An update on me and my (now three) birds.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hi Emily, I was so happy to see this post. I'm glad to hear Cookie is doing better. Congrats on the beautiful new addition to your flock.

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Always glad to see you posting, but you knew that. :)
Cloud is beautiful. Your flock is very lucky to have you. I hope cookie continues to improve and you and Merle/Burt continue to bond and enjoy your wonderful adventures together. I'm sure cloud will come around with time.

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
Always glad to see you posting, but you knew that. :)
Cloud is beautiful. Your flock is very lucky to have you. I hope cookie continues to improve and you and Merle/Burt continue to bond and enjoy your wonderful adventures together. I'm sure cloud will come around with time.

Thank you.

I have decided to keep Merle called Merle and Cloud's new name is Nova. :)
I know Nova is more of a girl name, but it can be used as a boy name too. His full name can be Supernova, but he can go by Nova. :)

I think he is making progress. He wants to be out of his cage pretty often now, but I don't know if I should let him out yet. He's still quite nervous. My main concern is how I would get him back in his cage when he's so nervous. He wants out badly sometimes, he starts running back and forward and he has learned how to open the door himself. Should I let him out?

Merle jumped on my plate and landed in ketchup earlier. It was funny. He also keeps laughing like crazy. He hasn't really said any words yet though. He likes to flip himself over and wrestle my fingers while laughing. Cookie loves him, but he doesn't like her that much.

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I'd say if he wants to be out and near you then let him come out! But have a plan in case he needs to go back. I assume you've already tried using a favorite treat, so if something like that doesn't work then maybe eat something hear his cage and if he seems to want some then use that to bribe him!

Worst comes to worst you can use a towel. And I think Nova is an awesome name. Nice and spontaneous haha :D

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
I'd say if he wants to be out and near you then let him come out! But have a plan in case he needs to go back. I assume you've already tried using a favorite treat, so if something like that doesn't work then maybe eat something hear his cage and if he seems to want some then use that to bribe him!

Worst comes to worst you can use a towel. And I think Nova is an awesome name. Nice and spontaneous haha :D

Thanks.

I didn't want to use a towel because he hates it and it would just scare him further. He might step up on a perch, but last time he flew off after stepping up. :confused:

If he wants out badly enough tomorrow, I might let him out and see how it goes.

I'm glad you like the name.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I think Nova's a great name for him. Loved the photos, Emily. So glad everyone is doing well.

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Merle's screaming was really stressing me out and I thought I would have to rehome him, I didn't want to say on the forum though because I was worried people on here would think I was stupid for buying him and then giving him to another home so I thought it would be easier to just leave, but things are going better now with him, so hopefully I can fully overcome my problem with loud noises and be able to keep him.

I for one would NEVER judge a person based on a decision they had to make about THEIR bird, No one here is in your home dealing with any problems you are dealing with

Losing you here because of that would have been TERRIBLE.....

Glad you are still here, will come back to this thread later, must sleep now, Very Late on the east coast!!

Nite Nite

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Everyone's lives are different and I know regardless of how much info is given, I don't know the whole story so I can only give advise and make recommendations, maybe some options too but you ultimately make the right choice for you. Remember that in every situation, nobody has the whole picture.

For Merle's situation, do you eat where he can see you? For Buddy and I food is the biggest helper and motivator. I also put his cage close to me in the livingroom so he's within 3 feet of me. I talk to him, we whistle too. I leave his cage door open when I'm home. He doesn't always come out but he will and he knows he can. I let him come to me too, on his terms so I think that empowers him, plus the amount of time we spend together helps. I think sometimes just being close, doing every day things and talking can help out. That's my experience, oh and patience which I have to practice. Hang in there :).

Most Reactions