Wounded cockatiel

nualasd

Jan 23, 2023
Parrots
Two female cockatiels, one female conure and one male conure.
Hi all,
Was just wondering how to treat this wound my female cockatiel Leilani has. Must have happened in the last ten minutes or so, as she has been beside me all day and only noticed it now...I've no notion how she got injured, but it seems that the flesh of her left foot has been bitten off?? She is a very timid bird and doesn't allow me to touch her at all
and I don't know how I can treat it without her flying off?? It doesn't really seem to be bothering her, but she is limping.
Any help would be appreciated :)

Attachments

• IMG_1738.jpeg
    IMG_1738.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1734.jpeg
    IMG_1734.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 47

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Could one of your other birds have done it? A sun conure or even a green cheek could easily hurt a another bird.
She will probably need to see an avian vet, especially if the bleeding doesn't stop and to prevent an infection.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear this happened. I would get her to an avian vet ASAP. In the meantime you could try applying light pressure with gauze to help the bleeding stop. Though this will be difficult for both of you if she is timid about being handled.

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
I agree with the others that she needs to see a vet. Have you tried putting some corn starch on the wound? You mentioned that she doesn't like to be handled, but is there anybody in the household who can help you? Perhaps wrap her in a towel, while one of you holds the bird, the other can place the cornstarch on the wound? Also, I usually take a piece of paper towel or a napkin and fold it up so my cockatiel will bite down on it while my other half holds the bird. I do that when I trim his nails. Also, I keep a styptic pencil handy in "case of an emergency" to help stop bleeding.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is possible that one of the other birds may have bitten the upper leg -or- the parrot catch it on a short edge.
It appears that it has stopped bleeding as there appears to be no bleeding on the lower leg and craw area.
A Vet visit would be a consideration, but unless the bleeding begins again, you are likely safe.
Check your other birds for blood on their beaks.
Keep this one separate from the others for a couple of days.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I’ve always wondered (I would check with a vet on this) if poultry first aid stuff, like wound antiseptic sprays and Blu-Kote, is safe for parrots? I can’t find any info online I wouldn’t do it, but it’s been bugging me for a while.

I’d see if you can get her in a towel to inspect it and make sure there’s no further damage (the limping worries me). If her foot is fully functional and it isn’t actively bleeding, gently clean the area without dislodging the scab and let her be for a minute, away from the other birds, and see if you can find a culprit (check her cage, playstand, and other birds for blood). Then call your vet and let them know - they can make the call if they think they want to see her. She’s not dripping blood so I assume it’s clotted.

Most Reactions

Latest posts