2 new unexpected arrivals!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh my! They are GORGEOUS!!!! And they look to be pretty large, or are my eyes deceiving me?

What a GREAT cage! I bet they are so happy to finally have some room to move around AND to play. :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
They are gorgeous! I just cannot understand people's thought processes sometimes.
And I find that no matter what colours I use to decorate, the bird poop seems to match everything.

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Well I haven't seen them play yet, I'm not sure they know how.:( I will be adding more goodies, I made a late night birdie toy order last night, spent a small fortune. I got quite a few foraging toys to try to take advantage of their new found love of REAL food.
Your eyes do not deceive, looking closer at her I do see a slight blue eye ring but nothing like my other female SI and they are both HUGE compared to mine that I know are pure SI. The lady did say she was told they are not clutch mates, because she thought she might want to try having babies at some point. God what a nightmare that would have been!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank goodness she didn't try to breed them!
She sounds like one of those people with more money than sense.

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I'd tell you to send her to this forum if she ever decides to "decorate" with parrots again, but I feel like us with less self control and patience would very quickly find ourselves with a membership ban... hehe. :rolleyes::rolleyes: :54:

d2page2

Feb 15, 2012
California
Parrots
Mina GCC, George and Mimi eckies.
They are very pretty. I am so glad you rescued them from that !#/^*. She should be shoved in a small cage and treated just like they were. Thank God that there are people like you!

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Oh my gosh I am so happy! Just saw the male hanging from the toy and tearing it up!!:propeller

Question....They are young, they do not know step up, a dowel scares them bad! The women reached in and grabbed the body of the female and pulled her out of the cage.:eek: The girl doesn't seem to be crazy about me for now. The boy she never picked up, he is obviously a little nervous but seems very interested in me. I am well aware that the bite yesterday is the first of probably many and that's okay I can deal with it. The problem is I really can't even begin working with these birds until their nails are cut I am not kidding I don't think I have ever seen them this sharp. So I am waiting until my husband comes home because trimming is going to be a two person job. Anyway since they are still getting used to me but are young do you think they will hold a grudge?

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I don't know much about birds holding grudges, or what causes them to/etc, but it's good to hear he's playing!!! Yoshi hasn't taken an interest to any toys yet.
Just to play it safe when the guy I bought him from pulled him out of his cage with both hands, I didn't hold him like that. I let him step up on his own just so he has no bad memories of be grabbing him. But I dunno about those two. :(
It's good he's taken an interest to you though! :D

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
Oh my they are gorgeous!!!!! I'm so happy you were able to bring them both home. As for dogs, I too am a lover of dogs--all dogs. In fact Oliver picked up a small dog bark from one of the neighbors...I feel like I have a little dog inside my green parrot. Ha!

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
The nail clipping went well, I was not able to take off too much because they are so over grown but at least I was able to get the razor tips removed. I put a couple of good pedicure perches in the cage so I am hoping that will dull them down a bit as well.

I also gave them another misting this morning, not as soaked as yesterday but they are really showing their beautiful colors now. It is sad that they really don't enjoy their baths yet. My other one's scream and yell saying "taking a bath" and really get into it stretching out their wings and butts in the air.:D

The female has started playing and tearing up the toys after watching the male so this is a good sign.

MangieSun

Jan 22, 2014
California
Parrots
Mangie- Sun Conure
Pixel- cockatiel
Jasper- bare eyed cockatoo
Lucky birds to have found their way into a great home. I look forward to their updates:)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Congratulations on the two new additions to your home, Labell. Very well told story and I am of course thrilled about the ending... which, of course, is a new beginning for your two new flock mates. They are absolutely beautiful! Please keep up the updates.

OP
labell

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Update:
Things are going well with the boy at least, he does not know step up and is absolutely terrified of a stick in front of him so I have just been reaching in and grabbing his feet, he puts his beak on my fingers but thankfully with no pressure. I only keep him out for a few minutes at a time, talk to and praise him then put him back, tomorrow we will start the walking from hand to hand.

He gets a look after a few minutes of wanting to fly off, so I am keeping my thumb positioned over one foot. He was clipped but he has some feathers growing back in and I would rather not clip him again if I don't have to.

Miss Thang is a different story she seems to have taken a shine to my husband but looks at me as if she would like to kill me so I have been just talking sweet to her and giving her some space. I think she might think of me as the one who took her from her "love" because even if it was obvious that the woman was not taking good care of them, the female had clearly bonded with the woman.

Last edited:

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Thanks for the update ! I was wondering about these guys.

Most Reactions