baby's first flight

scarperchick

Oct 25, 2010
chesterfield
Parrots
green ringneck- baby, also 2 yorkies- benny n ollie, 3 turtles- shelldon,tiny and didi and a rabbit- george and a budgie - sunny
well i decided when i got home from work to let baby have a fly around the room to stretch her wings so to speak..It would seem like she hasn't been out of a cage for a very long time as she was erratic and didnt seem to fly very well at all... i let her have run of room for about 15 minutes but after her crashing into wall a few times i thought it best to put her back in her cage for safety, as i didn't want her to hurt herself!

after this experience for her would it be wise to let her out again? or is she just going to be a cage bird? :( it broke my heart seeing her fly so badly :( but i really did feel that the flight might do her good...

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You may want to have her fly in a relatively safe room. Usually the bedroom would do if you are supervising her flight. The more she flies the better she will do. One does not sit in a chair for a long time and get up and walk well either. There are ways to exercise her wings because she most likely does not have the flight muscles in shape.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4452299_exercise-bird.html

OP
scarperchick

scarperchick

Oct 25, 2010
chesterfield
Parrots
green ringneck- baby, also 2 yorkies- benny n ollie, 3 turtles- shelldon,tiny and didi and a rabbit- george and a budgie - sunny
thanks guys it just worried me a little... i made room as safe as i possibly could but she just kept flying into the walls.... but yeah maybe your right and practice may make perfect :)

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
yeah mimsy was like that at first, bashing into things and landing weird. she opens her wings when she lands and looks at them like 'OMG where'd they come from' she definately needs to practice a bit more, supervised flights for limited time. keep up the good work scarperchick! x

OP
scarperchick

scarperchick

Oct 25, 2010
chesterfield
Parrots
yeah mimsy was like that at first, bashing into things and landing weird. she opens her wings when she lands and looks at them like 'OMG where'd they come from' she definately needs to practice a bit more, supervised flights for limited time. keep up the good work scarperchick! x

thanks honey :) well now i have I'll be letting her out everyday for short periods i think the 15 minutes were enough today as she seemed exhausted after and went to sleep lol bless her... will see how she gets on but im seriously thinking of getting her wings clipped for now just so i can try n train her to at least come onto my hand even if its to put her in cage safely oh btw my name is sandie :)

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
hi sandie!! LOL good idea to clip her wings and train her, you can always let them grow out at a later stage! x

OP
scarperchick

scarperchick

Oct 25, 2010
chesterfield
Parrots
hi sandie!! LOL good idea to clip her wings and train her, you can always let them grow out at a later stage! x

yeah that's what i thought too.. might be best cos i'm not really going to get very far with her if i don't i don't think lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts