arty

artyone

Nov 27, 2009
Hello to all I have recently just got a cockatiel he is a sweetie I had a scare this morning he broke a blood feather I proceeded to do what the first aid book said and pulled it he stopped bleeding I got the whole shaft and put flour on it like I was tild....Is the danger over now?? .....

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
It should be. It might be sensitive leading him to pick at it... but this isn't particularly likely.

Keep an eye on it, but if the feather came out clean and you cleaned him up there really shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
The first thing to do if you see a feather bleedig is not to panic and I know this will be hard because our little feather friends only have so much blood to go around. Prefferable get the bird to a vet after putting on corn starch but not stiptic. Stiptic interfears with the re growth of the feather. All bird owners should have an emergency kit with a hemostat or needle nose pliers. If you must pull out the feather because of blook loss, pull it straight out and support the skin area some with your other hand. Give one slow methodical tug and pull. Bleedng should stop. I would still take bird to vet to make sure all parts of the feather came out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts