Madylin

Jan 23, 2017
Hello,
I basically joined because I am worried about what will happen to my 22 year old Mollucan cockatoo when I die. I am a senior citizen (still in excellent shape) and for 22 years I have given my boy the best life a bird could ever have. He is not a problem bird, very friendly to everyone and my best friend. He has never heard a harsh word, or been in an angry environment. Just calm happy times and super care. Tut is really my beloved child. But who can give him what I can? Even a great sanctuary is not set up to give the individual attention and affection he requires and deserves. That is my biggest worry. I have no one in my life who is able or willing to take this on.
If you are facing a similar problem, can you share what you are thinking about doing? And how are you handling this emotional dilemma?
Madlin

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I so so so SO feel your emotions!
You'll get lots of support and good advice here.
I'm facing a similar situation... by no means is my situation resolved, but I'm working on it.
I'm looking into rescues, new friends, getting input from local vets...
I'm so glad you found us!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
In a similar boat, we just adopted a 14 year old macaw. We wrote him into the wills, named a guardian who was willing, and included money for his care. But the possible guardian is no spring chicken, either, so it's only a short term solution. I don't know how to find a caregiver or ensure they keep up. Could require regular vet visits to receive funds. Maybe a nursing home with attached aviary for pet/former pet parrots? There is no such thing. I thought about starting a home for surviving parrots, funded by owners taking out insurance policies on themselves, or by monthly advance payments. Still have to find a place and staff..I wonder if one of the larger, respected rescue/sanctuaries could advise.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello Madlin and welcome!
I am fortunate to have a close friends who has a rescue, and will take my birds when something happens to me and my husband.
I have seen a lot of birds go to wonderful homes from one forum member to another, we have a great community here who is always wiling to help:)
I'm really glad you joined us.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, Madlin. I wish you many more years with Tut, and salute your desire to ensure he has continued excellent care!

An ethical sanctuary may be the best alternative, particularly if you are able to fund an "endowment" with the assistance of an attorney. This is something I am wrestling with as well, and need to have a consult to learn the options.

Many of us are in a similar position, without family members eager to take permanent care of our parrots.

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
I read this last night and gave it some thought. In my case I have one friend that will happily take on my birds. She already spends about a day every two weeks with them anyway. (She works a unique schedule and just comes over to see them when I'm at work.)

But without that I'd wonder, can you look at a local rescue group and maybe make friends with them? At least then you'd find some folks that you know and trust? Or perhaps as Terry said above perhaps someone on the forums is close to you and you could make arrangements with them? At least then you'd know he'd be going to someone that was prepared to for him and what he'd be facing.

It's a sad fact that our birds will often outlive us. Sometimes it makes me wonder if they really should be kept as pets at all. Then I get into a game of peekaboo with a macaw who giggles while he plays and I can't help but think that "yeah... yeah we should give them homes."

Any rate, what I'd want to do is meet some bird people and see if I found someone I thought would be a good home for my boys. See if they'd be willing... at least I'd know then they were going to be looked after.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Google coughs up a big list of bird rescues and sanctuaries. Is there a list of recommended, stable, well funded ones in the US?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If there is one emotion that I could cause to go away it would be Worry! We Humans waste far to much time with this emotion that only serves to steal the energy we need to act.

When we turn it into an Action by stating the need and then acting upon it, if fads quickly away. Thank-you for turning it into an Action.

You have and are seeing one of the true wonders of the Parrots Forum and that is the want of its members to support each other and provide insights to act upon.

With great luck and timing, the Law is becoming more understanding and supportive of caring for our 'Pets' after we pass. To take advantage of the Law to assure and support our wants we need a very good Elder Law Attorney!

A few basics:

This discussion is only based in USA Law as 'I' currently understand it and therefor will differ in other Countries of the World.

The larger the City, the more likely you can find a Law Firm that directs a larger part of their effort told Elder Law and the Legal Tools to support that effort. You do not want to use an Attorney that only does a few Wills a month, unless that Attorney will have one of those firm put the documents together for him or her.

Write down your 'Wants' and understand that for it to happen, there will need to be both money and oversight monitoring to assure your 'Wants' are followed. Use what you have learned from the above Posts to create your list of 'Wants.' Assure that you include Avian Vet Care as part of your list.

As part of the document build-up include not only your passing, but also if you for whatever reason can no longer care for your Parrot that the same 'wants' fall in place. Commonly this occurs as part of the directives, i.e. it references back to the part of your Will that defines your 'Wants.'

Completing this as far in advance is much easier since you can find the Law Firm that will provide you the comfort in knowing that your 'wants' are covered.

Last edited:

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
Google coughs up a big list of bird rescues and sanctuaries. Is there a list of recommended, stable, well funded ones in the US?

It depends entirely on where you are at.

The two nearest rescues near me are 8 and 14 hour drives respectively and do not take birds from my area.

So near me there's little to no place to go. There's an older gentleman who's a bit daft and "rescues" birds. He's got 3 that he walks around town with and 30 or 40 that live with him. He cares for them and treats them well. But you know that none of those birds is getting a ton of attention.

And that, frankly, the the closest we have to a rescue. The bird shop in town doesn't do rescue, they sell birds and see rescue as "cutting into profits" as near as I've been able to see. I'd not want them rescuing my birds as they'd just sell them to the first person to write the check.

TL;DR Depends entirely on where you are. Some areas have great rescues, other have nothing.

So this question is actually a pretty big deal!

