Conjunctivitis treatment 26 year old quaker Sunny

Cryllc82

Jul 2, 2023
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Hi everyone, I'm new here! I have a 26 year old quaker Sunny, he's been with me for 16 of those years. He appears to have conjunctivitis in one if his eyes and I'm trying to figure out what I can treat him with otc. I currently have Terramycin ointment, Curicyn and Vetirycin spray. I haven't used any of these yet. Any advice would be helpful!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum!
I'm so sorry you're bird is ill:(
I would be afraid to treat anything to do with their eyes without seeing an avian vet. Do you have one close to you?

Here is a list of vets who see birds:

Avian Vet Resources

Sending healing wishes to your baby.

OP
C

Cryllc82

Jul 2, 2023
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Welcome to the forum!
I'm so sorry you're bird is ill:(
I would be afraid to treat anything to do with their eyes without seeing an avian vet. Do you have one close to you?

Here is a list of vets who see birds:

Avian Vet Resources

Sending healing wishes to your baby.
Hello there, I do have one in this region but they like to remind me he is very old. Also 2 years ago he fell and broke his wing and the office kept not removing the wrap and when they eventually did it peeled the entire surface off to blood. The wing won't grow feathers and the ones it does grow at crooked angles and break off bloody. He has been wearing a felt collar because of this. So taking him in to this particular vet is not an option for him.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Hello there, I do have one in this region but they like to remind me he is very old. Also 2 years ago he fell and broke his wing and the office kept not removing the wrap and when they eventually did it peeled the entire surface off to blood. The wing won't grow feathers and the ones it does grow at crooked angles and break off bloody. He has been wearing a felt collar because of this. So taking him in to this particular vet is not an option for him.
Sorry to hear you had a bad vet experience. Ideally, checking with a certified avian vet would be ideal. (Even an online consultation ) I am NOT a vet and I haven’t used terramycin ointment on my pet birds, but I have used it to treat an eye infection in a chicken chick and it is commonly used by poultry keepers.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Sorry to hear you had a bad vet experience. Ideally, checking with a certified avian vet would be ideal. (Even an online consultation ) I am NOT a vet and I haven’t used terramycin ointment on my pet birds, but I have used it to treat an eye infection in a chicken chick and it is commonly used by poultry keepers.
How long has your Quaker has this eye problem? Not all eye infections are bacterial needing antibiotics. They won't help a viral infection which will eventually clear up on its own. In humans, conjunctivitis is often viral.
If you don't want to go back to that avian vet (I don't blame you) If you live in a rural area with farm animals in the area maybe a farm vet that treats chickens would see your Quaker and recommend a treatment.

Most Reactions

Latest posts