BABY RINGNECK FEATHERS...Just a question???

INDI

Sep 12, 2011
Media
Port Elliot, S.A. - Australia
Parrots
INDIAN RINGNECK-Haro
&
KAKARIKI - Tiki
Hi all...
I have a question about my new baby ringnecks feathers...i got my little baby HARO exactly a wek ago...I was told he was 3 weeks old,when i picked him up, which isnt right, I'd say he is about 6-7weeks old...he has settled in very well, very sooky & cuddly, when he sees me & I call his name he bobs his head up & down, cheeping, like he's real happy to see me...he is also eating well...& I take him everywhere I go...lol
My main concern is his neck feathers, do they grow last??..Haro seems to have healthy feather growth everywhere else, but his neck is bare with no feathers, it looks as though little fluffy white feathers are sprouting, but they are not blue like the rest of them...Is this normal for his age??..
Any ideas??...here are some pics of HARO..
Thanks
Kristy

Last edited:
OP
INDI

INDI

Sep 12, 2011
Media
Parrots
INDIAN RINGNECK-Haro
&
KAKARIKI - Tiki
ok...so I had a quick look at some baby ringneck pics, around the same age as HARO..They all seem to have neck feathers with no bald spots...I'm wondering now if Haro is a defect....not nice to say but, I think he should have neck feathers...maybe the other 2 chicks he was with pecked his feathers out??..will they grow back??

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
He should have neck feathers at this age... You should only be able to see a bald spot, when the crop is full....

Maybe he has been plucked.. Could you ask the breeder? Have you had him to a vet, yet?

OP
INDI

INDI

Sep 12, 2011
Media
Parrots
INDIAN RINGNECK-Haro
&
KAKARIKI - Tiki
No he hasnt been to a vet yet...I get paid tonight, so i will look into a vet visit sometime this week...i didnt actually see haro before i purchased him,I saw his add on Gumtree, he was the only blue baby left out of the whole litter,i think there were some yellow ones too, but they were sold, & he was a good price , so i took a punt & had him on hold until i picked him up...he was brought out to me as he is now, I was told he was 3 weeks old, & i thought nothing of his missing feathers, as i knew he was a baby,& thought thats just how he was, & they were still growing....I have never owned a baby ringneck this young before, so it was a good feeling to have actually gotten him...
I want to know if his neck feathers will grow back soonish?? I havent seen Haro pluck them himself...only preen his wings...im sad now..i dont want him to have an E.T. periscope neck for much longer...lol

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
No he hasnt been to a vet yet...I get paid tonight, so i will look into a vet visit sometime this week...i didnt actually see haro before i purchased him,I saw his add on Gumtree, he was the only blue baby left out of the whole litter,i think there were some yellow ones too, but they were sold, & he was a good price , so i took a punt & had him on hold until i picked him up...he was brought out to me as he is now, I was told he was 3 weeks old, & i thought nothing of his missing feathers, as i knew he was a baby,& thought thats just how he was, & they were still growing....I have never owned a baby ringneck this young before, so it was a good feeling to have actually gotten him...
I want to know if his neck feathers will grow back soonish?? I havent seen Haro pluck them himself...only preen his wings...im sad now..i dont want him to have an E.T. periscope neck for much longer...lol

It really doesn't matter, if he has no feathers around his neck, as long as he gets a clean bill of health... I got Max of Gumtree as well... He was 4 weeks old, and it wasn't long before he was fully feathered.

A friend of mine has a cockatiel, who has no feathers around head and neck, but is a very affectionate bird...

If the vet visit is OK, I wouldn't worry about the feathers.. They might come in, they might not... Don't worry about looks...

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
No he hasnt been to a vet yet...I get paid tonight, so i will look into a vet visit sometime this week...i didnt actually see haro before i purchased him,I saw his add on Gumtree, he was the only blue baby left out of the whole litter,i think there were some yellow ones too, but they were sold, & he was a good price , so i took a punt & had him on hold until i picked him up...he was brought out to me as he is now, I was told he was 3 weeks old, & i thought nothing of his missing feathers, as i knew he was a baby,& thought that's just how he was, & they were still growing....I have never owned a baby ring neck this young before, so it was a good feeling to have actually gotten him...
I want to know if his neck feathers will grow back soonish?? I haven't seen Haro pluck them himself...only preen his wings...im sad now..i don't want him to have an E.T. periscope neck for much longer...lol

Just thought I wanted to tell you, that I work with people with intellectually disabilities... They don't fit the 'norm' - but... they are gorgeous people, and we need to understand that the way they look and behave, doesn't mean they are lesser than us (the perfect ones)

OP
INDI

INDI

Sep 12, 2011
Media
Parrots
INDIAN RINGNECK-Haro
&
KAKARIKI - Tiki
I understand fully, about him being different, I love him no matter what...i was just hoping,because Haro is a ringneck, & mite be male, & if he has no neck feathers, I will never see his stunning ring...sex pending...thats all.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
I understand fully, about him being different, I love him no matter what...i was just hoping,because Haro is a ringneck, & mite be male, & if he has no neck feathers, I will never see his stunning ring...sex pending...thats all.

I have the same feeling about Max... I've had him now for over 2 months, and I couldn't care less, if he was a female, and didn't get a ring.

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
No he hasnt been to a vet yet...I get paid tonight, so i will look into a vet visit sometime this week...i didnt actually see haro before i purchased him,I saw his add on Gumtree, he was the only blue baby left out of the whole litter,i think there were some yellow ones too, but they were sold, & he was a good price , so i took a punt & had him on hold until i picked him up...he was brought out to me as he is now, I was told he was 3 weeks old, & i thought nothing of his missing feathers, as i knew he was a baby,& thought that's just how he was, & they were still growing....I have never owned a baby ring neck this young before, so it was a good feeling to have actually gotten him...
I want to know if his neck feathers will grow back soonish?? I haven't seen Haro pluck them himself...only preen his wings...im sad now..i don't want him to have an E.T. periscope neck for much longer...lol

Just thought I wanted to tell you, that I work with people with intellectually disabilities... They don't fit the 'norm' - but... they are gorgeous people, and we need to understand that the way they look and behave, doesn't mean they are lesser than us (the perfect ones)

Perfect is subjective anyway. A diamond with a flaw is worth more then a perfect pebble, as they say. Just because someone (or something!) is mentally or physically handicapped or different (not all differences are a handicap, after all!) doesn't mean they aren't worthy of the love and attention we would give to a 'normal' person. :D;) It's what's inside that counts, and if you are a loving, good person (regardless of capabilities) you deserve the same back, I believe! Same for our feathered friends :yellow1:

Neck feathers or no neck feathers, you have a lovely bird! :p

Most Reactions