Am I the only one here that doesn't care if my birds talk at all?

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
BlueJeans talks, but nobody can understand what it is that she's saying. And it's rare. But she does scream. That's when Simba starts saying "stop" and "quiet" and occasionally "shut up". It's hilarious sitting in another room listening to them go back and forth.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
actually, none of my birds talk, and I have 38 of them!, LOL

the only one that has the talking capability is Willow, my Jardine, she has a very robotic voice, but talks a blue streak and in full sentences....I just wish I could understand what she's saying.

It makes no difference to me what so ever, talk, don't talk, I just enjoy birds. Period.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I prefer birdie noises :) only my conure talks...but I like his steely blue-jay call better. And his duck noises lol

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
I did my research before I got Porter.

I wanted a bird that was relatively quiet for apartment life; cuddly and rather independant as well.

Talking is never a nessesity xP

And he... well he's 'quiet' enough that the neighbors can't hear him.. cuddles pretty much all day.. and hangs out quite happily by himself when I'm gone.

So no... who cares about talking? A snuggle buddy is muuuuch better.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Now that I think about it, every single time I bring Rosie out and about a majority of people ask if she can talk D: I guess because that's what parrots are famous for people want to see it

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
When people asked whether my budgies could talk, I'd say yes, but only budgie, not english.

My weiros do noises rather than words. Tony says something, but I don't know what he's saying, mostly he whistles. Doris picked up the sound of the drill when I was fixing up my cocky's cage. She does that first thing in the morning.

leschornmom

Nov 19, 2013
Parrots
two rescue Macaws
I just got our Macaws and I assumed that they WOULDN'T talk. I was, however, pleasantly surprised when one started talking like crazy. Though I have to say, that the little girl is much more endearing with her non-human chatter and her little squawks. So I'm enjoying both! Human speaking or birdie speaking... I could care less!

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
Actually, talking is the lowest thing on my priority list while I'm looking for a new companion parrot. I could care less if they talk, but if they do, I figure it's a bonus, but not a necessity.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I've had this discussion with other parrot enthusiasts, and the thing that seems to bother people is tht they feel like their birds are being valued more or less based on whether they can mimic human speech. I don't think it is always the case when someon asks, I think it is more like parrots can be intimidating and hearing them "talk" is an interaction they can enjoy without crossing a boundary. That's just what I interpret because a lot of my non-bird friends are really kind of afraid of them.

I've had parrots since I was 5 and never had on talk until I was 25. Its not what makes me love them. But for a lot of folks, the only thing they know about parrots is that some can talk so its the only question they know to ask. You can look at is as an opportunity to show someone how awesome parrots can be in other respects :) I always felt really bothered by people who keep parrots because they are pretty, and have no idea that they're incredibly capable of being loving companions. You'd be surprised how astonished people are when I show them that you can hold a parakeet.

I get your point. While I take Captain Jack in public sometimes I also dread it. Since Captain Jack is not a budgie etc (that a regular pet store carries) he draws more attention. Some people try to get him to talk (to no avail). I dread it because now some people seem to think it is cool if they see he is cuddly or calmly stays on my shoulder. I remember when I told some people about Clover and their interest disappeared when the found out she could not talk. Sadly some people only want a parrot because they are pretty or they can talk. I also now wonder if Captain Jack being so tame also does not help matters and may make some people want a bird like him.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
the thing that seems to bother people is tht they feel like their birds are being valued more or less based on whether they can mimic human speech. I don't think it is always the case when someon asks,
Yes, I think it could just be a "polite question", like you feel you have to say something. With babies, people ask "how old", with dogs "what kind is he"? The question doesn't bother me, I don't feel that anybody is "judging" my birds in that way. I wouldn't really care if they were, they're my birds and if I don't care, it's a non-issue.

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
After I answer the question"Does she talk?", the next one is "can you make her say ..."

I reply, "Yeah, with that beak, I can't make her do anything. I'm just lucky to still have ten fingers"

They usually take the hint that maybe they shouldn't just try to pet her... :D

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
While I do enjoy parrots talking, singing and making sounds like electronic gadgets, it is not on my list of priorities for ownership. Skittles says a few phrases, but that has nothing to do with what attracted her to me.

The funniest thing is when she gets down on the floor, she starts having a conversation with herself, but it is complete jibberish. You can't make out any words... :D

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Hahahaha

Am i the only one who prefers hearing the jibberish?

Fargo says his few words, hello, what, step up, mum..

But i can not stop laughing when he says absolute dribble, but he is just SO excited by it.. It sounds hilarious!

What i love most, is how they act like toddlers?

You know when a toddler does something, and you laugh, and they do it again for attention because you laughed?

Last night Fargo was saying the funniest word with the weirdest expression.. And i burst out laughing... and he looked at me, and said it again.. Like he knew it would get a response?

Ahhh i love his craziness :p

I sometimes don't like that he talks though, because when we go to town, EVERYONE can hear him, so everyone comes over... We were waiting outside maccas one day and he would not stop yelling hello... People in the drivethrough just thought there was a crazy person running around yelling hello ;)
I always just tell people that he bites, i don't want random strangers touching him :eek:

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
HAHAHA!!! Chili has random jibberish that she spouts off while waving her crest/head and bobbing around. Lol

I haven't taken her out in public yet, but that's a good idea tab- ill just tell people she's vicious and bites so they'll leave her alone *evil grin*

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
I do not own a bird, but it would not be important for me that it be able to speak human, as long as it and I understood each other! I do think it is near miraculous that they can, given how completely different our anatomy is, and interviewed an author who explained the form words with muscles in their throat, rather than lips like we do!

I did used to whistle/tweet back at birds when I was a kid and mimic them, until the day I got dive-bombed by a furious robin! I was unknowingly standing right under her nest (in an apple tree above my head), and she was ten feet away cussing at me, which I mimicked back at her!

My Dad, needless to say, saw the whole thing, and had a good laugh out of it!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
and he looked at me, and said it again.. Like he knew it would get a response?
Since I've been trying to teach my girl to let me touch her wings with a view to getting her harness on her, I've been trying to train her to lift her wings. She does it like a performance. First she rolls her neck around and then out they come, she bobs up and down, the head goes. I clap and she does it again. They are certainly keen on "audience response"

davisn456

May 3, 2013
Saint Albans, WV
Parrots
1 B&G Macaw - Frankie
Frankie could say Hi, Hello, and Bye Bye when I first adopted her, and I honestly wasn't looking too much for that in a bird. Personality was so much more important than being able to put on a show. But she has learned more words since then, really on her own. I do talk to her all the time, but not with the intention so much of her learning new words. She's learned "Come Here", "Come on", "Step Up", and I really wasn't working to try to teach her. She's also changed the voice that she says hello. Originally, I assume it was in her previous owner's voice. Now it sounds like me. Sometimes she still says it the old way though. It's as if they mean different things to her. I also noticed recently that she says just "Here" by itself occasionally. I finally put 2 and 2 together and realized that when I hand her a treat, I always offer it to her and say "Here". So, I guess "Here" actually means "Treat" to her. I find the whole process fascinating. She makes a lot of other sounds that I'm sure mean something to her as well. I just see the words as ways she reaches out to me, and feel very lucky that she does what she does. And, if she never learns to say anything else, that's fine with me.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The funny thing is the people that ask that always refer to the bird as "IT!"

"DOES IT TALK?!"

One of my favorite phrases I taught my grey:

"I can talk, can you fly?!"

He doesn't always do it on cue, but when he does... :eek:

Jaws drop!

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Talk Shmawk. I don't care. We've been together long enough for us to communicate without words, like an old married couple, hahahaaaaa.
Besides, I think humming, cooing, screeching, cackling, etc. is a language of it's own that one needs to learn if they want to communicate with birds that only speak that particular language. Just like one needs to learn sign language, or Dolphin, etc. if they want to communicate with those that use them.

Most Reactions