Am I the only one here that doesn't care if my birds talk at all?

OP
nyspy

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
It's nice to know we all have birds for the right reason.. not because they talk..

FreedomAndForgiven

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Lucy (B&G Macaw), Phoenix (Camilla Macaw), Gizmo (Goffin Cockatoo),
Rita (Military Macaw),
Mango (Goffin Cockatoo),
I think it's really cool when they talk, but we love our birds just the same. Some of the sounds they make, and how they act are amusing enough. We are still working with our rescues, but they're starting to open up a lot.

OP
nyspy

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
It takes time.. Duke is just starting to talk up a storm. I heard birds are very shy about talking.. although, from what I've experienced, it's true.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I know chili is shy about talking sometimes- she practices when she thinks she's alone lol but when we brought Jackie home (a rehome) he wouldn't quit talking!! He talked and talked and talked...probably said everything in his vocabulary in the first night; about 16 phrases!! I was shocked!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
After I answer the question"Does she talk?", the next one is "can you make her say ..."

I reply, "Yeah, with that beak, I can't make her do anything. I'm just lucky to still have ten fingers"

They usually take the hint that maybe they shouldn't just try to pet her... :D

I actually like that answer a lot... I may use it next time.

Nathan1

Nov 30, 2013
Canada
Parrots
Quaker- Stitch
GCC - Yoshi
RCA - Polly
All of my birds talk, just not all of them speak English. I don't care. When I got my budgie they said it won't talk if you put it with another budgie. She looked lonely, she got another budgie. She only talks "budgie", that's fine with me.

Because my galah can already say "hello", I do say things to her that she might one day repeat. I don't care whether she ever does, but it would be a nice surprise if she suddenly did. That's just because I'm impressed by all of her "schtick", not because I specifically want her to talk.

I love watching budgies converse, it makes me laugh and I try to imagine what they're talking about. Excluding humans, parrots and dolphins have the most complex forms of communication. Parrots even name their young...Zoosemiotics is a very fascinating subject when it comes to parrots but I'm going to stop myself there and answer the question.

Talking parrots can be very comical, but I don't take talking ability into consideration when I adopt a bird. Though it can be lots of fun, it's not that important to me.

Buzz2537

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw
When I got my Hahn's a lot of what I read said they were good talkers, even better then the bigger Macaws but I took it with a grain of salt. So many told me the big personality they had in their little bodies but it was hard to imagine her being anything near what my Cockatoo was. I was hesitant about putting a deposit on her and at the same time limited to the type of parrot I could have due to severe Asthma the powder from my Boo created. I so wanted another as I missed my Boo so much but at the same time did not want to endure having to give another up. I knew I would be alright with a small oil based parrot so after watching them for weeks on Youtube I decided to do it. I went with the mind set that 1. I would love her no matter what meaning whether she spoke or not and 2. You get what you put in and I knew I would spend a lot of time with her this she would at the least be a good companion and hopefully a little character. I am fortunate Hahnna is all they described and more, but had she turned out differently because all are individuals then I would be alright with just a little buddy on my shoulder. The one thing that seems to ring true with the Hahn's is they are very vocal so if you do not teach them to talk they have a tendency to use their own natural calls for attention so we really have focused greatly on the talking and also word association. Elaine and Hahnna

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
I love everything about caiques, but I do wish they could talk. Haha it's cool when they can talk but I love my caique so much and he has the best personality, so I really don't care. My Quaker could talk really well but he was a little brat and very territorial, which I still loved him, but I'm glad my caique is such a little goof-monster!!!!! He's such a ham too hah

Most Reactions