distress of any sort. They just sit and flap their wings all over the place. After they've done this, they act like nothing ever happened. They both do this, but one at a time.

It almost looks as if they're trying to get the pigeon's attention, or they really are scared. I really don't want my cockatiels to be experiencing pain or anything that I don't know about.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Perhaps they are trying to get the pigeon's attention as you mentioned.
I reckon when a bird sits and flaps their wings vigorously, it is their way of exercising, or being excited.
When my AG Mishka sees pigeon's flying by she really gets excited she starts flapping her wings.
They are all from belong to the birdie family, and maybe it's their way of greeting each other.

natalie

Feb 8, 2010
Media
Albums
Upstate NY
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw & Cockatiel
They are excited, happy, or want attention. :) and its very common for them to do this too. Mine does it while sitting on her cagetop and she wants something....she tends to use it to get our attention and come pick her up. It is very cute.

OP
parrotqueen

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
How goofy! I assumed that it probably had something to do with getting attention, they already did other things to get my attention before this new one came along. Thanks for your guys' help, it's good to know that they're alright.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Nothing to worry about Queen. Parrots do need exercise and a way to express being excited. Flapping wings is a good thing. I actually have trained Rosie to do this in a safe way otherwise their flight muscles will be weak. The fact that the birds were on your shoulder at the time would mean they were in a comfortable place at the time.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
How goofy! I assumed that it probably had something to do with getting attention, they already did other things to get my attention before this new one came along. Thanks for your guys' help, it's good to know that they're alright.

You most welcome ParrotQueen ;)
All birds do the most wonderful weird thing, that's why we love them so so much.

Great Day

Most Reactions

Latest posts