A sad farewell

BMac

Jul 12, 2012
Took Piki to the vet this morning just for his usual 4 month checkup. While there I told the vet about the forum I had joined and about the great time I've had sharing ideas with the members. She said it sounded interesting and said since it concerned her favourite lorikeet patient . . . in fact her only lorikeet patient . . . she wanted to check it out. After a few minutes of lurking through the different posts and threads, her frown getting larger by the second, she said, "You won't like this, but I believe you need to quit this forum for one that is more lorikeet friendly." She said I was lucky I had done most of my homework on lorikeets and also had an aviary vet within 5 minutes. If a person didn't know the specific needs of lorikeets and followed lots of advise on the forum they would have a very sick if not a very dead bird. Her reasoning is much of the advise is in general conflict with lorikeet needs and unless you know their requirements a bird could have the wrong food or training. For example, there are several postings that state do not give your bird honey (in the wild lorikeets eat honey naturally and it is a good source of energy for them.) You do not have to watch your lorikeet's weight as his metabolism is so fast and his digestive system so small he needs lots of high-energy carbs. Parrots do not feel dominant by sitting on your shoulder. In the wild the dominant birds in a tree or high place with the rest of the flock will be found half way up as this is the dominant position. Younger, more vulnerable birds will be found higher where their is more danger of predadation from hawks, etc. And finally (with the appropriate emphasis) NEVER USE THE CLICK METHOD OF TRAINING ON A LORIKEET. With their extremely active minds and strong desire to please their owners click training will confuse them and has been found to cause aggressiveness. Her last question was why aren't lorikeets listed separately on the Species Specific index. So I have searched the web and found several forums that deal mainly with rainbow lorikeets and their close kin. And just browsing I've found several things I didn't know about my little guy. However, I am not leaving this forum altogether. I've made too many friends for that. But I won't be around as much as I was before. For now I'm off to explore cyberspace with my bird on my shoulder, dog at my heels and 'clicker' in the rubbish tin. (Hey, guys, how's that for an exit?) :D

Klaery

Jul 8, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Elroy - Hahns macaw, Ponyo - Sun conure
Took Piki to the vet this morning just for his usual 4 month checkup. While there I told the vet about the forum I had joined and about the great time I've had sharing ideas with the members. She said it sounded interesting and said since it concerned her favourite lorikeet patient . . . in fact her only lorikeet patient . . . she wanted to check it out. After a few minutes of lurking through the different posts and threads, her frown getting larger by the second, she said, "You won't like this, but I believe you need to quit this forum for one that is more lorikeet friendly." She said I was lucky I had done most of my homework on lorikeets and also had an aviary vet within 5 minutes. If a person didn't know the specific needs of lorikeets and followed lots of advise on the forum they would have a very sick if not a very dead bird. Her reasoning is much of the advise is in general conflict with lorikeet needs and unless you know their requirements a bird could have the wrong food or training. For example, there are several postings that state do not give your bird honey (in the wild lorikeets eat honey naturally and it is a good source of energy for them.) You do not have to watch your lorikeet's weight as his metabolism is so fast and his digestive system so small he needs lots of high-energy carbs. Parrots do not feel dominant by sitting on your shoulder. In the wild the dominant birds in a tree or high place with the rest of the flock will be found half way up as this is the dominant position. Younger, more vulnerable birds will be found higher where their is more danger of predadation from hawks, etc. And finally (with the appropriate emphasis) NEVER USE THE CLICK METHOD OF TRAINING ON A LORIKEET. With their extremely active minds and strong desire to please their owners click training will confuse them and has been found to cause aggressiveness. Her last question was why aren't lorikeets listed separately on the Species Specific index. So I have searched the web and found several forums that deal mainly with rainbow lorikeets and their close kin. And just browsing I've found several things I didn't know about my little guy. However, I am not leaving this forum altogether. I've made too many friends for that. But I won't be around as much as I was before. For now I'm off to explore cyberspace with my bird on my shoulder, dog at my heels and 'clicker' in the rubbish tin. (Hey, guys, how's that for an exit?) :D

It is common sense that different species have different needs and what is good for one might not be suitable for another. People here understand that (In fact I am sure 99% of people who have ever seen a bird would). I am sure you researched your species before aquiring anyway so hardly an issue for you :) As for not using click training... Worked for my guy (scaly breasted lorikeet now residing with the folks).

As with anything be critical of all sources of information and try and get any info from multiple sources before implementing (this includes vets though they are paid to be on top of their game so can usually be expected to be reliable).

Glad to hear you will still be around :)
Dan

Last edited:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Glad to hear you're not leaving altogether...:) Forums are just a place for people with same interests to get together and talk of their experiences and maybe give advice... Some people on these forums have a lifetime of experience, and are certainly worth listening to...

If your parrot is sick your first port of call should be your vet, not an international forum...

