Allee, Terry and Scott... Thank You!

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Gulf Coast, Louisiana/Mississippi State Line S/E
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"
I caught wind of this not long ago in mentioning to someone I was at home doing the injections. About 5 weeks of relief is all I could get before the pain totally returned to equavilant or even feeling worse. The Neurosurgean called it Spinal Stenosis, Evidently the Disc is pinching off the nerves to both of my legs. I've been dealing with a chiropractor for a start, and Pain Management for the injections since back in February. Evidently waiting for injections every 3 months to get 5 weeks of relief has ended the patience. Not complaining Stephen because it could be worse, I am still alive.....Just summarizing.... This week has been filled with Cardiologists etc for surgery clearances, and am due to do the Robotic surgery if all goes well with the stress test on the 9th. Doctor is advising Replacing a Disc, fusing them together, then cageing them along with a couple of screws and a rod. A work friend just had the same surgery, with a different Doctor last year, and summarized it as the best decision of his life to gain back his quality of life. So I pulled the trigger with the neurologist surgeon, and I'll guess I'll find out shortly how that works out for me. I definitely know what you've gone through, and am looking foreword to getting some relief myself. I didn't want to message you, as I know surgery is a pretty private thing, and figured you were recuperating. Hopefully you've gained the desired results you were seeking, and I'll definitely keep you in my prayers in hopes of s full recovery. I've still have 15-20 years before I'll be ready to retire, so my options of alternative pain relief have been exhausted. Seems a couple of other friends sought help from an orthopedic surgeon, and both of them are now fully medically retired, So I'm hoping the neurosurgeon results yield a much better outcome. I know they've really advanced over the years, a this is definitely something I haven't been looking foreword too, but neither was the initial injury. I've been dealing with this issue since the beginning of the year, first one doctor then another, and counting down the hours of a day between one pain pill to another just isn't in my quality of life plans. Thanks for sharing this with us Anansi..... It does add a glimmer of light to the end of the tunnel, at least it does for me. Thank You.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Aw, Casper, I'm so sorry you're going through this. The incessant pain is a terrible thing, and I'll be keeping you in my prayers for your upcoming surgery. I can honestly tell you that you are making the best decision.

My history with spinal injury is long and fraught. The surgery I just had on my cervical spine was my second spinal surgery. The first was on my lumbar spine.

Basically, I had 5 badly herniated discs. Three in my lower back, and two in my neck. I'd been dealing with this issue, and avoiding the surgeries like the plague, since I was around 27. I'm now 44. It truly robs you of quality of life, you know?

Anyhow, for the lower back surgery I decided on a double discectomy. Basically, since a herniation is pretty much the rupture of a disc which causes the 'jelly' to push outward and begin impinging on the surrounding nerves, the surgeon snipped all the extruding disc matter from the worst two discs so they were no longer pressing against my nerves. (They can only do two at a time. The thought was, if the third was a big issue they'd just go back in.) Ahhhhhhhhhh! Blessed relief! I should've done it years ago!

For the second operation, I was saddened to learn that discectomies are not an option for the smaller and more delicate cervical structures. So they went in through the front of my neck (thus avoiding all the musculature at the back), shoved my voice box to the side, removed the two offending discs, replaced them with inserts, fused the whole shebang together with some screws, wrapped it all up with some good old titanium mesh, and sent me on my merry way. (Jury's still out on this one, but my hopes are high.)

But Casper, while I know your upcoming surgery might be daunting, I have full confidence that you'll wind up feeling a lot better afterward. Please make sure to post when you can and let us know how it goes.

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"
I'll do just that Anansi, I'll keep y'all updated. I believe he said L4 & L5 Disc, Herniated and another bulging, but said he wouldn't be addressing the bulge, just working on the other two. He did say he was definitely replacing one, fusing them together, then securing them with screws, a Rod and caging them I guess with that Titanium Mesh. He said he would make two incisions, about an 1" long, one in my side, the other through my stomach, to accomplish the task. The injury began back at the beginning of the year, and like you said, I've done everything possible to avoid surgery. Chiropractor for starters until an MRI was ordered, found the Chiropractor couldn't do anything for it, Then seen a neurosurgeon, which handed me off to his Pain Management Doctor, The pain Management Doctor after seeing the X-Rays and MRI immediately prescribed pain medicine and anti inflammatories, He and I got really close really quick, He really understood the pain, but that was after seeing the MRI's and all, This Doctor has actually called me at home to check on me, not his nurse, I can't say enough good about him, But having to wait 3 months between injections that only last 5 weeks, left me 7 weeks in suffering. So back to the Neurosurgeon. Were doing the Pre-op stuff and tests now, but as a friend from work told me, "Don't even think twice, Get this done" He had the same exact surgery done last year, but with a different Doctor. He had the x-rays on his phone of the cage, screws, Rod etc... and was jumping for joy. I was very encouraged after talking with him, and after reading what you had to say as well. So I have another week before they do the surgery, It will give me time to spend with family, Rocky my English Bulldog and Ms Zoey. I believe I'll have to wear a back brace for a while after, and No driving for about 3 weeks as he explained b/c of the pain Meds, But according to him, I should be back to work in a couple of months, of course with restrictions, but I'll take that anyday over what I have now. Thanks much for the prayers, they all help.

Inger

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I had a discectomy in October of last year. I only had one herniated disc (L4 I think) so didnโ€™t need all of the fusing-cage-etc but let me tell you Iโ€™ve had zero seconds of regret. Mine was causing weakness and some loss of feeling in my right leg, which was the surgeonโ€™s concern, but also an unsustainable amount of pain. As Iโ€™m in recovery from alcohol/drug addiction, and I work in a treatment center, pain meds are right out except for the short term. The pain relief is immediate. I woke up from surgery and knew it was successful. I still have some days with echoes of the original pain, but less and less all the time and nothing I canโ€™t fix with a short walk.

Iโ€™m sure youโ€™ll be glad you did this and do make sure you keep us updated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"
Inger, that's exactly where I am right now, from both butt checks to both knees, the backs of both legs are EXTREMELY weak. If I walk 100 Yards, then try to go up a flight of stairs, It isn't happening, I have to lift my legs with my hands, They are that weak, The flip side of that, it the pain from both butt cheeks down the back of both legs to my knees is severe, Folks talk about sciatic nerve issues, well these disks are sliding back and forth when I walk, pinching off both nerves for both legs, so pain and weakness is beyond my limitations. I've never had back issues before now, But when someone says Sciatic Nerves, My ears immediately jump to attention, it's the worst pain and unbelievable weakness I've ever experienced. Since I can't walk far, I'm out of options for repair, If surgery doesn't fix it, Then I'm done, and at my age thats ridiculous. I have to put my faith in God, and travel this very last path or never walk more than a 100 yards at a time again. Everyone I've talked to about this surgery has had good feedback to give me, But I lost two other friends several years ago to Medical retirement because an Orthopedic Surgeon messed them both up worse than they started, so that's where my concern comes from. Imgur, Thank You for sharing your experience with me, it's very encouraging, especially since everything else is so bleak. I also work with another guy, who is also a recovering alcoholic, with him they are doing nerve burns, but he's called me several times to check on me, since were team mates, and he explained he was given nothing for pain. My heart melted for him, I just can't imagine that kind of pain, and no resources available for pain relief. Thankfully, I've never been a drinker, or one to take anything stronger than an aleve for a headache, and I'm always amazed that the Pain management doctor always gets a urine specimen when I get to his office to confirm this fact, I just have never experienced a doctor testing me for drugs or alcohol, so I'm always blown away, although I always know I'm good to go, and I guess it makes them feel better knowing, I'm doing everything the doctors asked. My first visit to this doctor, spawned at least a 30 page information form, it wasn't just papers, it was a book, It specified, no sharing my drugs, no borrowing my friends drugs, All I could do was shake my head and say "Really" I'm guessing with the opiod addiction going on, that the drugs are begged, borrowed, stolen, just however to get the next fix, I mean I see it on the news, but I'm always amazed in visiting the doctor, and the Doctor always apologizes for their procedures, and remarks, I'm sure you understand, some come to us for help, and others come to us for a fix. It's a big unrealized world for me.....But when the doc pulls up the x-rays and MRI, he just shakes his head and says I see exactly whats going on, then explains the pain, and where its coming from, and even how it feels, so theres no doubt he understands it, Thankfully. I've been blessed enough to get help this far, but have to go one more step for the repair. Your prayers are definitely welcomed. Thank You.

OP
Anansi

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Inger, I'm happy both for your successful surgery and your recovery from addiction. That sciatic pain and weakness is terrible, so relief from that is to be celebrated. As is your current state of recovery. I've had good friends who've gone through that, and it definitely takes strength and determination. So I want to congratulate you on that.

Stay strong, Casper. I'm glad anything I've posted helps. Let me know if you have any questions or anything.

Inger

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Casper you are much worse off than I was, and I literally wanted to die during the first couple of weeks. You have all my best thoughts and prayers that you have a wonderful, positive outcome and are back to yourself in no time.

Make sure you closely follow all of the rules they set out for your recovery! It would be a shame for the surgeon to fix you up only to backslide because you try to do too much.

Inger

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Inger, I'm happy both for your successful surgery and your recovery from addiction. That sciatic pain and weakness is terrible, so relief from that is to be celebrated. As is your current state of recovery. I've had good friends who've gone through that, and it definitely takes strength and determination. So I want to congratulate you on that.

Stay strong, Casper. I'm glad anything I've posted helps. Let me know if you have any questions or anything.

Thanks friend.

Most Reactions