Amazon help!!!

MilS

Aug 30, 2012
London, uk
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon - Raja hatched on 20/06/2013
Hi all

I would like to ask a quick question about my BFA.

Yoshi will turn 1 on the 20th may and is DNA tested as a female.

I got home from work today and was informed by my mum that my BFA has just excreted red, not sure if this is blood. This is the 1st time it has happened and I am worried of what this could be. She seems very attentive and is being her normal self. She doesn't seem agitated at all.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Milap

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Unless you can confirm for a fact some really red food has been eaten like cherries, raspberries or something like that a vet trip is in order.
If it was food next time she poops it should not be red as they process food very quickly.
Good Luck

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Has Yoshi eaten any type of red fruit? If so, this can make their poop more watery and red! If not, then may be take him to the vet just to make sure.

OP
M

MilS

Aug 30, 2012
London, uk
Parrots
Hi

Thank you for your responses, I have been observing Yoshi for a few hours now and she had had tomatoes and carrots today. I have seen her puke up about an hour ago! But has stopped since, drank some water and seems a lot more relaxed now. Might be indigestion? But I will take her to the vets to get her checked out.

I thought it could be periods but she's not even 1 yet so aim assuming it can't be that.

Have any of you had similar experiences?

Worrying times.

OP
M

MilS

Aug 30, 2012
London, uk
Parrots
Ps. Oh forgot to mention she's had, lettuce, cucumber, carrot and tomatoes today so that would explain her watery poop but not sure if to,atones and carrot would make it red!!

Sorry for the inconsistent posts, just typing things as I remember.

Thanks

Milap

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Too young for sexual maturity and it doesn't work like that with birds even if she was.
Puking is also not a good sign.
I have not experienced anything like this and I would call a vet for some advice and an appointment, birds try to hide signs of illness so when you see any signs it's best to be discussed with a professional.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Ditto on what the previous folks have told you. If there is CONFIRMED blood in her droppings, she must see an avian vet ASAP.

Regurgitating (puking) is not really normal behavior for a 1 year old Amazon.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Don't we have great members?? My guess is ,it was the tomatoes. how are things now?

OP
M

MilS

Aug 30, 2012
London, uk
Parrots
Well she's very quiet and not her normal self. She's very drowsy, still pooing red, although this is less watery. And I can see she's been vomiting over night. I've got a emergency vet appt in a couple of hours so hopefully it's nothing serious.

Thanks for all your input guys. Will let you know the outcome.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Has Yoshi been eating raw tomatoes? From my understanding, raw tomatoes can cause an upset tummy in parrots. While they aren't acutely toxic, you probably shouldn't feed them anymore. The only foods that actually "dye" poo red are berries and sometimes the pellets that contain red food dye. As for the vomiting, that is ptobably not explained away by regurgitation (a natural behavior, but inly after sexual maturity). This is likely an issue that needs to be addressed by the vet, and it's better to be safe than sorry when you see potential blood in their poo. Save a sample for the vet to see (cut the newspaper around the odd colored poop and put it in a ziplock bag). Best of luck!

OP
M

MilS

Aug 30, 2012
London, uk
Parrots
Just got back for the vets. Yoshi stopped pooping red before I got the the vet but I had taken a sample in a text tube to have checked.

Turns out the red was from tomatoes, no blood cells or bacteria present in her red poop or new poop she did there. No parasites etc in her puke. However she is still feeling down and the vet said she has some sort of infection. Antibiotics prescribed and a follow up check up within a week.

Still a ill worried, I suppose I will be until Yoshi recovers.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I am pleased the poop was normal.

Sorry she is still a little unwell, but hope she recovers soon :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Blood in droppings rarely ever comes out red, unless it's right at the cloaca, or vent.

Any thoughts on probiotics, immune supplements or milk thistle?

OP
M

MilS

Aug 30, 2012
London, uk
Parrots
Hi all! Thought I'd give you an update on yo shi'a progress!

After a 5 day antibiotics course and tlc she is now back to her normal self. Speaking away and causing mayhem!! Gotta love zons.

I've also decided to change her diet to Harrison's high potency course pellets! She didn't like them at first but is steadyly growing on her. Hopefully this will help with keeping her vitamins and minerals up!

Thank you all for your support, is was very much appreciated.

Milap

Turk

Feb 14, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Bogey - YN Amazon Hatched Jan. 1982
I am glad to hear Yoshi is back to normal and thanks for the update!!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Glad she's feeling better!

Birds are lucky, in that they don't have periods like humans! I do wonder though what might have set her system off, though.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Glad she is doing ok. Just a reference for in the future many things can change a parrots poop. Colored pellets for example are a big one. Zu preem came out with a veggie blend and I tried it just to see. Some liked it but it turns there poop bright lime green which is very bad this is a major sign of parrot fever or psittacosis. After realizing that all veggie blend was green and light green at that I realized this:/.

Most Reactions

Latest posts