I can't help but wondering if your vet knows the concept of clicker training... This concept is used worldwide by Zoos, animal parks, marine parks etc... they may not use a clicker, but the concept is the same...

I met a guy some years back, and I told him about my success in clicker training my birds... He was dead serious, when he asked: 'Do you click once for yes, and twice for no?' :eek:

GregPara

Jun 8, 2012
Media
sarasota, florida
Parrots
1 Blue & Gold MaCaw
Hi everyone, I am back from Afghanistan and Bella will not leave my side. This forum is great for many issues but one should always try to become an expert on their particular bird. I would encourage anyone to google the (Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council) and take the "Certified Avian Caretaker Program" 1-800-553-7387. It is a course you take at home and is phenomenal in teaching you all you need to know regarding your particular bird. Things like care, training, animal husbandry, AVIAN ANATOMY and many other topics. You take end of chapter quizzes and then you have a final open book test that you send in and then obtain your certification. You can become a member of the council and the course is $75.00. I believe membership is $50.00. It will be the best money spent on your feathered friend. It also has all of the basic information on all types of bird addressing their particular habits and needs. Please let me know if anyone completes the course and what they thought of it.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
I agree that everything here should not be taken word for word. If you are unsure ask for advice and if you're still a bit leery do you're own research. We're all not parrot experts on every breed, well a handful might be :) but we give advise as 'advise givers' not all as avian vets or lorikeets spe******ts.I know that if there is something I see needs advice that catches my attention I will spend time researching before I give an answer. We're not experts, but we try to to help. I'm glad you wont be leaving permanently.

OP
B

BMac

Jul 12, 2012
Hi, me again. I just want to thank all of you for the wonderful, kind words you have given. I have found several sites dedicated to most lorikeets and lories and picked up a few pointers, but I admit I do miss this forum. Not so much for clinical advise, but for the great people I have met here and the comaraderie (Spelling?). My vet wasn't against this forum so much as the format. If one was a newbie and had not done their homework on their breed of parrot and took advise meant for another their could be problems. She's been a vet and a spe******ed aviary vet for many, many years and she said she had so many birds arrive at the clinic that had been harmed by people taking advise from people who were so called experts who did not recognise the needs of different breeds. She gave as an example that lorikeets had very special needs not found in many other parrots. She also stated that most lorikeets came to her because of people trying to put them on a seed diet. She also was against pellets, because she had many lorikeets in her clinic with damaged tongues from the hard pellets. Not all pellets are bad, but some are deadly. She used as an example, "Would you try to feed your rainbow dog kibbles?" I asked her why she did not like click training. She said training like that could give you a bird more like a trained seal than an affectionate friend. She was a fan of voice training and making all training like game time without the treats. Lorikeets recognise their owners moods very quickly . . . they know when you're angry, happy, or in a playful mood. She said lorikeets are great readers of people's faces. That's why they will go to some strangers and not others. The click training advise was for lorikeets only so I don't know how she feels about using it for other breeds. Lastly, she wanted to know why lorikeets and other closely related species was not on the Species Specific index on this site. She said then people would know to go to a particular site for their advise on their specific breed. At the moment Rocky is running around the house like a mad demon with Piki hanging onto his collar shouting 'beep! Beep!' When those two get started this place turns into a mad house. I've definitely earned myself a bourbon and coke. Hope this clears up a few things about us. I'm very lucky to have a vet like the one I've found. Very knowledgeable with years of experience, but at the same time gentle and very caring. And the main thing, Piki and Rocky both love going to the vet and seeing her.

Klaery

Jul 8, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Who told you to feed a lorikeet seed? :confused: As already said you would have known a bit about lorikeets before getting one and would know that would be a advice not to follow.

Sorry no idea why they those words go like that, just a mistake/error that has yet to be fixed I would say. Not really something worth getting upset over.

OP
B

BMac

Jul 12, 2012
I definitely know how to take care of several breeds of parrots including lorikeets who need a spe******ed diet (lets see if that 's' word gets deleted). The frightening thing is when the person posted that lorikeets need seeds because they eat them in the wild, people were asking what types of seed, how much, are pumpkin seeds alright, can they feed their lories on seed alone as wet and dry mix were so expensive. These people were doing research . . . BUT IN THE WRONG PLACE! And if you have never had a parrot before and do your research here you can end up with a very sick or even dead bird. My cockatoo that I inherited from my grandfather lived to the ripe old age of 98 years, and I aim for Piki to get as many years as his species allows.

OP
B

BMac

Jul 12, 2012
Yup, it was deleted!!!!! I know on the bottom of the page that free speech is not allowed here, but isn't this carrying totalitarianism a bit far?

Klaery

Jul 8, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
As I said before I think it's just a mistake in the censored words list. Not a big deal..

And glad to hear you already knew about the species and so knew what to listen to and what to pass off. As before though it comes back to researching multiple sources.

