Am I suitable to be a parrot parent?

kiwifeathers

Nov 25, 2016
Hi all! I've long been a great fan of parrots, and have previously bred and kept budgies mainly as a teen (with a rescue canary and a tiel on the side), but now I'm older and have a stable job, I've been thinking more and more about possibly taking on a new hand-raised companion bird.

As the title says, I'm looking for advice on my suitability as I don't believe in taking on an animal unless you are ready and able to care for it properly. I've done a lot of research already, and have studied and qualified in animal care, but I believe there is still a lot to learn when it comes to particular species, so you'll likely see me lurking the forums a bit lol...

I currently own a leopard gecko and two dogs (italian greyhound and border terrier, so small dogs, though I'd quite like my next dog to be bigger), but have previously had cats, the birds I've already mentioned and a large variety of aquariums, plus I've had a lot to do with horses though I've never owned one. I do not and will not be having children, so that isn't an issue. I'm working at a large pet store where staff are welcome to bring their parrots (or dogs) to work with them as long as they are harness trained. So far I think I'm the only one with any interest in doing so though. I'm currently working part time but have stable hours and enough income to get by along with a large amount stashed away for emergencies (my dogs both have pet insurance also, and if thats something I can get for the bird, I will do so). Since I'm a true animal nut, anything I don't use on my essentials goes into extras for the animals. I don't go out much (only the occasional dinner with friends) and the only time I go away is to dog shows, though as I am working weekends atm that may be off the table for a while. However, there will be a lot of free time for training and bonding with a bird. My dogs already know a variety of useless (and some less useless) tricks lol!

As for what I might be looking for in a parrot; I don't have a lot of interest in talking ability (if the bird has it, thats a bonus) or much of a preference with physical appearance. All parrots are lovely animals to me. I'd like a bird that leaned more towards cuddly and probably medium to large in size just because of the dogs (not that they would be left together unsupervised! It's just they are much more prey driven around small animals). The lower the noise levels the better, but its not an absolute deal breaker. I've worked in kennels, noise doesn't really bother me much, but I do live in the suburbs so that is something I should take into consideration.Dust levels shouldn't be an issue as I haven't had problems around parrots of various types before. Living in New Zealand means some species are very uncommon or just not here at all. One species I've always been fond of and am looking into are galahs.

And I'm sure there are some vital things I've missed out since I'm trying to multitask product training and this at the same time, so please feel free to ask questions! All advice is welcome, even if that is "don't get a parrot".

Last edited:

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
It sounds like you have done some research and are much more responsible than most (many people say, DONT TELL ME DONT GET ONE!!!, then provide a list along the lines of, I want a parrot that: doesnt make noise, doesnt bite, wont poop on me, and wont get eaten by my cat. Im sure youre shaking your head too, lmao!). With that said, being in NZ Im sure cockatoos are readily available, but cockatoos are considered by many to be the most difficult species (with exceptions, like a Galah), more so for the larger ones. I dont know much about toos, Im more of a new world parrot person but from what I have heard and seen, Galahs/RB2s are not as high maintenance as say a U2 or Citron, so that may be a good choice for you. Toos are known to be the most cuddly of the parrots, so there you go also. They can be super loud, but again I think some of the other species are more true to this reputation. As long as you have normal hours and have the time to spend with your bird, and continue researching, I think you may have said it yourself which species is good for you. The best way to tell is to go see for yourself - go to a bird shop and handle different birds and see what you like - but also remember all birds have different personalities so dont be necessarily turned off to a particular soecies because of one example. If a Galah is your dream bird, go for it, just remember it is nearly a lifetime commitment, and vet bills, toys, and food, etc can cost quite a bit!
Good luck and keep us posted.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
You sound to have done your research. Since you seem to be interested in cockatoos, one thing they all universally seem to be is voracious wood chewers. All parrots need and enjoy chewing wood, but cockatoos seem to have a special love for ripping stuff up! Considerations here are you may have a bit more toy making or higher toy costs associated with cockatoos.

Another consideration with parrots over more domesticated animals like dogs and cats is biting. All parrots bite occasionally, even well trained ones, even very loving ones. They may be born in captivity, but are not considered domesticated (no more than 2-3 generations out of the wild for the bigger ones) and are effectively "tame" wild animals. Properly socialized, happy, loving, behaviorally sound birds can go years and years without biting, but it will happen every so often (especially as a juvenile reaches puberty, those can be a tough couple years!). Parrot bites in larger species can range from a nip to requiring stitches. Smaller species may be able to break skin, but cannot do the same level of damage as bigger birds. This is not to scare you, but to help you make an informed decision. I would bet 99.9999999% of users on here have been bit at some point (or multiple some points) by their birds bad enough to draw blood and somehow we all still love the little winged demons:rolleyes:

As for your reptiles and fish, just be sure the enclosure lids are extra secure with a bird around. Parrots are very curious animals. They pose a danger to smaller animals as well as any open source of water (or an aquarium) is a potential place to drown. I've had my leopard gecko and primarily aquatic newt longer than my bird and never any issues, but both in very safe enclosures with some creative modifications to the lid on the vivarium to prevent any possibility of him getting in and drowning.

One last thing, you will just "know" when you find the right bird. Kind of a "love at first sight" thing. I spent months and months in contact with shelters, scouring online listings etc... and even though I saw some very nice seeming birds, it never felt 'right'. Then after no luck, in a matter of a couple days from initial contact with the prior owner, I had brought Kiwi home. And I knew as soon as I saw him he was special:) I saw your earlier thread. He may or may not be the right bird, but if your gut is telling you something about him, it never hurts to meet with the bird to confirm there is no way you could ever live without him (or her);)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have only a little to add to the above excellent Posts.

