Wound from Vet - Is this Normal?

SD1030

Feb 2, 2021
I took my cockatiel to the vet and the injected him with fluids. Now the entire area is red. And without feathers. Is this normal? What on earth did they do?

Please help!

25781d1612317313-wound-vet-normal-img_6068.jpg

IMG_6068.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh wow. You need anew avain vet visit right away.
This injection has caused damage to the tissue, and the skin has died and sloughing off. This is nit a place that you would give fluids in a bird!!! Not enough room in skin!! Or they gave wrong kind of fluid , like maybe a dextrose fluid.. whatever ever . No it is not normal
Don't let bird pick at it..

Keep food and water close

Keep your burd warm and quiet till you can get to a new vet. If possible try and do a video consultation, now if possible.

I'm so sorry, but yiu need a new vet and vet help with this.

You can offer a little applesauce, to help replace fluid loss.
Or offer baby bird formula if will take that. Or some human baby food in tge jars

Line the cage bottom with towels. Don't let seeds or anything get on this or stick to it. Keep cage so clean.

After you see the new avian vet. You want to haven't a digital kitchen scale so your can keep track of any weight loss during recovery. And know if you have to start hand feeding.
Plus what ever had your bird sick that you had to go to vet in tge first place.
Try sbd feed things that have moisture, like apples, applesauce, banana, a grape, strawberries.. he probably needs a little extra moisture, as he is loosing some to this wound. Let him eat what ever seeds abd stuff he wants to. To keep energy up.

Last edited:

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Rule number one! Where do you live?

If possible, you want a CAV...a Certified Avian Vet who specializes in birds and treats birds only! Most regular vets donā€™t know much about birds.

There might not be one near you, but if there is, thatā€™s where you want to go.

OP
S

SD1030

Feb 2, 2021
I live in Los Angeles. Yes they supposedly tried giving fluids at this site. They are an avian and exotic veterinary office. A technician did this work.

Iā€™m looking for a new vet. Iā€™ve heard VCA access on Jefferson in Culver City is good?

The wound isnā€™t bleeding. I donā€™t want to torture him any more. Hopefully it will heal on its own?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
SD1030, I have to say that I would be absolutely out of my mind angry if any vet, technician or nurse left one of my birds in this condition. They should also not have left you guessing as to whether or not your bird has borna virus. Definitely time to get yourself a new avian vet and the following link may help you to find one....

https://www.aav.org/

I sincerely wish all the very best for your little birdie!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its nit going to heal on its own. He us going to need some help. Burds skin is tissue thin, so likely muscle or body wall us going to be exposed.
You are going to have to do some nursing, and special care. But an avain vet is going to need to help. Antibiotics, wound care, pain meds, possible bandage and anti pluck collar. But if you try and do yourself will get in bug trouble. There us no body mass on a bird in this area ...if an infection started woukd eat through the body wall

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Can you share a picture of his face. Because it looked like i saw done swelled or redness around eyes. I had this indication was systemic infection with Chlamydia...not say thsts what yours had. But Chlamydia csn cause spleen snd liver swelling, and possibly that was what was seen on x-ray as I now trust nothing this vet has said to you.
It may not be dripping blood. But us blood congested swollen mess, and there may be no skin left in thst area right now, you are looking at what's under the skin and its not happy , and will soon be infected

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh and do not put anything on it. Do not put ointment on it, as tgst would make every bacteria and junk stick to it!

If it get dirty use very dilute betadine in distilled water, just a drop or 2 to barely tinge tge water. Then flush over the wound gently. Do not touch, just pour over ir use a syringe to flush over the area. Don't touch don't use gauze or anything.

Use distilled water, as is cleaner than other water

Last edited:
OP
S

SD1030

Feb 2, 2021
Thank you I will make sure not to put any ointment on it. Do you think the area will heal and regrow feathers?

Here is a pic of his face. Heā€™s a handsome boy.
a47033cefaf7c3beb82862233964502e.jpg

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Wow, that is a significant wound, sad to know it came from a vet tech.

It is possible the avian vet is skilled but poorly represented by tech. (they often do the actual treatment under "supervision.") If you have any doubts or discomfort, seek a second opinion. I live in San Diego, unfamiliar with L.A. vets. Online reviews helpful, word of mouth from trusted folks best!

