Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
question

I have a question about the need for the parent in the nest box.
My oldest chick (yellow one) is 18 days old today, youngest is I think 8 days.
Nether parent is spending the nigh in the nest box with the hatchlings.

Is this normal and ok? Can the chicks stay warm enough?

Last 2 nights I have put the chicks in a home made brood box.
It keeps the temp. above ambient but not more that 80ºF.

The non parrot people I have asked think that because the chicks are so large the parent's don't think it is necessary any more.

any thought ??
texsize

OP
X

Ximichi

Jul 31, 2015
New York
Parrots
Parakeet: Pineapple
Cockatiels: Smokey, Cinder
Re: question

I have a question about the need for the parent in the nest box.
My oldest chick (yellow one) is 18 days old today, youngest is I think 8 days.
Nether parent is spending the nigh in the nest box with the hatchlings.

Is this normal and ok? Can the chicks stay warm enough?

Last 2 nights I have put the chicks in a home made brood box.
It keeps the temp. above ambient but not more that 80ºF.

The non parrot people I have asked think that because the chicks are so large the parent's don't think it is necessary any more.

any thought ??
texsize

Not sure! My cockatiels tend to do that too--not overnight but they will spend a few hours out of the cage. I hope more experienced breeders will be able to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
Yeah I dont know either. One clutch mine did that too. I put a reptile heater under the nest box. The chic got too hot. I moved the heater to just be on one small corner. It seemed to work fine. All chicks survived.

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
My parents are already mating again. Rearranging the room didnt help. Food restriction doesnt seem to be helping.

Accidentally knocking cage off dresser with nest box and one baby in it hasnt slowed them down.

The fake cockatiel eggs I ordered were too big. I put 3 in the box anyway. I guess ill see what hapoens next.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Back to the OP and the question about parents in the nest box. Yes that's unusual, are you weighing the chick's daily. Are the parents back to mating? I usually pull chick's at about 21 days and parents are still in the nest box. Have they abandoned the chicks. BTW what size box do you use.

Last edited:
OP
X

Ximichi

Jul 31, 2015
New York
Parrots
Yes, I am weighing them. They are growing every day. They aren't mating. I think mine is 12inx12x12.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Back to the OP and the question about parents in the nest box. Yes that's unusual, are you weighing the chick's daily. Are the parents back to mating? I usually pull chick's at about 21 days and parents are still in the nest box. Have they abandoned the chicks. BTW what size box do you use.

No more mating going on, parents look tired at end of day.
Have not been weighing chicks but can. What time is best to weigh chicks?
Visualy they are all developing well except youngest chick with one eye stuck shut.
Have to go 2 work now.
Family watches when I am not home.
Texsize

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Are you co-parenting or handfeeding? If so I would weigh them before first feeding in the morning. If parent raised I would try to weigh them before parents feed them.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Are you co-parenting or handfeeding? If so I would weigh them before first feeding in the morning. If parent raised I would try to weigh them before parents feed them.

I will start to weigh them in the morning. The parents are doing a very good job at feeding them. I just make sure to handle them a few minuets every day for socialization.

I was just concerned that they were not being kept warm during the night.
room temp at night is around 72ºF.
there little bodies are very warm during the day. So far they have been very comfortable in my brooder. They sleep most of the time and only move to stretch or go potty (usually at the opposite end from the sleep area). no shivering or panting.

henpecked, Did you see the photo of the youngest chick and his closed eye? If so do you have an opinion ? I am still debating if it's worth disrupting the chicks feeding schedule for about 2 hrs. for a vet to look at it.
See
Eye problem or normal

thanks
texsize

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
I'll try to review that when I have a few moments. Have you tried a q-tip wet with sterile water. If you need to carry babies to the vet place them in a dark shoe box, less stress.

OP
X

Ximichi

Jul 31, 2015
New York
Parrots
5b9f9da9236c3c8ec7fe28521d37c844.png
eldest opened his eyes today :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Look at that precious face!!!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
How cute.
was it about 10 days after hatching ?
texsize

OP
X

Ximichi

Jul 31, 2015
New York
Parrots
Yes, 8 to be exact

OP
X

Ximichi

Jul 31, 2015
New York
Parrots
Here's the whole family :)
89799a2b2031bcfe0fb332194ff552c6.jpg

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
eating on his on

My first hatched chick Angle came out of the nest box and started eating real food today.:):yellow1:
this is 6 days less than one month old.
I don't know what's going on with the feathers on her cheek's. If I had to guess I would say it's the father doing it but I have never caught him at it.

The father bird is still spending a lot of time and effort in feeding the babies so I can't separate him yet. Hopefully Angle will be spending more time outside the nest box and I will be able to find out what the problem is.
EDIT:
I found Sunny the mother in the nest box picking the feathers on Angle. I have removed her for the moment.
I don't like doing this as I have been unable to hand feed the babies. I have tried 3 or 4 times and they just don't eat the way I see them eating from hand feeding in videos. I am very much afraid to force the issue and have them choke or aspirate the food.
This is where someone with real experience is needed.

texsize

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
So Mama bird (Sunny) only has supervised visitation with her 3 babies. I put her in the cage and she feeds all three birds. As soon as she starts picking feathers I put her back in her own cage.

Have been able to hand feed all babies with a small syringe. We try to give them 3 feedings a day. Dad is still feeding them and they are eating regular food to (millet seeds and shredded carrots and apples).

They are all starting to perch on the lowest perch and exercising there wings. Very active little birds.
texsize

OP
X

Ximichi

Jul 31, 2015
New York
Parrots
067027ccd7c6686a152563647ba6d506.jpg

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
very cute. It's amazing how fast they get bigger.

Here is the latest picture of mine. Today marks 30 days exactly since my lutino Angle was hatched.

texsize

Last edited:

Most Reactions