Beak problems

gina11

Jan 8, 2016
We have a rescue green cheek with a beak problem. We were told He needs to go every 8 weeks for a trim. He doesn't have a pronounced hook like other. Is there anything that can be done to correct this?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Do you have a picture of his beak? What exactly is the issue with it? Depending on the issue, having him on a good diet may help some. I have a couple of birds with scissor beaks, and after their diet was changed, they still require some beak maintenance, but not nearly as often as when they first came.

OP
G

gina11

Jan 8, 2016
I haven't figured out how to post pics yet. His beak was recently trimmed so I'll have to wait till it grows out a bit. Meantime I'll figure out how to post pic.

OP
G

gina11

Jan 8, 2016
picture of beak

Attachments

• 0528162042_resized (1).jpg
    0528162042_resized (1).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 259

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Hi Gina11first of all I have to say your little Green cheek is Gorgeous...whats his name ? His heak is very unusual and I hope some of the experienced parrot owners here may be able to help and advise you. To me his beak looks quiete long so perhaps the vet is reshaping it in stages ...I really dont know but even without the hook Im sure there are toys you can get him (and you may have to encourage him to play with them if he has not been used of playing with toys) which might help keep his beak in trim naturally. Whether the shape of his beak will continnually need a trim every 8 weeks or so I couldnt really say. I hope someone comes along soon to give you some advice and answer your question. He is Beautiful and so lucky to have found such a wonderful parront in you

OP
G

gina11

Jan 8, 2016
Thank you for you input. His name is Ozzie and they guess he's around 10 yrs old. He climbs the cage pretty well but doesn't chew much.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Thank you for you input. His name is Ozzie and they guess he's around 10 yrs old. He climbs the cage pretty well but doesn't chew much.

Ozzie is Adorable :) He might not have been used of toys before you got him and so is not interested in chewing (presuming the shape of the beak doesnt hamper him from chewing stuff) but if you play with his toys in front of him he might eventually start to play and chew the toys himself. He's Gorgeous and his beak makes him uniquely Handsome :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts