Amazons vs African Greys

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
I gotta chime in and say its not a matter of if the bird happens to bite but when. It WILL happen.
In my very limited experience you have to be willing to take a full force bite from the bird or you guys will never trust each other. (your afraid of getting hurt and stop opening the cage as much as you use to, the bird gets more desperate for attention of any kind and starts biting even more...... well you get the point.)
Originally after 2 or 3 failed attempts at owning a parrot I decided birds were too neurotic for me and I was afraid of them.
once I figured out that birds will bite no matter what I decided to only get smaller birds that dont cause quite so much damage with their bites.
my first small bird was a handraised budgie. he could be a real S.O.B when he wanted.
but I wasnt afraid of him and his bites didnt hurt me and he soon learned biting was useless and I was gonna get my way. He grew into an amazingly awesome bird. unfortunately I wasnt careful enough with cleaning supplies and he died (another lesson learned the hard way)
Ive now got an amazing red rumped parakeet who is probably the most gentle bird in the world and she even occasionally bites under the right (or wrong) circumstances.
but I ignore her threats and she gives up because she sees its useless.
another thing you need to consider which I feel is a much bigger issue then getting your thumb eaten by a bird is the screaming.
small birds are much easier to ignore when they are chirping at the top of their lungs
An upset (or bored) amazon or african grey could make you less popular with your neighbors.
so picture this - you dont want to get the bird out of the cage because you still havent gotten the stitches removed from last time. the bird decides that screaming at you is the way to change your mind. so now you have a house full of people who dont get any sleep, havent heard half of the movies they've tried to watch and soon start to hate the bird who doesnt understand what the problem is. so the bird starts thinking "maybe I just have too many feathers? I bet if I pull them all out things will get better." once that starts good luck selling that ugly thing! nope better off just getting a smaller bird. I hear parrotlets are alot like miniature amazons. just as neurotic but quieter and alot less dangerous.
Im making a lame attempt at being funny here but seriously, the above story is from my own personal experience and im serious when I say if your not willing to take a few hard bites from it, dont get it.

"A bad" perrot ower will surly experiance like above, but is a perrot is treated the right way this description is not what it is to own a Zon or a CAG.

A personal experiance is not facts, A perrot bad behavior can be caused by the ovner.

god61021

Aug 8, 2011
illinois
Parrots
red rumped parakeet
yes a bad parrot owner is what you become when you unwittingly get in over your head. I was suggesting this is what happens when people who dont know what to expect buy a large parrot that they are not equipped to deal with.
actually my tongue in cheek story IS very much fact for thousands of parrots in shelters all over the world. but, I did not mean to suggest that any of these issues are the birds fault. too many people buy the baby cockatoo at the petstore and have no idea how much care and attention that bird is going to need. the store doesnt tell them because they either have no idea either or they are just trying to make a sell.
then all too often that birds life plays out exactly as it did in the story I told.
long story short - the point of my story to the original poster was, there WILL be bites and there WILL be ear splitting screaming. if you buy a large parrot and you are not prepared for this it will end bad for everyone.

Last edited:

HiteshParmar

Apr 29, 2020
India
Parrots
Budgie, Future planning African Grey
Hello,
I'm Hitesh Parmar from INDIA
I love all of your parrots buddy.
I'm planning to buy one of this species but still I'm getting confused?
Actually im planning to buy one of them AFG or BFA and i love both of them very much. But pls suggest me which one is best talker best entertainer best family member for me?
Please suggest and share your experience.🙏🏻
Lots of love from India 🇮🇳
Thank you.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Hello,
I'm Hitesh Parmar from INDIA
I love all of your parrots buddy.
I'm planning to buy one of this species but still I'm getting confused?
Actually im planning to buy one of them AFG or BFA and i love both of them very much. But pls suggest me which one is best talker best entertainer best family member for me?
Please suggest and share your experience.🙏🏻
Lots of love from India 🇮🇳
Thank you.

Ummmm….this thread is TEN YEARS OLD!!! :eek:

Jim

Most Reactions