'Salsa' (Green-wing)

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
I agree with Wendy's advise.
Sometimes breeders advertise birds that they sell and perhaps showed the pictures of a baby GW at approx 4-5 months old.
The baby you received cannot be older then 2 to 2 1/2 months old.
I hope you know how to hand feed this GW, if not you can very easy kill them so know what your doing here.

as for the puffy throat, this is the baby's crop and it is normal to be full but not to over feed, this is the key.

I would seek help locally ASAP on this matter if I were you. I too would look for a local breeder of Macaws in your area who at a small fee might help out with this baby. If this fails, try to find a bird club in your area who might be able to help. Best of luck Joe

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
Our greenwing was an adult when he arrived, but his baby pictures arrived with him & IF I can find them quickly and IF I can scan them, I'll scan the young pictures by age, if that will help.

I understand he was named "Goose" because of his eating style - when he was hungry, he honked like a goose until someone fed him. He was an enthusiastic eater.

Best of luck with your little one.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm very sorry if I'm coming across as harsh or along those terms, however, I am absolutely against selling and shipping such young birds, especially to someone who is not experienced in handfeeding Macaws.

I also had an epiphany. If your baby GW came to you crusty, messy and dirty, he most likely threw up his formula during transport due to stress.

I found some videos for you to watch which explain handfeeding baby Macaws. But please remember, they are only guidelines, and handfeeding baby birds should always be left to professionals. :)

Peace - out.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTcuK-RIsgA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTcuK-RIsgA[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRLzLD_VgTk"]How to Hand Feed Blue and Gold macaw Babies - YouTube[/ame]

OP
L

luv4scjjt

Sep 26, 2012
upstate ny
Parrots
Jessie,african grey(Timneh)
Bayshing,harlaquin macaw
Fawx,greenwing macaw
Rizzo,greenwing macaw
Polly,catalina macaw
Ok, guys slow down a little please. First he wasn't all dirty and crusty except for the normal poo from being in a shipping container. Second I agree with not shipping birds this young but i wasn't aware he was this young. I was informed he was eight weeks old and the reason i chose this breeder was because the birds flight time was only 1 1/2 hr. Better then 8 or so from florida. I didnt want a bird on a plane for long. Granted not this young either. I had her at the vet today and besides the vet saying she is young she is very healthy. Third I am somewhat experienced. I hand fed both my grey's. May not be a macaw but still a bird and still same concept just bigger. I am aware of all the dangers of hand feeding. I also have a very good friend of mine who breed's blue and golds but i didn't want a blue and gold and Bayshing dont like blue and golds so that wouldn't fit for us. I am not typing any of this in protest to anything anyone has said i promis. I really do understand everyone's concern i am just calming your fears and setting concerns straight. I dont know if the breader lied or not. My vet brought up a good point and said that some times they will post the date the first egg hatched and it can take up to a week for all eggs to hatch so it is possable their was no lie intended. I am not bashing any breader. Thats not what i wanted. Just wanted everyones input on her age. She is a very healthy (be it young) baby. And you will all be able to watch her grow.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
I'm glad to hear that your baby is Healthy and was Vet checked.
My Neleno did not wean until he was approx 9-10 months old.
Any good breeder would not ship an unweaned bird period.
I'm glad you have hand feeding experience and you will need it. Macaws are very agressive when it comes to eating and will get more and more aggressive as they grow.
Just a FYI, let say that a Macaw lays 4 eggs, after approx 28 days, all eggs will begin to hatch sometimes within minutes or hours from each other, not months.
The Macaw on the Breeder's post is atleast 4-5 months old, the baby you received cannot be more then 2 or 2 1/2 months old.

I hope the very best for both you and your baby and would love and enjoy watching them grow. i may have missed the Baby's name. Best of luck Joe

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
Sorry for the triple post, but in case any of you wonder WHO would ship a Mac at such a young and tender age...well...I did some snooping and found it:
Baby Greenwing Macaw... Beautiful hand feeding babies. | Ozone Park | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 23604671

Oh dear!
from the link:
I am in the process of selling a baby Greenwing macaw that is currently being hand fed.

Greenwhings are genital giants. They are large birds but very sweet.

:eek: I had no idea Greenwhings were genital giants! I thought they were giant birds!

Adinafloyd

Jul 8, 2012
Slaughter, La
Parrots
Jax (CAG)
Scarlet (Ekkie)
Toot (TAG)
(YNA-Nappy, Gone but never ever far from my heart)
Oh dear!
from the link:
I am in the process of selling a baby Greenwing macaw that is currently being hand fed.

Greenwhings are genital giants. They are large birds but very sweet.

:eek: I had no idea Greenwhings were genital giants! I thought they were giant birds![/QUOTE]

LOL I totally missed that:32:

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Ok, guys slow down a little please. First he wasn't all dirty and crusty except for the normal poo from being in a shipping container. Second I agree with not shipping birds this young but i wasn't aware he was this young. I was informed he was eight weeks old and the reason i chose this breeder was because the birds flight time was only 1 1/2 hr. Better then 8 or so from florida. I didnt want a bird on a plane for long. Granted not this young either. I had her at the vet today and besides the vet saying she is young she is very healthy. Third I am somewhat experienced. I hand fed both my grey's. May not be a macaw but still a bird and still same concept just bigger. I am aware of all the dangers of hand feeding. I also have a very good friend of mine who breed's blue and golds but i didn't want a blue and gold and Bayshing dont like blue and golds so that wouldn't fit for us. I am not typing any of this in protest to anything anyone has said i promis. I really do understand everyone's concern i am just calming your fears and setting concerns straight. I dont know if the breader lied or not. My vet brought up a good point and said that some times they will post the date the first egg hatched and it can take up to a week for all eggs to hatch so it is possable their was no lie intended. I am not bashing any breader. Thats not what i wanted. Just wanted everyones input on her age. She is a very healthy (be it young) baby. And you will all be able to watch her grow.
luv4scjjt: You're obviously well-intended and clearly concerned about your new baby Greenwing. I think most of the reaction here is toward the breeder for 1) selling a baby bird that's way too young and 2) apparently misrepresenting its age. Breeders who sell extremely young birds make more money because they save the expense required to bring those birds to the weaning point. I think you've conveyed your reasoning quite well, by the way.

That said, I'm looking forward to updates about your new baby :)

Please take good care.

OP
L

luv4scjjt

Sep 26, 2012
upstate ny
Parrots
Bayshing,harlaquin macaw
Fawx,greenwing macaw
Rizzo,greenwing macaw
Polly,catalina macaw
Thank you plax, I was thinking everyone was upset with me. I just wasn't aware she was this young. I feel terrable buying one this young but i was told she was 8 weeks not 5-6. My vet asured me that what i was doing for her was correct so I have confidence she will be ok. I love her to pieces already. She is a great eater and her feathers are getting fuller and fuller every day. My grey's were almost completly featherd when i got them so this is the first time with a fuzzy baby. Except for being young she is very healthy. Im sorry to everyone it i jumped thinking you were all coming down on me. But i didnt want to start trouble for the breeder either. I really look forward to sharing all of our birdy story's with you all. I don't every really get to talk to anyone who loves these guys like my hubby and i do. Nice to find others that do.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
It's SO good to hear your baby is doing so well. :) PLEASE, I didn't want to sound like I was coming down on you, Plax was dead on, it was the breeder I was having a bit of a problem with - NOT you. ;)

Oh pretty please share some pictures with us...pretty please with sugar on top.

They grow SO fast, change in front of our eyes almost daily.

What is her/his name?

And thank you for the update. :)

OP
L

luv4scjjt

Sep 26, 2012
upstate ny
Parrots
Bayshing,harlaquin macaw
Fawx,greenwing macaw
Rizzo,greenwing macaw
Polly,catalina macaw
I can't get any pics at the moment I twisted my ankle pretty bad and am sitting with ice at the moment. But i promis to get new pics up as soon as i am able to hobble. lol. I am watching her play with her toys accross the room. I want to hold her all the time but i know thats not good for her so i restrain. I give her lots of attention but make sure she still has her individual time to learn to use her legs, beak and those angle wings. But it is sooooo hard. I just want to cuddle her. lol

OP
L

luv4scjjt

Sep 26, 2012
upstate ny
Parrots
Bayshing,harlaquin macaw
Fawx,greenwing macaw
Rizzo,greenwing macaw
Polly,catalina macaw
OOOHHHHH, sorry her name is Fawx, We were going to name her Phenix but i was sitting in bed holdeing her the other night and she reminded me of the phenix in harry potter when she was born again so i called my son (harry potter buff) and asked him what her name was. He said fox spelled fawx. So i named her Fawx.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Fawx, what an awesome, strong name! Love it!! So sorry to hear about your ankle. :eek: Sometimes twisted ankles can be more painful than actual fracturese, so I hope you recover quickly. :)

Must be tons of fun watching Fawx explore the world. And I don't know how you can refrain, lol, I'd be all over her 24/7. :eek:

OP
L

luv4scjjt

Sep 26, 2012
upstate ny
Parrots
Bayshing,harlaquin macaw
Fawx,greenwing macaw
Rizzo,greenwing macaw
Polly,catalina macaw
It is sooooo hard. I still play with her but when i hold her she's not using her legs. She's just starting to use her legs and take those first steps so i want her to exercise them. It is so cute watching her. She looks like a wind up toy. Albeit a clubsy wind up toy. lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts