Are Goffin's strong flyiers??

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
My newly adopted 'too Jonesy, I had his wings clipped a couple weeks ago,and it seems like he can still catch a little air. Its beautiful here and been thinking of taking him outside with me.

Amy sinks like a rock with her wings clipped,but what do you expect at 507 g's :rolleyes: Jonesy is only 279.

What do you think?

Jim

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Jim, I may be a little paranoid but I would suggest a harness, a pet carrier or an outdoor cage. A lot of birds escape after a recent clip. I'm sure Jonesy would probably love an outdoor adventure.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm really paranoid as well! While many advocate the joys of outside time for parrots, do a forum search and learn the heartache of cherished pets either lost for days/weeks or forever. It's a balance, and where I live there are high concentrations of raptors. The only time mine go outside are when their cages are power-washed with all entrances totally secure, or inside a carrier to the vet.

Goffins can be excellent fliers and all of my babies raised in captivity are proficient. They are extremely nimble in close quarters and have never hit a wall or object. The wild-caught parents are particularly strong fliers, and I've noticed they perform more effortlessly than their offspring who have never flown outdoors.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
My dad's goffin is a highly skilled flier. Fast too! Even back when I was a little kid and he was clipped, he could still zip around pretty well. No way Alfie could ever go outside without being in a cage. He would be gone and never seen again!

I would suggest harness training Jonesy or investing in a bird backpack.

Most Reactions

Latest posts