bed time

AMR500

Feb 12, 2011
Hello everyone!

I've been trying over the past week to get Bela into a regular bedtime routine of 7pm-7am.
I put him in his old cage which is more like a roosting cage for the night. It's in my spare bedroom. I turn off all the lights and it's fairly dark in there. What do u think of this?
As soon as I put him in, he climbs right down and peeks out as if saying "please don't leave me". I feel bad, but know its for his own good.
Second question - he has ample water in there for the night, but I'm thinking I"m going to stop leaving food overnight. He NEVER touches it and it just ends up being wasted ( as he's only eating porridge consistency pellets still).

Suggestions would be appreciated.

willist

Sep 5, 2009
Tequesta Fl.
Parrots
CAG - Willis T.
Greenwing - Auggie
Harlequin - Connie
Blue&Gold - Charly
Maybe 7:00 pm is too early. My birds go to be around 8:45 pm, and sometimes my CAG will talk in the dark for several minutes.

OP
A

AMR500

Feb 12, 2011
well almost everywhere I've been reading people are recommending 10-12 hours of bedtime. He's just 2 years old. Once I put him in there he's quiet after I close the door until the morning when I open the door.
It's dark outside by the time I put him to 'bed' ...
Some nights I work oncall starting at 7pm.. so I was trying to pick a consistent time to say good night...

Thelly

Feb 22, 2011
My CAG goes to bed at 7pm till 7am. I've only had her for 3 weeks. She didn't have a bedtime at her last home. She seems a very happy bird.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Birds learn to adjust to your schedule. Mine adjusted pretty good. They don't even go to bed til mid-night. They get plenty of sleep during the day while I'm at work. I don't have any problem with them at all. You can tell when they're tired, they usually click their beak. Plus they get kinda cranky....As long as you have an adjusted schedule, it's fine!

jew1187

Jan 1, 2011
Currently in Rocky Mount VA, Phoenix in May.
Parrots
3 Parakeets, Jaiden, Topaz and Peridot. Baby boy, Skyler, Eclectus.
I try really hard to get Skyler to sleep at 8. Sometimes its earlier, sometimes its later. He does a fair job in adjusting to it. And he knows to be quiet for the most part until I start moving around. lol. All except for the middle of the night he normally goes through about five minutes where he wakes up in the middle of the night and starts making noise and then he calms down again. Its weird...

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
The times you chose are fine as long as the room is quiet and you could use a small night light if you want. I remove all food at night. Birds do not naturally eat or poop at night so why leave it in the cage. Of course the water is freshened.

OP
A

AMR500

Feb 12, 2011
excellent - thank you everyone!
LOL - I was beginning to gather this spirtbird, as I bring Bela out from his cage to the kitchen counter to make his breakfast, either on the way, or promptly after I have him step down to the counter he swings his butt over the side of the counters and BOMBS AWAY!!!! It's a massive big pile he lets out... so this morning I tried hesitating over the open garbage can he looked at me with big eyes as if "you're not putting me in there are you?" .. and the moment I swing my arm away... "BOMB". LOL - perhaps tomorrow I"ll try hesitating a little bit longer... or maybe it's too scary.. .regardless.. it certainly would be easier to clean up! lol

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
This is how I potty trained Rosie. If I catch her soon enough after waking I put her on the rim of the camode and she coorporates now that she understands what it is for.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I reckon a bird on the potty is the cutest sight

DSCN3514.jpg

OP
A

AMR500

Feb 12, 2011
Lol love it - will he go on his own though throughout the day?

Most Reactions

Latest posts