EDIT: Noticed your other thread, background for others following: http://www.parrotforums.com/general...-sick-cockatiel-distended-proventriculus.html

Last edited:
OP
S

SD1030

Feb 2, 2021
Thanks for your note. Complete nightmare situation. Yes, it was a vet tech.

They injected him with IV fluids to prevent dehydration from all the x rays they ran - but I donā€™t understand how this happened from one single injection???

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Man I would be burning up the air with this vet, sending pics. This is outrageous .

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
What a beautiful boy. I see his shape is off, maybe lipoma..or.

There are several reasons that wound can happen, pressure necrosis, bird felt pain from fluids snd self mutilation, the wrong ph , osomolarity of fluids. So only dome types of fluid can be given under the skin instead of in a vein. I think the fluid type that contains dextrose was given by mistake under the skin. Instead of LRS or Normal saline..
This shows the preferred site of sq fluids is tge inside upper leg abd body junction. Bid just have few places with loose skin
https://blogs.cornell.edu/wildlife/...r subcutaneous,back and between the shoulders.

The buck stops with the vet. If he hired Registered , Certified, or Licensed veterinarian technicians they have to graduate, abd take a state and national exam that is written, oral, and physically demonstration of practical skills. They wouldn't make this mistake. But you have to pay them what they are worth .
So veterinarian still want to just hire someone off the street and " teach" them themselves...
Which do you want?
I ask!
Because the staff is going to be doing all the holding , treatments, most if the tests, than the veterinarian.
I want them accredited.
I went to a well known avain veterinarian, who did labs in house, and her lab tech was trained by the vet. What a joke!!! Plus then that's not an accredited lab, there is no oversight, no quality control , calibration ect.. This avain vet charged a high premium but its not worth it , without trained staff. While I was paying holding my sick bird a " trained by her and called a vet tech" came out with a bird that was boarding there let it run around on the counter next to my sick bird... oh I was never coming back anyway, I'm not paying for labs run by a kid you "trained "... ugh I will happy to pay extra 10 bucks to be sent out to an accredited lab with trained and licensed staff!

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
My daughter worked as a vet tech for many years. All in-house training!
They had her doing way more than you would imagine, thatā€™s just the way it is!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Sure some folks are brighter. But when you have turn over every couple of years, ever time a new person starts a job they make mistakes, I think it also costs the company more in the long run too, I read a study once averages the company several thousand a year .
In some states its already the law, if they give an injection, or take blood they have to be licensed, otherwise they are just staff.

If the practice staff is always 18- mid 20s with high turn over, im not giving them my business .
In both places the vet had a super expensive car, vacation home, art work in the practicce..pay your staff ,invest in your staff, abd continue education. We are choosing vets that believed in extra education and sat for board exam to work on our birds, tgey know the value of education, and training, so choose qualified staff..im holding the staff to the same standards. My birds are valuable babies to me.
Just hated how it looked like tech was being thrown under the bus, if they are even a real registered vet nurse...

OP
S

SD1030

Feb 2, 2021
He just had a stroke/seizure. Paralysis on his left side for 1 min. He regained control. Iā€™m so scared. Iā€™m at the ER vet right now.

OP
S

SD1030

Feb 2, 2021
I found out what happened with his wound. Apparently, the vet tech injected subcutaneous fluid that was too warm (hot??) and it ended up burning through his capillaries and resulted in a hematoma. UNBELIEVABLE.

That tech also burst a vein in his neck on the same day trying to get blood.

Itā€™s a miracle my bird is alive. Heā€™s alive by the grace of God alone.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I am so sorry to know his condition has worsened. Does the ER facility have avian vet talent on staff or on call? Now is the time for superhuman efforts to save him from dreadful malpractice.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh thank goodness. I was so worried. I'm so glad he is still fighting.
Did they keep him at the hospital? How are they going to have you take care of that wound?
Did you find a new vet?
Poor guy has so many issues now with his original maas?, enlarged ventriculus? Infection? And now hurt from fluids and blood draw. Ahhhh my heart hurts fir this little one!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I found out what happened with his wound. Apparently, the vet tech injected subcutaneous fluid that was too warm (hot??) and it ended up burning through his capillaries and resulted in a hematoma. UNBELIEVABLE.

That tech also burst a vein in his neck on the same day trying to get blood.

Itā€™s a miracle my bird is alive. Heā€™s alive by the grace of God alone.

In support of this office, they admitted their mistake! That does say a lot!
I am so sorry for the suffering your little one is going through!

Most Reactions

Latest posts