are trips away from the bird ok?

urigard

Dec 17, 2009
I was wondering if, when i go to see my mother, if 7 days away from my pet quaker would be traumatic on the bird or am i just worrying too much?
I dont have the bird yet and wanted to know all i could know about the quaker before i got him his name will be alvin and im hoping he will be a he lol

justwingingit

Nov 28, 2009
Media
New Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Macaws: Hyacinth, B&G's, Greenwings, Scarlets, Blue Throated. Afr Grey, Cuban Amazon, Caiques, et al
Can you take the bird with you? Some airlines will let you travel (in the cabin) with your bird. I took my Grey, Simon with me to California one year. We had a great time. I put a collapsible cage in cargo with toys, food, etc. just carrying with me enough to entertain her during the day or if we got delayed. Even if you're driving, you could consider this. If this is not possible, and you have your bird at home, have someone come in to take care of the bird or find a reputable place to board the bird. I have 3 dogs and about 27 birds so I cannot board them. I do have someone who helps me on Saturdays, so the birds know her very well. When my husband and I do go away (once a year usually) she stays here at the house and then sleep here at night. If you have someone in mind, have them come over to your house often and help with the care of the bird. This way their not a stranger. Either way, after weighing the options, maybe wait and get the bird after your visit. Keep us posted. Hope this helps some.:blue:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I'd second everything Justwingin' said.

Owning a bird ties you down as much (if not more) than having a kid. It can be easier to find a baby sitter than a bird sitter as experience with the former is more common.

Will seven days away be 'traumatic'? Not if he is in good hands while you are away. But also consider that he is not sure you are giving him a long term home. You bring him home, spend a few weeks with him, then there is a new person for a week, then you come back... This is not a very good way to make him feel secure in the beginning of the relationship. So it really depends on the scheduling of when this is all going to happen. If you are traveling soon I'd agree with Justwingin' in that it may be best to wait until you return to bring him home.

Chaos_1.0

Jul 1, 2009
East Texas
Parrots
Cockatiel, Lovebird, 3 Parakeets
So in a year and six months? I would say it would be fine if you got the bird soon. I have my cockatiel who is about a year old and I am going on a vaction at the end of the month. And he will be fine. I take him to a local bird store that boards that birds and he is fine. When he was about 6 months old I went on a week long vacation. It didn't bug him in the least.

Most Reactions

Latest posts