You're loud! ... Who's loud? (Poor Salsa :-/)

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4sS8vPXgTA"]You're loud! ... Who's loud? (Poor Salsa :-/) - YouTube[/ame]

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hmm....I wonder who was hollering in the background? Maynard perhaps? :D

Salsa is just TOO adorable! GREAT video, Tony, thanks so much for the smiles. :) I will ALWAYS love that Salsa!

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Very cute video. thanks for sharing:)

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
So it sounds like he's saying "hop up right now" he's talking really well!! :)

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
LOL, yea ReaRea and Miri decided I did NOT need to sleep in this AM! :rolleyes: Yesterday it was the Zon's. :rolleyes:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
LOL, yea ReaRea and Miri decided I did NOT need to sleep in this AM! :rolleyes: Yesterday it was the Zon's. :rolleyes:

I can't even imagine what it must sound like with 2 GWs going off at the same time. :eek: So far, when Ripley has his "moments"....Niko looks at him for a while and then he tells him quite loudly "SHUT UP". :52: (He learned that from when one of my dog's starts barking non stop. :eek:)

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I love the wing fluttering thing and him saying "step up" then he lifts up his giant talon and fluffs his head and I am thinking "will somebody pick him up already." LOL Loved the video. Salsa is such a handsome boy.

It looks like to me Salsa was doing what ever he could to get you to pick him up. So cute!

Jan 4, 2013
I live in Northwest Ohio.
Parrots
Coby is a Green Wing Macaw. He is seven years old. :0)
Such a cute video. Salsa is adorable. I'm just a little bit bias though. ;)
Salsa reminds me so much of my Coby. :D There's just something about the Green Wings. They are so sweet and cuddly looking.
Especially when they do the clown/fluffy head. :red1:

Last edited:
OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Thanks for the nice comments, everyone :).

OK, as for a guide to 'Salsa-speak' interpretation, the thing he's saying in the vid that sounds like "step up" or "hop up" preceding his "right now!" statements is actually "up up". He says that quite a bit, so one of the nicknames I've given him is "Mr. UpUp" :).

And then he has several variations to express that Maynard is too loud. The ones you hear in this clip are of course "you're loud" followed by his semi-sarcastic "who's loud?" ...but he will also often say "too loud!" (Note: I know his "you're loud" sounded somewhat like "too loud" but it really was "you're loud" this time - he can say it far cleared than that.) Then at times he'll even yell "WAY too LOUD!" to try and penetrate the screaming. He's clearly bothered by Maynard's screaming (and I don't blame him) :(. He also throws various inflections on the you're/too loud phrases, so you never quite know what you're gonna get ;).

And, yes, Salsa does like to be held a lot. He cuddles and likes to hang upside down from my hand (it sometimes feels like I'm holding an anchor ;)), and he loves to be scratched all over. But he also likes to pinch a bit at times...much like Wendy's Niko in that he's not at all malicious, but simply mischievous and playful and he just forgets how strong his beak muscles are. Ultimately Salsa is a very sweet bird though :04:

Oh, and in the clip I think he also said, "gooood bird" then "who's a good bird?" and then "eagle bird". Then he ended with an "oooh" while scratching the side of his head :eek:.

Just wanted to provide my above descriptions in case anyone isn't quite able to make out some of the things he's saying :).

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
hahaha i saw this thread when i woke up, but then i thought, no.. i dont think i can handle maynards screams this early in the morning ;) LOL

Salsa is such a clever boy, i agree, Maynard is too loud :p haha

I love his voice, so sweet and cute! :)

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Salsa is adorable! He just has an "I want to hold you & cuddle your face look about him!" It is so cute to hear one Macaw telling another one he is too loud. :red1: Does Maynard talk any or did he lose that ability with his stroke?

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
hahaha i saw this thread when i woke up, but then i thought, no.. i dont think i can handle maynards screams this early in the morning ;) LOL
Really so! That's how Salsa and I feel when Maynard feels like screaming :eek::(

Salsa is such a clever boy, i agree, Maynard is too loud :p haha
Indeed, LOL!

I love his voice, so sweet and cute! :)
Ya know, 7 months ago he wasn't yet truly in my life (I knew him only through Terrie)...now I can't imagine life without him :eek::D

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Salsa is adorable! He just has an "I want to hold you & cuddle your face look about him!" It is so cute to hear one Macaw telling another one he is too loud. :red1: Does Maynard talk any or did he lose that ability with his stroke?
Nope. He has never been a talker. He's a wild caught bird and he came to me as an exclusive screamer ;). And, I assure you, he has not lost one speck of his screaming prowess :(:eek:

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
So adorable ! The part at where salsa started fluffing up and scratching his head , it was like he was saying " just look at my lush, fluffy, red Afro . " lol

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
Salsas up up... our Monte does it.. except it sounds like love love. So maybe its semi common? Idk.. Monte doesn't say much either... other than come here, cracker, hello... then that love love thing...

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
So adorable ! The part at where salsa started fluffing up and scratching his head , it was like he was saying " just look at my lush, fluffy, red Afro . " lol
Thanks :). "just look at my lush, fluffy, red Afro" <-- Ya know, that's pretty true :D

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Salsas up up... our Monte does it.. except it sounds like love love. So maybe its semi common? Idk.. Monte doesn't say much either... other than come here, cracker, hello... then that love love thing...
Another thing Sals says a lot is "apple" or "want an apple". He says around 60 or 70 words and phrases.

Jlong1989

Mar 5, 2012
Fullerton,CA
Parrots
20 year old Congo African grey male
12 year old blue and gold macaw male
2 year old greenwing macaw
male
Breeding pair of rosey bourkes
Breeding pair of cockatiels
When my birds scream my moms adopted Congo African grey says "SHUT UP!!!! WHAT THE F--K IS YOUR PROBLEM!!!" It's hard not to laugh. Also my mom and I didn't teach him that, it was his previous neglectful owner.

OP
plax

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
When my birds scream my moms adopted Congo African grey says "SHUT UP!!!! WHAT THE F--K IS YOUR PROBLEM!!!" It's hard not to laugh. Also my mom and I didn't teach him that, it was his previous neglectful owner.
It's kinda impossible to 'un-teach' them what they've already learned to say. Personally, swearing birds don't bother me at all. But it can sure ruin their chances of finding a new family if they ever need to be re-homed.

Most Reactions