Joon

Nov 28, 2016
Lotus Land
Parrots
Two adorable Yellow Nape Amazons and a Military Macaw. Double Yellow Headed Amazon (RIP)
I adopted a refuge bird with an unknown history. I started a list of things she loved, things she didn't, along with words she knew and music that got her all riled up just in case there was no one in my family who could pass that information on. As per our agreement my bird would have gone back to the shelter that gave her to me. So I'm not sure what to suggestions to offer there.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
If there is one emotion that I could cause to go away it would be Worry! We Humans waste far to much time with this emotion that only serves to steal the energy we need to act.

When we turn it into an Action by stating the need and then acting upon it, if fads quickly away. Thank-you for turning it into an Action.

You have and are seeing one of the true wonders of the Parrots Forum and that is the want of its members to support each other and provide insights to act upon.

With great luck and timing, the Law is becoming more understanding and supportive of caring for our 'Pets' after we pass. To take advantage of the Law to assure and support our wants we need a very good Elder Law Attorney!

A few basics:

This discussion is only based in USA Law as 'I' currently understand it and therefor will differ in other Countries of the World.

The larger the City, the more likely you can find a Law Firm that directs a larger part of their effort told Elder Law and the Legal Tools to support that effort. You do not want to use an Attorney that only does a few Wills a month, unless that Attorney will have one of those firm put the documents together for him or her.

Write down your 'Wants' and understand that for it to happen, there will need to be both money and oversight monitoring to assure your 'Wants' are followed. Use what you have learned from the above Posts to create your list of 'Wants.' Assure that you include Avian Vet Care as part of your list.

As part of the document build-up include not only your passing, but also if you for whatever reason can no longer care for your Parrot that the same 'wants' fall in place. Commonly this occurs as part of the directives, i.e. it references back to the part of your Will that defines your 'Wants.'

Completing this as far in advance is much easier since you can find the Law Firm that will provide you the comfort in knowing that your 'wants' are covered.

Yes, yes, yes!!! :light:

Worry is indeed an emotion of decay and woe. Some folks are sufficiently gifted to overcome worry with definitive action. Many wait until the last moment to act. Others never do.

Great post Steven, hopefully your words of wisdom will propel folks to action!

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Madilyn I wonder if you could put an add in the paper, a bit of a bird personal!
I'm count my lucky stars I have family who would take my birds, But I'm also a bit of a keen traveller. We found a lovely family of 3 mid/late teenage girls, and they took the time to learn how to handle and play with the parrots. Now if we go anywhere, we call their place, and one out of three will come and babysit. If a younger person has a special interest in birds, they may appreciate the hands on experience and also, the guidance and education you can pass on too. Just floating the idea in case some variation of it may work :)

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
Madilyn I wonder if you could put an add in the paper, a bit of a bird personal!
I'm count my lucky stars I have family who would take my birds, But I'm also a bit of a keen traveller. We found a lovely family of 3 mid/late teenage girls, and they took the time to learn how to handle and play with the parrots. Now if we go anywhere, we call their place, and one out of three will come and babysit. If a younger person has a special interest in birds, they may appreciate the hands on experience and also, the guidance and education you can pass on too. Just floating the idea in case some variation of it may work :)

You know, this really is good advice. Frequently we get a youngish person, highschool or maybe early college here asking about birds. Wondering what's right, how to get experience etc...

I bet there's someone in your area like that. You could take them "under your wing" as it were (sorry, couldn't help it) and show them the ropes. In the process you maybe make a friend and more importantly find someone that knows and loves your bird and can care for him after you can't.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
You've gotten some good ideas here, but I wanted to emphasize one thing that was mentioned - leave some money for the future care of your bird. Even if it isn't a lot. And do it whether your bird ends up with a regular person or a rescue. The money will be greatly appreciated. I say this as someone who inherited a large number of animals from a friend who passed away without leaving specific financial instructions for the animals, and she was very wealthy. Much wealthier than me by a long shot. It all worked out in the end with her family eventually paying for some of the costs of the animals, but I can tell you that not having that worry initially, when I could have just focused on the animals, and their needs, would have been a huge burden lifted and saved me weeks of extra worry and scrambling to do what needed to be done for the animals. So even if you aren't wealthy, leaving aside some money to cover an initial vet visit and a new cage, or something would surely help the person who is going to help your bird.

MrsBigE

Oct 19, 2016
Media
Pickerington Ohio
Parrots
Sun Conure
Umbrella Cockatoo
I'm 54 and waiting on my U2 to wean so he can home. At my age I know he will outlive me but I'm fortunate to have a 16 year old daughter still at home. She (Ellie) goes with me for every visit and although Bam is bonding with me I have and will encourage him to bond with Ellie as well. Before getting him I made sure she'd be willing to take him when I'm gone. Even though I know who is taking Bam when I'm gone it doesn't stop me from worrying about how he'll do when I'm gone.
In the years you've had him have you used the same vet? If you have a good relationship with him maybe he'd be willing to submit some names of clients so you could interview potential new parronts. Have them give you references and take time to check them. Ask them who will be designated to take him if something happened to them and meet that person too. I Would want someone who wouldn't be all about the endowment for care - someone who would just give him a home comparatively close to what you've provided.
I don't doubt he'll miss you but if someone truly loves him and would give him the attention you have, he'll be able to adapt.
Another suggestion- you said he's well behaved and very loving. Maybe you could find a hospice/support type organization that uses comfort pets. We even have funeral homes in town now that have comfort pets available. Look how much joy he's given you. He could provide that tenfold if put into an environment where his love would benefit individuals/families.
Good luck. I hope you're able to resolve this so you can just each other's company for years to come.
Peg

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Great ideas, Peg!
I wil include those in my own plans/machinations!
Thank you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts