Feb 9, 2013
Media
Missouri
Parrots
Sun Conure (Tequi),
Quaker Parrot (Kiwi),
Cockatiel (Jax),
Cockatiel (Kylie)
As an arachnophobe, I looked at those tarantula photos & had a mild panic attack. The hair is still standing up all over my body. :)

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
As an arachnophobe, I looked at those tarantula photos & had a mild panic attack. The hair is still standing up all over my body. :)

I'm so sorry. Please let me know if you want me to get rid of the images, I won't be offended in the least. :)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Jersey Wendy you ca n keep the pics on the computer I am fine as long as there are none in my house :eek: Alive that is:eek::54::54::54:

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Jersey Wendy you ca n keep the pics on the computer I am fine as long as there are none in my house :eek: Alive that is:eek::54::54::54:

LOL Alison. :) Do you have wild tarantulas???

Back on the subject of my "little" mouse problem: I haven't caught any more mice for the past few days, but the traps WILL remain in place. ;)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Thank the good lord NO. I'm in Fla to humid here for them I hope. We have gators and snake which I would much rather see in my yard . No Offence. However I have a bad habit of checking Craigs list pets in three different areas every couple of days, Sarasota, Fort meyers and Tampa, And I will admit To looking At the ones that have pics attached and I did see some pics of Blue taranulas and If a Large Hairy Spider could be cute they are a beautiful color They were actually blue:D

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Alison, was it this one?

That's a Cobalt Blue. :D

NEVER had the desire of having one of those in my home, as they are QUITE temperamental. ;)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
Yes thats the one. What an incredible color. Can you tell I like blue?:D Do not worry I have no intention of getting one in this lifetime:eek:. and I am glad the traps been empty. By the way my obcession with craigs list is kind of like window shopping. I can't get animal planet on basic cable anymore:(:mad:. It is amazing what people keep as pets down here and I like looking at the different pics. Beats watching Soaps all day. And what did you mean tempermental Do they not tame down or their likely to bite?:confused:

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yes thats the one. What an incredible color. Can you tell I like blue?:D Do not worry I have no intention of getting one in this lifetime:eek:. and I am glad the traps been empty. By the way my obcession with craigs list is kind of like window shopping. I can't get animal planet on basic cable anymore It is amazing what people keep as pets down here and I like looking at the different pics. Beats watching Soaps all day. And what did you mean tempermental Do they not tame down or their likely to bite?:confused:

Oh what a pity that you can't catch AP anymore. :( My TVs on either AP or NatGeoWild all day long....except on Sundays, when I watch The Walking Dead. :D

If you like to window shop, have you every tried ebayclassifieds.com???? TONS of goodies on there, too. :D

I can only imagine what types of critters you have available in FL. Not to mention the critters you have creeping and slithering outside. If it was up to me, I'd move to FL tomorrow - NO kidding! I'd be in Paradise. :)

You can't tame tarantulas. They are either considered "somewhat" docile or hot tempered, and the Cobalts will NOT hesitate to bite. They are also lightning fast. :eek: I was VERY lucky, I've never been 'tagged' by one all the years I kept them, but I've been sprayed with urticating hairs. I mostly kept Ts from South America, and those tarantulas have urticating hairs on their abdomen. When they feel threatened they will brush those hairs off and they go flying everywhere. It kind of feels like you had a run-in with fiberglass fibers. :54: Luckily I never had an allergic reaction to the hair, I'd just be itchy for a while. :30:

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
Thanks for the answer. Yes I love Fla We have been here almost 5 years and the wild life is incredible. I see Gopher tortises walking around , armadillos, The fla Birds are amazing, Gators All kinds of turtles and frogs, And the little cuban brown anoles lizards are all over the yard. I love to watch them living their little lizard lives. We are a mile from the gulf of mexico as the crow flies and 10 min for the first of three beaches. so you get to see all the salt water birds and critters and we have a part of a canal in the back yard so you get all The wading birds. One of my neices came to visit a couple of years ago and I could get her off the back lani. She is an animal lover and said this just like having animal planet in your back yard. The gators come and go.and we have a few resident snakes that show up at times. A couple of black racers and a couple of corn snakes. and lots of turtles in the canal. :) And yes I know how lucky I am to live here

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
UGH, that is weird!! I'm not scared of rodents either but i think i would have been all weirded out and goose bumpy!! Probably would have shouted a few adult words in the mix too.
Last year, i was sitting in my living room watching tv and suddenly saw a BAT flying over me. He was flying circles around the living room near the ceiling. Anyhow, then i LOST him.....and he was in my coat!!! EEEK. I grabbed my coat and he flew at me and we kind of collided (at which point i was like some kind of screaming lunatic, dropping to the floor as if i caught on fire) and he flew INTO GEORGIE'S CAGE with her. I told her to stay on her perch, which she did, but she looked completely spooked. For days she watched over her head and i know she was wondering what other weird critters would plunge into her cage. Poor thing.
And the poor bat had to die for rabies testing because of human contact too. Poor little guy.
Somehow when any animal, cute or not, is 'where he doesn't belong' or is 'uninvited', it's odd!

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
UGH, that is weird!! I'm not scared of rodents either but i think i would have been all weirded out and goose bumpy!! Probably would have shouted a few adult words in the mix too.
Last year, i was sitting in my living room watching tv and suddenly saw a BAT flying over me. He was flying circles around the living room near the ceiling. Anyhow, then i LOST him.....and he was in my coat!!! EEEK. I grabbed my coat and he flew at me and we kind of collided (at which point i was like some kind of screaming lunatic, dropping to the floor as if i caught on fire) and he flew INTO GEORGIE'S CAGE with her. I told her to stay on her perch, which she did, but she looked completely spooked. For days she watched over her head and i know she was wondering what other weird critters would plunge into her cage. Poor thing.
And the poor bat had to die for rabies testing because of human contact too. Poor little guy.
Somehow when any animal, cute or not, is 'where he doesn't belong' or is 'uninvited', it's odd!

I laughed SO hard how you described your and Georgie's encounter with the bat....until your second of the last sentence. Why did the rabies' testing kill the bat?

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I asked that too. Animal control said they kill them when they capture a 'suspicious' bat and use the head (i guess cut the head off?) when testing. I asked how they kill them because i found it disturbing, and they said they put them in a refrigerator of sorts and it was a 'humane' death. I never knew they killed the bats that were tested either. I was surprised how seriously it was taken actually.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
....i have a bat charm i added to my charm bracelet because i felt guilty for him dying. :( i didn't know that when i called animal control......

Rana

Sep 18, 2012
Dublin, Ireland (Republic)
Parrots
Scottie Pippen (Pinapple GCC) Little Bandit (Hahns Macaw)
Hahaha :D that's so funny (knowing everyone was unharmed in the scenario)
I used to have a blind cat who once caught a mouse (very impressive) but the poor cat didn't have a clue what to do with the mouse, so i scooped it up to let it out in the yard as it was unharmed, but the little fekker bit me and as i dropped it, my dog was there waiting to gulp it up as well... it was probably safer with the unknowing cat... :(

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
No more mice, I hope? :(

Yesterday me (claustrophobia) and my friend with the phobia of ladybugs both had 'scary' encounters. :eek: A ladybugs landed on her headband and she had a panic attack. She was okay after a bit though.
I got locked in our school bathroom stall! It was after school and the lock on a stall broke and got jammed. I usually never go in bathrooms except at home, where I can keep the door open and not have panic attacks, but today was one of those horrible occasional days where I have no choice. I could NOT open the stall door!!! Our doors are weird, the opening at the bottom is too small to crawl under. Ugh. Ended up having a really bad panic attack that consisted of hyperventilating, crying, and vomiting. Fun fun fun. About half an hour later a janitor found me and had to unscrew the lock off the door. :eek:

So.... like I said, people have their fears!

Last edited:

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
Oh dear, Conure Crazy you both have my sympathies that had to be horrible I am sorry that happened to you. Panic attacks are not at all funny.:(

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Thank you, they suck. Just goes to show, people who don't fear one thing, always know there are people who are extremely horrified of that one thing. ;) I guess I just care because everyone doesn't see claustrophobia (or any phobia or fear) as a big deal. :(

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
It is definately a big deal:(, Glad you made it though that:)

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Holy cow Yasmin! That had to have been SO scary for you! :eek: Even though I'm not REALLY clostrophoebic, I don't like tight places, and I do VERY badly in tight crowds. So bad, in fact, I pass out. :54:

When you said you were locked in the stall, I chuckled. NOT at you, but because something a bit similar happened to me last week.

Everybody grab some pampers, as I'm sure you'll laugh your butts off:

Since I am SO sun deprived, I decided last week that I would go tan for a few minutes before meeting up with the treadmill at my local gym. The tanning booth is a standing up kind of thingy, it's located in its own little room inside the gym. I wasn't even in there for a minute when my stomach started acting up. I think you can all guess it....I was a little "airy". After gagging at my own miff, I realized there was more going on with the belly than just a bit of air, soI quickly got out of the booth and put my clothes on.

Guess what! The door latch was stuck. :eek: So there I was - FRANTIC at this point because...well...I REALLY had to go. :eek: Numerous attempts at getting the latch unhooked resulted in a busted knuckle. I FINALLY got the thing open...and believe me, it was JUST in the nick of time. :54: :54: :54:

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Eek I would have had heart attack, Wendy. ;) Glad you got out!

And about the passing out thing, there have been numerous times I've actually passed out too. I'm really surprised that the janitor didn't find me in a heap on the floor. :eek: I think I handled it pretty 'well' for my standards. :p

Most Reactions