Parrots
5 year old CAG GIZMO
4 year old DYHA RIO
2 year old YELLOW NAPE RUBY
4 month old greenwing macaw Myha
2 year old CAG ROXY
12 year old rescue CAG MARLEY
15 year old rescue CAG SMOKEY
Hi all I would yellow nape owners thoughts on there birds I'm considering buying a parent reared one female just like to see what there like I know every bird is different I own a DYHA he was parent reared but the way he is with me you would think he was hand reared thanks.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hi all I would yellow nape owners thoughts on there birds I'm considering buying a parent reared one female just like to see what there like I know every bird is different I own a DYHA he was parent reared but the way he is with me you would think he was hand reared thanks.

Adding an additional Large Parrot to your home with a DYHA that is just near two years old is something I would not recommended. Over the next five years, your DYHA will transition into an Adult and the Hormonal transition can be anywhere from simple to scary. The effort you put into training your DYHA now including socializing is very important.

Bring in another young Parrot, in this case an Amazon changes everything. There is no real way to know whether you will be successful or hit a wall at high speed! In addition, this 'could' cause a disruption in your relationship with your DYHA.

I understated the joy of Amazons and that some can see this as the more the merrier. That said, it takes a very special person to be able to provide one Amazon a wonderful life. Adding additional Amazons only ups the level of demand on 'everything.'

Last edited:
OP
KevH

KevH

Aug 31, 2013
ENGLAND
Parrots
5 year old CAG GIZMO
4 year old DYHA RIO
2 year old YELLOW NAPE RUBY
4 month old greenwing macaw Myha
2 year old CAG ROXY
12 year old rescue CAG MARLEY
15 year old rescue CAG SMOKEY
The ammies will be going in a avairy not for breeding purposes the breeder I use has 1 DYHA and some napes which he's sexing soon I'm hoping the DYHA is female if not il be having a nape female I just wanted people's thoughts and experiences with napes my relationship with my DYHA is really good I've trained him to fly to me step up and lie on his back for tickles he's a really sweet natured bird however I know his hormonal stage is yet to come but I think how I've trained him will help at that stage

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The basic personalities of these two Amazons are much the same as is their general size. The quality of their parent raised personalities would be an extension of their parents.

The best of all Worlds is a Parrot coming from a combined caring relationship between the Parents and the Breeder. This provides the baby a knowledge base of being a Parrot and interaction with Humans.

Since we are talking about best of all Worlds here! Lets state that most loving Parrots come from that combined caring relationship, which is taken all the way though full fledging including socializing. At one point, this was the Standard that resulted in Parrots (although expensive) that are true sweethearts.

Last edited:

Most Reactions