Alex and my 4 year old

babyfae

Dec 30, 2012
Pennsylvania, US
Parrots
Male Alexandrine, 9 months.
My 9 month old Alex will sometimes bite, like if hes in a spot he does not want to move from, grumpy before breakfast or scared. He has bitten my 4 year old, and while I understand that if he senses fear he will become fearful and defensive, but my question is, does anyone else have small children and an Alex? I want so much for them to build a relationship, and its difficult to tell my daughter not to be scared when he has already bitten her and thus have him feel safe. Any advice? Also, I know they are not a real cuddly bird, and he does let me pet him (quickly) lol.... but I would love for him to be a little more affectionate. I know I may be expecting too much, as this is not his nature... but I've heard some say they've gotten theirs to be affectionate.:green2:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Max, my alexandrine, would love to be affectionate... He'll dip his head for a scratch, and then immediately change his mind... He loves to sit on the armrest on my chair and just hold hands/feet...

He is, however, the only parrot of mine, that I trust with my grand children... It seems that he knows they're only children... It's quite uncanny... :D

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
I have a 14 weeks old hand raised alex (call Ozzie) that I got 4 weeks ago. For the first week he has been very aggressive and bites hand that goes near him. After I started training him, he has never use he's beak ever since then.

It sounds like that your alex doesn't fully trust you, the number one biting reason in pet bird is caused of fear.

I recommend you start target/touch training him. You'll need a chopstick (or a non toxic stick), a clicker (which you can find in pet stores. But as far as the clicker goes, you can just use the word good) and some treats that he likes.
Anyway, you put the chopstick in front of your Alex to show him, and every time he touch the end of the chopstick GENTLY with he's beak, you gonna click the clicker and reward him a treat. If he bites or attack the chopstick, do not reward. But if he does attack the stick, you can mash some berries so you can put on the end of the stick, so next time when he tries to eat the berries by gently touching the stick, reward him. He will quickly learn that when he touch the stick gently, he gets a treat. Once he knows what to do, then you can start targeting him to climb in and out of he's cage.
So what target training does is that it is a great way to bond with your parrot using positive reinforcement. It also teaches him that hand isn't scrary. So next time when he doesn't step up, you can target him up onto your hand. And when he won't go back into he's cage, you can also target him back into hes cage without being scared to be bitten.

Once he is used to target training and is very good at it, you can start teaching him tricks with a target stick, like turn around and flight training.

The important of positive reinforcement is that I don't recommend you force your Alex to do anything he doesn't want to. Just say if he won't step up, give him a little bit of time and try it later.

If you have anymore question about target training, feel free to ask me. :)

Happy new year.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I actually wouldn't allow any four year olds to handle any of my birds. Levi is very trustworthy, but small children are not old enough to understand that a bite may happen, no matter how careful....and it may make the child fearful for life if he has a bad experience at that age.

OP
B

babyfae

Dec 30, 2012
Pennsylvania, US
Parrots
Male Alexandrine, 9 months.
SharonC, thats my fear... lovemy parrots... great advice, never heard of this, but I have a lot to learn. He does step up, he bits only when he seems to be at a position he does not want to move from... I think i need to learn and respect his space. I'm torn with Mylin... I feel like should could be fearful for life now, but at the same time, I handle Alex so much and she will want to give him a little pet, which I will allow her to do sometimes and it goes fine.... i think it'll be a while 'til she can hold him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts