About to be a new momma =)

OP
LolaLowlie

LolaLowlie

Apr 23, 2012
West Palm Beach, FL
Parrots
Howie - Vos Eclectus, Kiku -Quaker
I think you're right! I'm wide awake and tomorrow (or today?) is going to be a very long day!! I will be sure to post pictures =)

OP
LolaLowlie

LolaLowlie

Apr 23, 2012
West Palm Beach, FL
Parrots
I just went to the store and bought a bunch of things for my Tobi... I have no idea what he is going to like so I just kept throwing stuff in the cart! I wanted to get a bag of frozen veggie medley so he could give it a go and see what he thinks. I looked at the back of the bag to be sure of there wasn't any unwanted additives and sure enough salt was tacked on the end of almost every one of them! I never knew they added salt to those frozen veggie mixes... This is no bueno correct? Any who I also got some broccoli sprouts, apples, pomegranate arils, mango, dark leafy greens, broccoli, and the list goes on and on. I'm super duper excited! I'm going to offer him food tonight when he gets here, but I'm not expecting much.

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
Exciting stuff!
When my eccie was a baby he LOVED warm mashes. I used to boil sweet potato, mash it up and mix it with baby peas and a small half teaspoon of seed. It was his MAJOR comfort food.
Enjoy your new baby!!

OP
LolaLowlie

LolaLowlie

Apr 23, 2012
West Palm Beach, FL
Parrots
Here he is!! :)) I am in love! He is super mellow and has such kind eyes!

Thanks Mrob I am going to try that mash tonight!

Last edited:
OP
LolaLowlie

LolaLowlie

Apr 23, 2012
West Palm Beach, FL
Parrots
I am too and thank you!! He really is gorgeous. I thought my breeder was just taking some great pictures, but even with my camera he's a brillant green. The whole thing went smoothly and he cooed the whole drive home from the airport. He has made a just few baby yells, but I can see its on its way out. He is a good eater, and he has interacted with almost every toy in his cage. He even hopped on the swing, I think it will be one of favorite spots. I am elated!

solobaby

Jul 14, 2011
Parrots
Solo(indian ringneck)-Marley(green cheek conure)- Dobby (cockatiel)
im so glad he is home safe and sound

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
I'm so glad he made it home to you safe.
He's gorgeous!!!! I love my ekkie and I think you will go nuts over yours too.
Try introducing him to a very wide variety of foods. I did that with Sydney and he'll eat anything I offer now. He'll try everything at least once, and he likes so many things.

OP
LolaLowlie

LolaLowlie

Apr 23, 2012
West Palm Beach, FL
Parrots
I am kinda thinking I want to change Tobi's name to Howie.... I feel bad I have gone through a whole day calling him Tobi. Lol I think I'll sleep on it ;)

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
He is very, very, very cute. It made me clucky remembering my when my boy was a baby!
I never intended to get one but found him in a disgusting reprehensible breeders, in a cage so small he couldnt open his wings, in a dark shed crawling with rats and excrement, no perches in his cage and feet covered in sores and faeces, rat droppings all through his food dish. And all he was fed was wine biscuits (like cookies) mixed with water. Weasnt weaned - couldnt perch or walk. Looked like hell.
Needless to say there was no way i was leaving him there. Just wish I could have taken every bird from that awful shed. Left $2000 poorer with abird that couldnt even walk, who was practically starving.
Several vet visits and lots of TLC later he is an amzing, wonderful, perfect companion who has never once bitten anybody,who loves life and is an absolute joy.
You are going to have a beautiful bond with your boy - he will amaze you! And Jen is right - they are very compliant when they are young - get them eating everything!!! Great for potty training young too if thats your thing.
Have fun!!

p.s. great to see a variety of natural perches in the cage too. They are a bit unco with their feet/grip at first and need something to grip on to.

OP
LolaLowlie

LolaLowlie

Apr 23, 2012
West Palm Beach, FL
Parrots
Oh my gosh! That is so sad, but such a happy ending! It amazes me what some people can do to animals. I am so glad you were there to save him, and no doubt he is too. I tried the sweet potato mash with peas and apples it was a definite hit! He LOVED it! I think I will use it to introduce new things, he really enjoyed digging through it to find all the peas and apples and getting a mouth full of sweet potatos in the process. Thank you for noticing my perches lol. I did tons of research before he came and that was one thing I read about was to have variety. And we are in the process of potty training now, so far so good. I potty trained Kiku and she picked it up pretty fast so hopefully he will too!

Also I have decided to call "Tobi" - "Howie" from here on out just suits him better I think =)

Most Reactions