So, as an expansion only, If the Parrot has the same reaction as you, that's even better.

Also, you will find that you have far less extra cash, since Mid to Larger Parrots will contribute greatly to cash rushing from your pockets.

Not sure where in this Huge World you are from, but it is important to have an Certified Avian Vet or at least an Avian Qualified Vet near enough to you that you would be willing to drop everything and make a Mad Rush to their office.

Regarding an Avian Vet, assure that you have the cash in place to see that Avian Vet the same day you get your Parrot or very soon there after! New Parrot Examination is very important as it sets into record the health status of your Parrot from day one.

Suitability is a huge subject! Knowledge is very important, but commitment to a level that the Parrot entering your home is being provided a: Forever Home! That home being committed too providing a natural healthy diet along with a long list of care and support items, forever. If all true, then you are likely suitable.

Remember, It's NEVER the FAULT of the Parrot! It is ALWAYS the FAULT of the Human! This vantage point will provide you great insight into working with and understanding your Parrot.

I hope it works out Well for you! Being Owned By A Parrot is a True Joy!!!

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
You have received some great advice. It sounds like you have already found a bird. If not, I would just like to mention a Pionus. They are known for being not too loud, however not as cuddly as toos.

OP
kiwifeathers

kiwifeathers

Nov 25, 2016
Thanks all for the comments and advice. There really is more to consider with parrots than any other species you could take on as a pet, which is why I'm taking my time to think about everything. It's hard given the time of year here, as it is when all the young hand raised babies are for sale, lookin cute! :p

Unfortunately SilleIN, Pinonus aren't an option as I don't think there are any in New Zealand.

From what I've seen commonly available species of medium or larger parrot/parakeet are Indian ringnecks, alexandrines, lorikeets (rainbow, red-collared, and scallies), king parrots/crimson wings/other aussie grass parrots, and galahs. Then less common are plum heads and mustaches, eclectus, sulpher-crested 'toos, corellas and african greys. Macaws of any kind (I've only ever seen blue and golds for sale), goffins, and amazons are rare. I've seen red-tailed blacks for sale once, and they were 10k each.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
The very fact that you're researching and reaching out gives me a good feeling about you!!!!!!!!!

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
I am new to owning galahs, but I LOVE my RB2, Lucille. She is not particularly cuddly, but she loves her head scratches; however, her not-so-cuddly-ness may very well just be her. Plus she and I are still really getting to know each other and that may change. She does love to destroy things, but is quite happy with cardboard in addition to wood toys so is not all that expensive when it comes to toys. She is indeed very independent (very happy to play all day on her own), and she is no more needy than my conure or Quaker were. She definitely is not needy the way bigger toos are, for sure.

Lucille does enjoy being on the ground sometimes, though, which I think is a relatively common trait for galahs due to the fact that they spend a lot of time on the ground in the wild searching for food. Due to that you may want to make very sure that your dogs are well trained in dealing with a bird on the ground in case she decides she likes it a lot down there. (I have two small dogs, and they are scared of her, so if she's on the ground, they're zipping out of the room!)

I would absolutely recommend a galah from my experience alone. Lucille is sweet, and she is much quieter than my sun conure was for sure. In fact, she does not make much noise at all--unless I am on Skype, then it is apparently noise time! ;) She can be a bit suspicious of things and is not easy to trick train or flight train, but I have only had her for about 3 months at this point, so we're only just beginning to fully bond. I say if you really want a mid-size bird, go galah! This is simply my experience, as Lucille is the only galah I have ever met in person, but I thought I would share the details of my baby with you--I know I loved hearing about other people's experiences with galahs before I got Lucille. (Heck, I still love hearing about other people's experiences with galahs!) ;)

OP
kiwifeathers

kiwifeathers

Nov 25, 2016
Well, major change of plans. Landlady has turned around and decided she doesn't want a big bird on the property, even though we have discussed it more than once. Not sure why she has changed her mind. So... smaller bird suggestions, anyone?

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
Well, major change of plans. Landlady has turned around and decided she doesn't want a big bird on the property, even though we have discussed it more than once. Not sure why she has changed her mind. So... smaller bird suggestions, anyone?

Well if you wanted a too, a cockatiel is basically a too, they are the same family. However they do have a voice to them :)

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
A Galah isnt really considered a "big bird". If I were you Id put what she says on the floor and step on it. When I moved in they didnt know I had a bird in a supposed "pet free" place, and they told me he has to go, I said okay then say good bye to 2 more years worth of rent and a solid tenant, goodbye. They said "im sorry its okay! You can stay just he isnt that loud is he!?". Been here for two years now and not a complaint. If it were a U2 or a Macaw, then I wouldnt do this, but a Galah is only so much bigger than a cockatiel anyway. I think she would fall in love with the bird upon meeting it anyway

MarleyRB2

Nov 13, 2016
Parrots
Galah: Marley
Puck's right, I just got my galah 10 days ago and she is tiny! All the videos on youtube and the web make them seem massive!

Btw, I'm from NZ too!:D

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
I would say that galahs are only "big" in comparison to your usual "pet shop birds" like budgies and parakeets, conures and Quakers. I take Lucille to the vet in my size small Perch n Go, and while I have to set the perch on the lowest hole, she fits. This is a carrier I bought for a Quaker. She also fits comfortably (albeit unhappily) in my Quaker's old cage. They're small-to-midsize in the pet parrot lineup for sure. I think the fact that they're chubby looking birds (even at a healthy weight) makes them seem bigger than they are, sort of like someone with wide shoulders can actually be shorter than someone who is very slim, but seem bigger.

Most Reactions