Are Dog Raw Hide Toys Safe for Parrots?

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I don't know what brought this to mind...maybe Max's voracious appetite for shredding toys. But are standard raw hide dog toys safe for parrots? On one hand, I would think yes, they would be safe for parrots if they're safe for dogs. Then on the other hand, I think no, because, dude, have you seen the kinds of things dogs are willing to put in their mouths? And the crap they "market" as dog toys?

I searched the threads but didn't find anything or just missed it. It would be soooooo easy just to string a few doggy raw hids in Max's cage to see if those would take longer than 2 hrs to shred.

Bettymonroe

May 19, 2010
FLA
Parrots
Lookin for a new friend!
dog raw hide are not all that good for dogs...lol.. But i did see a bird to the other day with one built right into the toy...so idk

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I have read in more than one book that raw hides are ok for parrots. I have one on a toy and Rosie chews on it but gets nowhere.

OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
dog raw hide are not all that good for dogs...lol.. But i did see a bird to the other day with one built right into the toy...so idk

I know...it's because they swallow the raw hide and it causes digestive issues. It gives our dogs gas...nasty, clear-the-room kind of gas, so they don't get it often.

OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
I have read in more than one book that raw hides are ok for parrots. I have one on a toy and Rosie chews on it but gets nowhere.

Thanks...I was thinking that I'd seen it on toys before, but I wasn't sure about the raw hide chips one gets at the pet store in the dog toy sections.

Oogies Mom

May 4, 2010
I've heard that not all rawhide is safe for dogs. Look for brands that are made/manufactured in the U.S.A (ones from other countries have added chemicals or something that aren't safe). Coincidentally, my sun conure has a toy with rawhide on it and my dog picked it up the other day and wanted to go outside and bury it :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts