Two behavior questions

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Clyde, Quaker; Freddie, tiel; Rocky, umbrella cockatoo.
When Rocky is on my arm sometimes, he sidles down toward my hand and uses one foot to kind of reach and feel as if he wants to sit on the other arm, but when I offer it, that's not what he wants. He then puts it up on my body as if he wants to climb me. It reminds me of my Quaker, Clyde, when he's feeling romantic, which of course I discourage, and I put Clyde on a perch when he's doing that. Is it the same thing? How do I discourage romantic tendencies in a 'too???? And is it as awful to have a 'too in love with you as it is to have a Quaker in love with you? My pigeon thinks I'm her mate but that doesn't involve violence, while my Quaker can be downright scary when he's doing his Thwarted Lover routine, in spite of his size. I can NOT imagine dealing with a 'too in that mood.

Second one is when I want to put Rocky down and he doesn't want to get down, he climbs up to my shoulder, but he doesn't like sitting on my shoulder and I'm not crazy about it, either, thanks to that BEAK. He never offers to chomp, unlike the Quakers, but he could, and I don't want to lose an ear. LOL Do any of you let your 'too sit on your shoulder? The good news is, he's more than willing to come back down and sit on my arm, where I have an interesting collection of dents and scratches now thanks to his toenails. I need one of those gauntlets falconers use!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm not familiar with the arm behavior you describe; perhaps others will know if it is suggestive of mating.

Only my tame and trustworthy birds have shoulder privileges. I have no fear from my 3 hand-fed Goffins or female Eclectus. Many parronts dissuade the shoulder for obvious reasons.

OP
Siobhan

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Clyde, Quaker; Freddie, tiel; Rocky, umbrella cockatoo.
I only allow Clyde on my shoulder if he's not in a berserker mood, and my pigeon. One tiel prefers the top of my head and everyone else is happier on my hand or lap, anyway.

Most Reactions

Latest posts