Are Pionus parrots good?

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I absolutely adore my Pionus. She was re-home from CL at the age of eight. She bonded with me almost instantly. She loves to have her head pet and would sit on me all day if she could. She tolerates being pet by other people but will rarely go to other people.

She is not loud. She will make noise if someone new comes into her space or if she gets nervous but even that isn't very loud. She does occasionally "honk" like a goose, which I think is adorable.

I happen to love her smell. She probably gets tired of being sniffed.

From everything I have heard from pionus parents there is a huge difference in males and females, with females being much more calm and laid back, not nearly as much aggression.

My Maxi Pi has never bitten me, but did bite my mom once after giving very obvious cues which my mom ignored.

Oh, and she is a perch potato for sure. She does chew wood toys but is not very active.

That is TOO funny.. sounds EXACTLY like how Pascal came to our home! Rehomed from CL at 6 years old, he loves us both but my boyfriend is the favorite.
Doesn't do much, chews on wood toys, sometimes while upside down..
He makes the 'honking' noise, too. That's a big flag for why I want him DNA'd LOL he acts like a girl!!

parrotlover1176

Apr 7, 2014
Parrots
Senegal, Maximillian Pionus, 2 Cockatiels, Ruppell's
That is TOO funny.. sounds EXACTLY like how Pascal came to our home! Rehomed from CL at 6 years old, he loves us both but my boyfriend is the favorite.
Doesn't do much, chews on wood toys, sometimes while upside down..
He makes the 'honking' noise, too. That's a big flag for why I want him DNA'd LOL he acts like a girl!!

Yeah, he does sound like a girl. Either way he sounds like a great bird!

deshud

Jul 13, 2013
Parrots
1 parrotlett
1 whitecapped pi
soon 1 blue headed pi
I have an older white capped ( for three months), we have an issue with cage aggression, but thats to be expected. Ivan is very quiet, whistles, but has had a couple of screaming fits ( when he can't get to his favourite bell), but every parrot can scream. His personality is coming out every day. I just got my baby blue head yesterday. I have 2 old dogs and had to rehome a couple of birds because of their high pitch chirp ( brown head and red belly). So, now I stay away from the poicephelus family. Which is very difficult to because they are great birds, there's a ruppell in the bird store that really needs a home, but I don't want to have to rehome another bird. I like the uncommon species, it's very difficult for me not to buy the ruppell, but I really don't want to take that chance. My dream bird is a painted conure, waiting on eggs with a toronto breeder.

Have you looked at brown heads? They are smaller birds, good apartment birds, I would have kept mine, but it was her high pitch chirp that hurt my dogs ears. She wasn't that loud, I have louder parrots that doesn't bother my dogs.

Most Reactions