Last edited:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Yup, it was deleted!!!!! I know on the bottom of the page that free speech is not allowed here, but isn't this carrying totalitarianism a bit far?

Yes, it's annoying... English is my second language, and I spend such a long time trying to spell it correctly, and then in the end it doesn't matter.... lol.. It has been like that ever since I joined... I have seen an explanation, but can't remember what it was... You could try and ask a moderator by pm...

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Okay, I know this is a dumb question, but why are the words 'spe******ts' and 'spe******ed' not allowed? I found it in my last posting and also in MaraWentz posting. Are they somehow related to the 'f' word? I've gone through all the rules in posting for this forum and found nothing related. Is this just some picky thing by a moderator? Would like to know, because if these words aren't allowed, but advise telling lorikeet owners to give seed is allowed, my vet just might be right in finding another forum. Right now, I'm a bit afraid to post anything for fear of breaking some rule.

I am sure it is a mistake in the censored words listings. Will investigate.

The Mod's do not have anything to do with the word's that are blocked out.

If an un-appopriate words etc is used, we then then delete it, and pm the member.

I personally do not think it has anything to do with the "F" word.

Us Moderator's do our best to keep the forum a friendly happy place for all to enjoy.

:grey:

Last edited:

keepsmiling

Jun 21, 2012
I find it interesting that anyone would take a veterinarian's advice over people with hands on experience. Funny, I have friends that vets and zoo caretakers call for advice, and they are bird breeders, not vets. Veterinarians, even board certified avian vets, do not get extensive training in each species of bird.

OP
B

BMac

Jul 12, 2012
Thank you keepsmiling for helping me make my decision. Let's see now . . . why would I take the advise of a very qualified vet with over 10 years of experience over a guy with no qualifications who said my lorikeet should eat seeds. I guess the answer may sound strange in this forum, but I want my bird to LIVE!!!!!!! So I will take her advise and quit this site permanently. Especially since 3 people gave you a thank you for such an inane posting. I also noticed all the bereavements on this site of peoples' birds. Maybe they died because they followed an amateur who thinks he knows it all advise. So to all . . . Piki, Rocky and myself say goodbye.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Okay, I know this is a dumb question, but why are the words 'spe******ts' and 'spe******ed' not allowed? I found it in my last posting and also in MaraWentz posting. Are they somehow related to the 'f' word? I've gone through all the rules in posting for this forum and found nothing related. Is this just some picky thing by a moderator? Would like to know, because if these words aren't allowed, but advise telling lorikeet owners to give seed is allowed, my vet just might be right in finding another forum. Right now, I'm a bit afraid to post anything for fear of breaking some rule.

From what I understand, the system sees the word ci alis (take out the space) in the middle of that word, and that's why it blanks it out. Doesn't make a bit of sense, it's just what happens.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Thank you keepsmiling for helping me make my decision. Let's see now . . . why would I take the advise of a very qualified vet with over 10 years of experience over a guy with no qualifications who said my lorikeet should eat seeds. I guess the answer may sound strange in this forum, but I want my bird to LIVE!!!!!!! So I will take her advise and quit this site permanently. Especially since 3 people gave you a thank you for such an inane posting. I also noticed all the bereavements on this site of peoples' birds. Maybe they died because they followed an amateur who thinks he knows it all advise. So to all . . . Piki, Rocky and myself say goodbye.

I have searched though all your posts, and I just can't find the one you're referring to... I also cannot find one, where you ask for diet advise... If I had read such a post I would have corrected them immediately... This is a busy forum, so I probably missed it... Can you give me the link?

keepsmiling

Jun 21, 2012
Let me reiterate what I said.In your post you say you were having a great time sharing here. That is great...why take away from that? A forum is for exactly that. You should still do your own research, before and after buying a bird. On any forum you have to take everything said carefully, and anything said out of the ordinary should be questioned. Not all members are going to know the answers. Lorikeets eating wild honey, and giving processed honey to them are two different things.Why would you have to leave one forum for another? And if you are as seasoned in your knowledge as you say, maybe you could help members here learn what you have learned.
Why the big dramatic "sad farewell"? It can't be all that sad...you just want to make people feel bad before you leave?:rolleyes:That whole dominant parrot up high thing is absurd in my experience. You don't want some parrots on your shoulder because they could easily hook you in the lip or any place in the face, like your eye. It has nothing to do with dominance.
I don't train my parrots or birds, I teach them. Never was a fan of the clicker thing, but what works for some might not for another. Nothing wrong with that.
Once you find out that all forums have good and bad points, you will see this one is not much different than any other. Some are more friendly, some may have people with a lot of knowledge. Finding one that is species specific if you are still learning what your bird needs may be a good thing. We will be here when you return. No need to put us down...really.;)

Last edited:

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
i sense there is a troll here!!! just joking.. sort of

Most Reactions