About weaning , need help :(

chunchunn

Feb 18, 2013
My bird is B&G macaw:blue1: , and he is 9 months old right now. He started refuse formula for a week. That mean he is ready for wean, i read many page , many topics about "weaning macaw", but i don't know what is right , what should to do and what to be afraid. So i need some advice about this problem :d. I need it so much!. If someone can help , pls comment :x . Thank you so much!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
What are you feeding him??? As they mature and begin to refuse formula, as long as he is eating good on his own, he should be fine! Monitor his weight daily to be sure he's getting enough food. Lola is 2 and a half, she goes through her whole bowl of food....While Willie doesn't go through half as much who is 12 years old...

OP
C

chunchunn

Feb 18, 2013
What are you feeding him??? As they mature and begin to refuse formula, as long as he is eating good on his own, he should be fine! Monitor his weight daily to be sure he's getting enough food. Lola is 2 and a half, she goes through her whole bowl of food....While Willie doesn't go through half as much who is 12 years old...

i'm feeding him with some "exact food" and "kaytee mix". I give him some fruit too , when im eating and he comes to me and wants all of the fruit , i gave him some , but he didn't swallow it , he just crashed it. I still give him a formula when he need. What are you feed your bird ?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
scotty,

You were lucky! Sometimes they will take up to 9+ months to wean...

chunchunn,

I feed pellets, fruits & veggies, cook for them different stuff, and nuts as treats. Plus bread and what not....I know mine likes to crush the fruits and get the juice out of them to drink down but doesn't eat the fruit itself sometimes.

Most Reactions