Afraid of new perches/toys

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Hi everybody.

So my tiel has a bit of a fear issue. I installed some new perches today and she is terrified. I tried to show her one of them and place her on it and she totally flipped out. I'm not really sure how to help her, as I've never had this issue with another bird... Any advice?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Try laying the perches and toys on top of her house and don't make a fuss about them. Let her walk along her roof top and investigate them at her own will..it might take some time to get used to them.

I'm pretty lucky with BB,he almost immediately checks new things out...especially a new toy :grey: :p

Jim

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Try laying the perches and toys on top of her house and don't make a fuss about them. Let her walk along her roof top and investigate them at her own will..it might take some time to get used to them.

I'm pretty lucky with BB,he almost immediately checks new things out...especially a new toy :grey: [emoji14]

Jim

Do you think it would it help at all if I put some food with them as well to encourage her to check them out?

Honestly she's the only bird I've had this issue with. My budgie was given the same perch today as well and he's already all over it. You are lucky, it's so hard to get them to trust things!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I know 'teils go bonkers over millet..maybe a small piece laid by the perch/toys will encourage her to investigate...the way to a tiels heart is thru their belly :D

Jim

Most Reactions