Baby Female Eclectus

HelenG

Feb 7, 2015
South Africa
Parrots
Timneh Afican Grey Male
Eclectus Female
Hi all

I am from South Africa and have just purchased a baby Eclectus Female which we have named Scarlett. I noticed someone else also had an Eclectus called Scarlett. Little Scarlett is just over 6 weeks old and is doing well. We have had her for 6 days now. I have tried to do some research on the internet but have not found answers to my questions. At what age are these little beauties able to sit on a perch and when do they begin to have start eating on their own. At the moment Scarlett is on a special Avian food for two week old chicks up the the fledgling stage.

I would appreciate any assistance for guidance as this is a completely new experience for me.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello Helen, and welcome to the Forum!

I have no experience in hand-feeding, but there are many here that do who I am sure will chime in soon enough.

But, that said, I would encourage you to either find an experienced hand-feeder in your area to help you with this process, or ask the store/breeder from whom you purchased Scarlett to keep her until she has fully weaned. I say this because hand-feeding can be very dangerous to the baby in the hands of someone who hasn't done it before. (Which I assume is the case, given your questions.)

The food given has to be warmed up, but if it's too hot it could burn the crop and kill the baby ekkie. There is also a serious danger of rapid asphixiation if the formula accidentally goes down the airway. There is also the possibility of an impacted crop, or an infected one.

I don't say all of this to discourage you and sour your experience of bird ownership. Far from it. I just don't believe a breeder should ever part with an unweaned baby bird unless he/she is certain the baby is going to an experienced hand-feeder.

As for when she might be able to stand on a perch on her own, you could probably provide a low-standing perch for her right now. If she's not ready yet, she soon will be.

And as for eating on her own, that's a gradual process. And the exact duration of time varies according to each individual and each sub-species. She could wind up fully weaned anywhere between 3 and 7 months. In the meantime, you can start introducing her to a large variety of fruits and veggies. This is around the exact time you shoiuld begin doing so. Eventually, she'll gravitate more toward these foods and less toward the formula. And she'll go down to 3 formula feedings, then 2, then 1, and finally she'll be weaned. She'll let you know when she's ready.

Do you know Scarlett's sub-species?

Also, check out the website Land of Vos. You'll find lots of valuable information about ekkies. Hope this helps!

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
Welcome Helen! It sounds like you have a little beauty on your hands! I wish I could offer advice but when Oliver was Scarlett's age the breeder did all the feedings and I visited....for a good five months! He came home ready to go with food choices hand ability to handle a big cage. I wish you the very very best...and for sure you are in the right spot. I've learned so much from this forum and continue to learn every time I'm here...which is often. :22:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello and Welcome to the forum, Helen! Congratulations and best of luck with your little sweetheart!

OP
H

HelenG

Feb 7, 2015
South Africa
Parrots
Timneh Afican Grey Male
Eclectus Female
Hello Helen, and welcome to the Forum!

I have no experience in hand-feeding, but there are many here that do who I am sure will chime in soon enough.

But, that said, I would encourage you to either find an experienced hand-feeder in your area to help you with this process, or ask the store/breeder from whom you purchased Scarlett to keep her until she has fully weaned. I say this because hand-feeding can be very dangerous to the baby in the hands of someone who hasn't done it before. (Which I assume is the case, given your questions.)

The food given has to be warmed up, but if it's too hot it could burn the crop and kill the baby ekkie. There is also a serious danger of rapid asphixiation if the formula accidentally goes down the airway. There is also the possibility of an impacted crop, or an infected one.

I don't say all of this to discourage you and sour your experience of bird ownership. Far from it. I just don't believe a breeder should ever part with an unweaned baby bird unless he/she is certain the baby is going to an experienced hand-feeder.

As for when she might be able to stand on a perch on her own, you could probably provide a low-standing perch for her right now. If she's not ready yet, she soon will be.

And as for eating on her own, that's a gradual process. And the exact duration of time varies according to each individual and each sub-species. She could wind up fully weaned anywhere between 3 and 7 months. In the meantime, you can start introducing her to a large variety of fruits and veggies. This is around the exact time you shoiuld begin doing so. Eventually, she'll gravitate more toward these foods and less toward the formula. And she'll go down to 3 formula feedings, then 2, then 1, and finally she'll be weaned. She'll let you know when she's ready.

Do you know Scarlett's sub-species?

Also, check out the website Land of Vos. You'll find lots of valuable information about ekkies. Hope this helps!
Hi Scarlett has been hand reared and before I took her they showed me exactly how to feed her. She is doing very well on her food. I did a lot of research and you are absolutely correct, their food needs to be between 38 and 40 degrees centigrade otherwise they will not eat. Scarlett will be 7 weeks old on Monday and She has already grown these last 6 days that we have had her. I will post a picture soon. I was also told and (read on the internet) that they love to bath. I gave her a bath with a little spray bottle as directed by a fried who rears and rehabilitates wild birds and she loved it. I don't want to give her to someone else to hand rear. We have an African Grey Timneh who cannot stand my husband. The reason of hand rearing Scarlett is to introduce my husband to the wonderful world of birds as him and Joey (the Timneh) do not get on. I will check out the website and no, I do not know Scarlett's sub-species.

Thank you so much for your input.

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hi, Helen. We're definitely looking forward to those pics!

I always prefer to warn those new to hand-feeding of its dangers, as many who attempt it don't actually know. The only other thing I'd advise is to get a bird weight scale if you don't already have one. Preferably one that measures in grams and, if it has an included perch or you buy a perch add-on, a tare function. Then you can keep track of Scarlett's progress and make sure she's at the right weight. They grow so swiftly at this stage!

It's great that she loves bathing! Maya loves bathing as well. Bixby, however, merely tolerates it. Stoically. Lol!

Good luck with Scarlett and please update us on her progress!

Most Reactions

Latest posts