Australian Parrots

Benjamin

Nov 15, 2012
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Australian King Parrots / Crimson Wings as hand reared companions?

Also the Australian Superb Parrot interests me it would be great to get some more information about how they are as hand raised companions.

How do these birds compare to a GCC in terms of companionship and noise levels ( I live in an 8 Unit Apartment block )

Thank you :)

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I don't have experience with those species however each bird I have been interested in I have googled Information on blank parrot as a pet and it gives you lots of websites to choose from and lots of info on the particular parrot that you are asking about.:D

OP
B

Benjamin

Nov 15, 2012
Thank you for your reply :)

My curiosity for the King Parrot came from a walk in the park about a month ago.

I saw one of the males sitting on a wattle tree and came within 30cm's of him before he flew away. It was amazing!

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
They are very gentle companion parrots, don't make a lot of noise & all have a pleasent contact call & have the ability to talk. They are a medium size parrot so would need a roomy cage. The males are more colourful than the hens. But very suitable for apartment living. My favorite is the Kings.

GCC are cute full of attitude & even though small can have a loud call when they want to.

dragonlady2

Oct 3, 2010
Canada
Parrots
Eclectus-Willy, Alexandrine-Oliver, Two Barrabands -Joey and Peewee, Plumhead-Peanut, Senegal-Mookie, Australian King-Bella, Peachfront conure-Peachygirl, Crimson belly conure-Pepper, Parrotlette
I have a female Australian King. She loves her baths, loves to sit on me, but does not like to be petted. She steps up, is very gentle and gets along with most of my birds but has gotten a little testy with my plum head as he has taken over her favourite spot on the boings. I also have two male barrabands. They are awesome, they talk, like to sit with me and even have naps on me, just can't handle them, but do not bite if I pick them up to put them back in their cages.

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
I don't have any experience with hand reared or tamed ones, but i used to live in Victoria in the Mt Dandenong ranges and the Kings are all through there. It is because of this that i know they can be quite loud. but i imagine that with proper training like many parrot species it could be kept to a tolerable level. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts