Almost a year in

BennyIsMyBird

Jun 13, 2011
Montana
Parrots
Jenday Condure
It'll be going on a year since we brought Benny (Jenday) to our home. Before we bought Benny, he was at the pet store living in a plexiglass cage with one perch, one toy, and food and water on the floor. The pet store made no effort to socialize with him or even give the bird a name. He was ornery. Not mean but very defensive. After almost a year, Benny is much better socialized. Leaps and bounds compared to what he was when we brought him home. He still can be defensive and gives a very distinct warning when his boundaries have been crossed. But like I said, the progress is great. That being said, Benny doesn't know how to be a jenday. Jendays are full of activity, for example they tend to hang upside down because its fun. Benny hangs upside down because I stash food at the top of his cage. He's not active when we're not around. The bird literally creates a stalagmite.

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
So glad to hear you made such great progress! I wouldn't be too worried about him not being active when you are not there. I'm told my jenday alternates between sleeping the entire day away, or stuffing his face all day when I am not home, despite having enough toys for two or three birds his size at his disposal! I think your little guy will catch onto how to be a bird with time, especially with all the love and affection he now gets! :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
He sounds more like an amazon. I'm quite convinced amazons would sit on the couch and watch TV and eat junk food all day if you let them, lol!

Helitorian

Dec 15, 2011
Nebraska
Parrots
RIP Constantine: Jenday Conure
Con does the same thing. If I'm not home, he's on his roosting perch napping or on his food dish eating. I only see him play with toys occasionally even though he has loads of them. Of course as soon as I type that, he goes and starts playing with one... I love him lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts