Are greys a cuddly parrot?

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
The only greys I have been in contact with before Ida were far from cuddly. So it made me want to ask if any grey owners on here have a cuddly grey? Ida is a super cuddly parrot. She loves to bury her head under my chin or hair and could sit there forever while I pet her. Is this maybe a baby behavior, or just a grey thing? Not that I am complaining, I love it, and will be sad if she decides she doesn't want to cuddle anymore.

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
Congo African Grey (Lulu)
I don't think African Greys are good cuddlers. Lulu, my CAG do not enjoy to get head scratches or anything like that. She will much rather play and be goofy :p. Sometimes she will lower her head to get a scratch, but that will only last for maximum one minute ;).

Ida sounds like a gorgeous bird! I Think you are lucky that your Grey turned out to be a cuddler :D.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
As a general rule, Greys are not overly cuddly. However, their extreme intelligence gives them a wide range of personalities. Some are quite cuddly.

Gandalf was fairly cuddly, but grew out of it as he got older.

Bitty is an absolute snuggle bunny...always wanting head rubs.

There's no predicting it.

leomacaw

Jul 13, 2010
Hong Kong
Parrots
2 Greys, 2 Yellow Sided Conures, 1 Jardine's & 1 Lovebird.
Well, it depends.
I have a boy Grey and 2 girls Grey.
The boy is so sweet and he will climb up to my shoulder whatever to get my attention while the girls are always calm and look at what I am doing.

OP
Abzeez

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
The breeder I got her from did tell me Ida was rare amoung greys, or at least any she had raised. She does have a wonderful personality, and has no problem being exposed to new things. Today we went for a walk further then usual. It was no problem, the other day to the pet store, didn't phase her, but she does LOVE to cuddle. I will have to get a picture of it and post it. :)

schristensen13

Oct 6, 2010
Chico, CA
Parrots
Meyers (Kevin) and CAG (Mariah)
My Grey isn't very "cuddly"....she isn't big on head scritches but is ok with a stroke or two down her back. Her favorite place to be in the world is up on my shoulder...I always joke that she would be very happy to be owned by a pirate. She could stay up there all day!

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
The breeder we got Ruby from says that socialization has a lot to do with how cuddly Greys are. My Ruby-bubi doesn't cuddle the the extent that Jade does, but she love to sit on my shoulder and let me rub her head. And she'll nuzzle against my neck and cheek. Sometimes she likes me to scratch and tickle her neck and shoulders, and sometimes she doesn't. If she doesn't she politly moves my hand back with her beak.

When she's really happy and content during these cuddly times, she says "I love you. I love my Ruby-bubi" over and over again.

dna

Feb 27, 2011
Media
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Isabella ~ African Grey Congo (female)/
Malachai ~ Soloman Eclectus (male)/
Willow ~ Sun Conure (female)/
I have to say that my grey is extremely cuddly....that was how she made me choose her when I got her. The breeder held her out to me after me looking at all the birds he had available, and she literally walked up my arm and layed her head against me. She is still that way years later, and loves to be head scratched more than anything. She even begs for them ("scratchy, scratchy...come on scratchy").

So I definitely agree on it depending on the personality of your grey. They are so much like people personalities and vary from bird to bird <3

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
My gray which I had for over 10 years & who was a hand fed baby that I finished hand feeding did not like to be handled very much & was not at all cuddly!!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Mishka (AG) loves to cuddle now and again, loves his head to be rubbed.
Had a female African Grey GiGi (passed away) she loved to climb into our t-shirts, snuggle her head in our arm pits and fall asleep, for hours on end.

Some humans love to be cuddle others not, I reckon birds are exactly the same.

It all depends on the bird, their personalities etc

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Rosie (TAG) does not like being touched very much but does bow head for tickles. I have developed saying touch to her before I touch her and she is OK with that but it is not a cuddle. With training, she now lets me file the nails on her feet.

NovaBird

Aug 22, 2011
DFW, TX
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Ive only had my 7 yr old grey for 3 months and Nova LOVES to nuzzle his beak in my hair or on my shoulder and let me scratch his neck forever! He also likes it when I nuzzle my head against his body while he sits on my shoulder. He leans into my head. :22:

TakRail

Dec 27, 2009
Sacramento
Parrots
Congo African Grey & B&G Macaw
Cosmo, our 1 year old Grey, is very cuddly. He loves sitting on my hand near my chest so I can nibble on his head and neck with my lips.

Netty

Jul 30, 2011
GTA ontario
Parrots
none yet. have owned avians in the past
I bird sat 2 greys every weekend for 3 years, shania was cuddly celine not so much LOL i like to compare greys to my ex's and my hubby....

NONE of my ex's were cuddlers...
My hubby LOVES cuddling...
That's a 7:1 ratio

THEREFORE:
One in every so many of a species will change the norm LOL

Munkys

Jul 1, 2011
CT
Parrots
Meiko, 9-year old Moustache
Just out of curiosity, would you lovely, experienced grey owners be more inclined to say that Congo's are more so than Timnehs? :rolleyes:

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
I have a six-year-old male Congo. I know he's not the norm, but he's AS cuddly as a big white cockatoo! I mean he will hang upside down, fall into the crook of your arm, and just lay there for an hour or more, getting his head and eyes rubbed, under his wings, his beak, or anywhere EXCEPT his bright red tail. The tail is OFF LIMITS. He is WAY tail proud. You touch those tail feathers and his eyes just BLAZE daggers into the offender. I did not expect a Grey to be THIS cuddly but this particular bird just is.

musser1972

Jun 24, 2011
Ohio
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I can only speak for mine. He is a Congo and he is Extremely cuddly and lovey. Only with me though :)

ebohacek

Aug 26, 2011
Good question! My boy is not very cuddly but he loves his head scratches. What he likes the most is to be with his flock at all times and when we turn the TV off he know it’s time for bed. They love to be included in everything you do, but remember they can be very shy when introduced to new things. Between all the birds I have my favorite is the Grey. His is chattering while I a typing this message. You will never regret a Grey.

Tommy African Grey Congo
Baby Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Wilbur Harlequin Macaw

critterman

Jan 1, 2011
Maryland
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure.
Yes I have 2 African Greys and they both love to be petted and cuddled. I find mine to be very affectionate and they always want my attention or to be out of their cage following me around their play room. I say if you spend lots of time with your Grey it will come to learn to bond with you and will look forward to your attention and cuddle times together, so go for it. Good luck!

Most Reactions