Yet another question...couch cleaning

ripbern

Sep 24, 2017
The situation I'm in is that there was a bit of mildew on the surface of my couch. Humidity shot up here in Michigan and I had my apartment pretty well close up when it happened. I scrubbed the spots down with vinegar and water. Dried the cushions in the sun. Maintenance guys (they actually had pet birds) think it was just surface level on the couch. No other issue were found in the unit.

So far it looks ok. Nothing has come back. I’m running a dehumidifier and I have windows open to keep air moving. Still, I want to get the couch professionally cleaned (it's time for it anyway). The company has one of two disinfectants they can use. I think they are safe, but I want to put it out to the hive mind. I'm leaning towards the Bio-esque.

Medi-clean: Aqua, Laurylamine Dipropylenediamine, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Glycerin, Sodium, Cocoamphoacetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, Laureth-7 Citrate. (this is from the cleaning company)

Bio-esque: The active biocidal ingredient is thymol, an extract from the common thyme plant. (this is per the cleaning company)
Link: https://bioesquesolutions.com/botan...GNcTCfncLSniF8tvMC-apr_N7GyL1TIsaAvgYEALw_wcB

Of course I will board my little baby while it's being cleaned. She will not return home until the couch is completely dry and the apartment aired out. Maintenance will allow me to use there heavy duty fans to speed up the process.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I'm sorry, maybe I missed it, but what's the question? You seem to be taking the proper steps to take with unknown chemicals, so I don't believe you will have an issue.

OP
R

ripbern

Sep 24, 2017
Sorry! My question is about those two chemicals. Do they appear safe, provided I get her out of the apartment for a while?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would go for the thymol treatment, but keep in mind there could be some other nasties in the cleaning solution.

I’ve used neem and tea tree oil on indoor plants that needed mite treatments. There is a mild smell but the oils are very dilute so I’d think it would be ok. I felt homemade insecticide made of dish soap and neem oil was the safest option, at any rate.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts