Alabama
Parrots
3 Cockatiels: Simon, Daisy and Sweetpea
1 Umbrella Cockatoo: Chula
1 Triton Cockatoo: Bird
1 Blue Crown Conure: Kongo
1 Black Capped Conure: Midori
Hello everyone.

I'm fairly new to these forums but I thought I'd ask you guys what you think about my blue crown's (Kongo) behavior.

He originally came from a home that kept him in a covered cage in a garage (in Indiana...) and the only contact he had with people was being picked up with a perch. He was nibbly but not very "bitey" when I first brought him home - was very reserved.

I worked with him constantly and we became close enough to cuddle on the couch at night and he allowed head scritches.

However now, he's like a completely different bird. It seemed to happen out of nowhere. Every time I walk into the bird room he screams and attacks me through the cage bars. If we let him out, he'll flutter over to me and attack any part of me he can. This behavior is worse when he sees my Black Capped Conure, Midori. I'm thinking it is hormonal, but it has been going on for at least 6-8 months now.

HELP! Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
He could be hormonal for sure hes maturing at that age now. Does he have white things circling his new feathers if so he has pinfeathers mine gets crazy when he has them cause they itch and bother them especially the head ones they cant reach! Try misting him to help open them if he has them. When I got my Blue Crown he was very aggressive cause his previous owner died and the person caring for him when I go him hadnt touched him or talked to him in a year and half!! It was a big challenge getting him comfortably with me but now he lets me do anything with him :) Start by just gaining his trust while talking softly maybe reading aloud in a chair next to his cage if he seems interested in you and sits by you happily start talking directly to him after he is happy with that let him out of the cage just to play around while you talk to him after doing that for a while you can start moving your hands around him eventually trying to get him to step up (I had mine step onto arm first) then when hes comfortable with that try petting him move slowly! Good luck with him!!

Most Reactions