All Macaws Breeder in NJ

c3honey84

Mar 9, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Eclectus-"Roxy"
I wanted to take my mother in law there to look at their macaw babies. When I called, they told me that they do not sell macaws to NJ residents...but they are located in NJ!! Does anyone know why??

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
Ziva - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I don't breed or have a macaw. But I have seen plenty in NJ. I don't know where you are but there are two large bird stores in Burlington county on route 130. Bird paradise and Todd Marcus Birds exotic. I like to stop by bird paradise to play with the birds. They also have tons of toys and stuff. I don't know why the breeder doesn't sell macaws to NJ residents.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I wanted to take my mother in law there to look at their macaw babies. When I called, they told me that they do not sell macaws to NJ residents...but they are located in NJ!! Does anyone know why??

WHERE exactly did you want to take your MIL???

Of COURSE you can buy Macaws in New Jersey. I've never heard of such a thing. :eek:

Bird Paradise is enormous, and if you're already going south, or live in the south of Jersey, there is also "Fancy Feathers" in Blackwood, NJ. Ursula (owner of Fancy Feathers) BREEDS her own Macs AND she sells them, Jersey residents included. ;)

josiesmom

Jun 13, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Josie - blue and gold macaw
I was just at Bird Paradise over the weekend and they have 1 baby blue & gold left for sale. The womas said the others were sold. They also have a beautiful harlequin for sale, I think she is 2-3 years old. I can post of pic of her if you want. There are also 2 greenwings that they desperately want to get into a permanent home. I believe that are between 2-3 years old as well. I really tried with the greenwings but they will not come out of the cage. I have the battle scars to prove it :( I LOVE Bird Paradise because you can play with all of the birds and really find a good match. Good luck and keep us posted.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
There are also 2 greenwings that they desperately want to get into a permanent home. I believe that are between 2-3 years old as well. I really tried with the greenwings but they will not come out of the cage. I have the battle scars to prove it :( I LOVE Bird Paradise because you can play with all of the birds and really find a good match. Good luck and keep us posted.

The GWs attitude changes DRAMATICALLY once you get them separated and away from their cage. :) ...and yes, THAT is quite a drama to get either of them to come out. :(

I got my Ripley from them about 2 months ago, and it's amazing how sweet of a bird he's become.

josiesmom

Jun 13, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Josie - blue and gold macaw
Wendy, I remember when you go Ripley. You were the reason I've taken two trips to NJ just to go to that store. I LOVE that place. They are so desperate for someone to get along with those birds that they are also giving a cage too. It will be like the cage they are currently in. I so wanted to be able to handle one of them, but it just did not work out. Maybe next time.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Wendy, I remember when you go Ripley. You were the reason I've taken two trips to NJ just to go to that store. I LOVE that place. They are so desperate for someone to get along with those birds that they are also giving a cage too. It will be like the cage they are currently in. I so wanted to be able to handle one of them, but it just did not work out. Maybe next time.

They truly should separate them two, no kidding, and then put them far away from each other. Those GWs are a boy and a girl, and yes, they are going on 3 years old, I think, and yes, they will throw in a brand new, big cage for free. When you go back again, have someone help you get one of them out, and immediately walk FAR away from the cage. You will see a HUGE difference in how they act then. :) I'm afraid as long as they keep them together, a potential new owner will be quite discouraged because of their demeanour. :(

OP
C

c3honey84

Mar 9, 2011
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Eclectus-"Roxy"
I have been to Bird Paradise a million times, but I wanted my mother in law to check out a breeder first. She has never been to one, and bought her previous birds at bird stores. I think she would like the idea of choosing a young bird and watching it grow up until she can finally take it home. I feel that it is so difficult to determine a parrot's personality at a pet store. Breeders usually know the personalities of each bird that they are raising.

As far as "All Macaws," I am not sure why they cannot sell in NJ. When I asked, she just said that they "were not able to." This breeder has been featured on Oprah and in several magazines, so they are pretty reputable. Who knows...

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I have been to Bird Paradise a million times, but I wanted my mother in law to check out a breeder first. She has never been to one, and bought her previous birds at bird stores. I think she would like the idea of choosing a young bird and watching it grow up until she can finally take it home. I feel that it is so difficult to determine a parrot's personality at a pet store. Breeders usually know the personalities of each bird that they are raising.

As far as "All Macaws," I am not sure why they cannot sell in NJ. When I asked, she just said that they "were not able to." This breeder has been featured on Oprah and in several magazines, so they are pretty reputable. Who knows...

I will NOT comment on "All Macaws". ;)

The other store I told you about DOES breed their own babies, so you might want to check her out. She NEVER sells an unweaned bird! I got my Niko from her. I met him when he was just a wee small thing, and visited him 3 times a week until he was weaned and I was able to bring him home. :)

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
I am very familiar with the two GW's that you're referring to at bird paradise. I feel so badly for them that I go and try to spend time with them when I have free time. They are definitely cage bound and the people that work there can't handle them, not even Christine. Once you spend time with them though they are very sweet. I usually bribe them with lots of pistachios and pignoili nuts first. :). I had one preening my hair the last time I was there. I feel so badly for them and I really hope they find a good home. They just need someone with lots of love, time & patience.

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
Wendy I just saw your post regarding separating them. You are probably right. They did have them apart for a while. But when I would open their cages they would go to each other immediately and snuggle and feed each other. I guess they are bonded? Not really sure, but they really love each other and seem to be sad when caged apart. Poor babies!!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Wendy I just saw your post regarding separating them. You are probably right. They did have them apart for a while. But when I would open their cages they would go to each other immediately and snuggle and feed each other. I guess they are bonded? Not really sure, but they really love each other and seem to be sad when caged apart. Poor babies!!

Kendra, yes, they ARE bonding. If BP wants to find good homes for these 2 beauties, they MUST separate them as they are literally untouchable when they are together.

The last time I was there someone ( I forgot his name ) helped me get one of them out, and I immediately walked out of that room and into the check out area. He calmed down rather quickly, and even let me pet him a little. :) But as soon as I entered the bird room he went straight for his cage, and all bets were off. :(

Most Reactions